Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Holding Tanks Not "Holding"

Hi! New here. Posted first post in Welcome forum. Now to ask a question.

We have a 2001 Cedar Creek 5th wheel and are permanently parked. Been in it for less than a month.

There are three holding tanks: Galley, Bathroom and Black. Each has a pull valve, like the braking system on a bicycle (the tube and wire part, not the handle-bar squeeze part...).

Galley and Black water pulls have little-to-no resistance when either pulling (to open) or pushing (to close). When I open the main valve it instantly drains what I believe to be both galley and black waters. So, two questions (maybe 3):

1) Do you think there is a chance for backwater contamination of the galley tank? Under what conditions? And is that bad? I don't smell anything so far. (Well, once I did, but it went away after I ran the galley water for a minute.

2) Is this something that desperately needs repair? As I said, we are permanently parked and actually haven't a tow vehicle. The under-carriage is all covered up, so you can't even see the tank's and their connection areas. (Sorry- don't know proper lingo for stuff yet! ) Since we don't take it anywhere, maybe it is something I can just deal with???

3) Guess there's no third question after all
Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

What diameter would you guess that "main" valve is? If it isn't 3", its not draining the black tank. The other two handles should be 1 1/2" valves for galley and bath grey water.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

By "no resistance" I think you believe they are no longer connected. The way to know for sure is to have all three valves pushed in and open the "master valve" (which I assume is something you have between the trailer dump connection and your sewer hose). With them closed, you shouldn't get anything dumped if they are working right.

So if that's the way it is, them yes, you may well contaminate the galley tank. Another problem is that you normally want to dump the blank tank first (and flush it out), followed by the galley tank (next level of "dirtiness"), followed by the gray tank. The point being to clean out the pipes a bit more with each one. I suppose if you're at a permanent site then there may be no reason to "clean out the pipes" however.

You will probably have to open up the bottom of the RV in order to find out what's gone wrong with those drain valve controls. It's not particularly fun, but you can do it.

I guess I should mention that there are "mobile RV mechanics" who will be happy to come to your site to work on anything you don't feel comfortable tackling yourself. No need to move your RV at all.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Unhappy Phooey!

Here's what I did: I put water in all three tanks (or so I thought). Had all three drain valves "closed" (or so I thought). Opened up the main valve and water flushed out. Let it drain thoroughly.

Then I pulled open the black and nothing came out. Opened up the galley and nothing more came out. Opened up the bathroom and water came out. Twice!!

Still under 30 day warranty and wisely bought extended warranty- guess I'll place the call....

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Good tests! And excellent that you have a warranty!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

I had a similar problem with the grey water valve leaking while the unit was still under warranty. It didn't originally have a "main" valve but the factories solution to the leak was to install one since it was such a huge job to get at the grey water valve to replace it. I don't think it is normal to have a "main" valve (at least The only one I have seen is mine) so maybe that same fix was done on your unit. I would sure jump on your warranty and get it fixed properly. The way it is, anytime your black water tank is fuller than your grey water tank it will flow into it. The best thing to do in the meantime is to keep your "main" valve open to prevent pressure build up that will cause backpressure to back fill your grey tank. And flush the toilet at least twice after use. If the valve on it is wide open as it seems, it will de-water and cause all kinds of grief. In fact, I would dump a bucket of water in it every couple of days. If you have an outside "sani-flush" and you are absolutely sure the valve is open leave a little water running to it constantly.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick42wood View Post
The best thing to do in the meantime is to keep your "main" valve open to prevent pressure build up that will cause backpressure to back fill your grey tank. And flush the toilet at least twice after use. If the valve on it is wide open as it seems, it will de-water and cause all kinds of grief. In fact, I would dump a bucket of water in it every couple of days. If you have an outside "sani-flush" and you are absolutely sure the valve is open leave a little water running to it constantly.
That may be what's required in the short run, but doing that for very long will leave you with a stopped up black tank. Black tanks have to have water in them.

Tags
tank