Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Hi friends, I have a question?

Can I fill my black water tank by filling it with water through my flush out nozzle on the outside of camper with out opening the black water tank valve or will that cause pressure. I want to clean and flush it out good and do not want to pull the hose into the camper to the toilet to do this!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
fordsuperdutyE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

You can, but you need to keep a hard eye on the tank level to keep it from backing up inside.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

For sure, these are vented on the roof right, I was worried this summer when we had a honey wagon take our black water thinking it would collapse my tank, but know now it is vented

Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply, have you done this yourself.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsuperdutyE350 View Post
Can I fill my black water tank by filling it with water through my flush out nozzle on the outside of camper with out opening the black water tank valve or will that cause pressure. I want to clean and flush it out good and do not want to pull the hose into the camper to the toilet to do this!

Actually, this is the way you should empty your black tank (typically final dump) every time. Will take longer and probably shouldn't be done at a dump only site but at the last full hook up location. repeat as necessary to get clear water flush. Just monitor the level indicator and if need be just open the toilet flush and look inside your tank. When doing this it should be the only concern and don't just walk off or engage in another activity till complete. Doing this procedure will keep your tank clean with no issues. This has been my procedure for many years and have never had an incident.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, have you done this yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums .
I have, I use the tank monitors inside when it gets to 3/4 I go shut the water off and let the tank sit for a few min then drain.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

Ok, and this is with black water valve shut? Sorry just double checking. Thank you both for responding, much appreciated...I just normally just used the flush and rinse on outside have filled tank once maybe completely with fresh water to flush and that was bringing the hose inside and into toilet. This will help a bunch much easier. I knew it was a rice but did not realize I could fill tank up with it, scared of pressure...

Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Plain Old Member

First thing we usually do when a camper is new, is time the filling of the tank. This may vary a little from place to place due to water pressure / flow, but for the most part we dump in our shop anyway (Full hook ups). I'll turn on the water, start the stop watch, then go watch from inside through the toilet with a flashlight if possible. On the trailers where you can see the end of the pipe, you'll know exactly when it's full. The fifth wheel proves a little more challenging sometimes when the waste pipe has bends in it. Either way, at that point I know when the "Oh Crap" point is. So if it's 10 minutes to completely fill, during flushing, I'll fill it for 7 minutes, then dump it. I don't trust the tank probes, as they are not always really at 1/3, 2/3 and full.

I'll second what bubbles said about being your only concern. We / I almost had an incident where I got sidetracked. I heard the gurgling of the vent pipe about the same time my wife hollered out the door (She was cleaning bathroom). In a mad dash / dive I pulled the drain valve and saved the day. Hadn't done that again since.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

So with the black water valve shut I can fill the tank without any damage? Lol I have done that also....

Old 10-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
So with the black water valve shut I can fill the tank without any damage? Lol I have done that also....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums Daves Outdoor World.
If your tank is vented correctly from the factory, then yes. I know there is a warning sticker on the unit against doing that but it is not an issue if vented. After emptying the last time put a little odorlos (or similar) in the tank with a few gallons water. Additionally, you don't have to incorporate other means of keeping the black tank clean such as the GEO method or the so called ICE CUBE method. After your done turn on your bathroom fan and there should be no odor coming from the black tank when you hold open the flush mechanism.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

Thanks Bubbles. I thought all this and knew most of the other stuff, but wanted to make sure about the flush port. I agree and am sure it is vented, and yes I did see the sticker warning and just wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot for the info.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

without a vent, the black tank wouldn't drain. All the waste water rushing out must be replaced by air, and since the toilet has a seal, the only place for air to get in would be a vent
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #13

Thanks Dave...I am sure they are all vented... Makes sense

Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

Well cleaned and flushed my black water tank and all is good. Thanks everyone....

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #15

I dump the black tank, close the valve, hook up the flush and then drop the galley tank and let it run a few minutes extra while the galley drips, then close the galley valve. I'll redump the black tank, letting the flush water out then let it keep flushing with the black valve open. Turn off the flush, drop the gray tank, while the gray drains I'll go around and drop in my black treatment. By the time I get back around the gray is done and is ready for a final hose rinse out.

Seems to be the most time efficient method. If I have time at the station I'll just let the flush run with the black open like you're supposed to, but I don't want to hold anyone else up.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Swift2

320RS new owner. Just got back from taking our first trip. When draining the Blackwater for the first three times I had to use the sprayer and refill the tank and empty it at least four or five times to get Clearwater to run. The sprayer doesn't seem to be working at all.I can hear the sprayer turning so I assume the hose to the sprayer is not kinked. Does anyone know where the sprayers are located in the tanks?
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote