Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #1

hole in fresh water tank

So went to fill my fresh water tank this weekend and hear it splashing underneath. I look under and there is a silver dollar size hole with a white hose coming out next to it. Was there a plug or some other appliance originally attached there?
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #2

its not there any more , what ever it was ! So! go buy a bottle of black plastic sealer at rv place. ask whivh type for a water tank. get a piece of fiberglass matt at a f- glass place ,it sells by the foot ,or yard. cut a patch to cover hole, apply sealer on inside of cloth ,press on, let set , repeat. its flexible so you can patch near ,and on tube. water contamination ? not enough to be alarmed ,you drink city water, analize that water .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
So went to fill my fresh water tank this weekend and hear it splashing underneath. I look under and there is a silver dollar size hole with a white hose coming out next to it. Was there a plug or some other appliance originally attached there?
A picture would help. Fresh water tank will have an overflow as well as a drain, and could have 2 overflows. I can't imagine it should have a "hole" in it however so it could be that something vibrated out or loose along the way.
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #4

Is the hole on the very bottom of the fresh tank, or on the side? Where does the white hose go?

My initial thought is that you have 2 fresh tanks, and the crossover hose come undone.
Greenhound386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220124_102630[1].jpg
Views:	420
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	268137
Old 01-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
If this photo is from underneath, you certainly have lost some factory plug for some reason. I’d make a cover plug like was described earlier in post #2. That’s all I can suggest from where I’m sitting.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I've never seen that before. That looks like a pretty large hole. If the white hose is the overflow drain hose, it looks to be above that.....wait a sec, is that the chloroplast underbelly that you have cut away?

If so, I am guessing the white hose is running back to your water pump, or to the fill port. Either way I can't imagine that even if there was a "factory plug" there, it could hold the weight of a full tank of water very long (assuming this is the bottom of the tank?).

How new is the unit? I would venture a guess that this could be a factory defect where someone thought this was a front galley tank, cut a hole in it for the drain, saw the mistake and fixed it.

Thats the only thing I could think of. I suppose you could have a tank with a "quick drain plug" that unscrews, but why put that in a tank and bury it under the chloroplast? Doesn't make sense...
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

this is a 2020, it's been dragged all over the east coast for two years but this weekend was the first time I tried using the fresh water tank so there is no telling what was there or where I lost it. this picture is of the bottom of the fresh water tank. if you try filling it, it will flow out that hole.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
I like the woods

That could be where the low point drain or pump pickup were mounted. Is that hose detached at one end near that hole?
Previous:
2020 Airstream International Serenity 30RB towed by a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB 6.4 4x4
jsalbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like you had the new style low point drain, with gate valve based on the hole size. We have the same setup but it is in storage so I can not get a picture of the assembly. below is the valve that fell off, what I do not know is the part the goes into the tank and connects to the valve since I can not see mine. But i do remember a rubber seal that fits in the hole, just not sure how the valve was anchored to the tank.

Valterra T1001APW Fresh Water Gate Valve, Drain Valve 1-1/2" Valve Spigot x Slip, White

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T100...s%2C101&sr=8-1

Here is a place to start asking questions:
https://elkhartrvparts.com/collections/rv-tank-fittings
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Looks like you had the new style low point drain, with gate valve based on the hole size. We have the same setup but it is in storage so I can not get a picture of the assembly. below is the valve that fell off, what I do not know is the part the goes into the tank and connects to the valve since I can not see mine. But i do remember a rubber seal that fits in the hole, just not sure how the valve was anchored to the tank.

Valterra T1001APW Fresh Water Gate Valve, Drain Valve 1-1/2" Valve Spigot x Slip, White

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T100...s%2C101&sr=8-1

Here is a place to start asking questions:
https://elkhartrvparts.com/collections/rv-tank-fittings
I'll agree, looks like you had the newer blade valve tank drain and somewhere along the way it got knocked off. The hole appears to have a crack in the outer diameter where the fitting once was that the valve attached to so you may have some issues reinstalling into that tank.

Here's a photo of the valve and another internet snag of one on a R/V (kinda dirty but you get the gist)

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #12

Well, I never saw that coming! The question to the OP now, is the photo showing the hole exactly how you found it? Or did you cut away the chloroplast?

If that is how you found it, then this gate valve seems to be the ticket and something that fell off along the way. If you cut it away to look in there, then either it was never there (which if never used the FW tank, you wouldn't have known), or its bouncing around in the underbelly.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:20 PM   #13

the photo is how I found it. I recall the dealer showing me "something" under the wheel that was the fresh water low drain but that was several years back so I don't have memory of what it looked like. This contraption may be what was knocked off.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
the photo is how I found it. I recall the dealer showing me "something" under the wheel that was the fresh water low drain but that was several years back so I don't have memory of what it looked like. This contraption may be what was knocked off.
Sounds exactly like that is what it is. The question now is about what appears to be a small crack. Can that be repaired? Or do you have to replace the tank?

It also might not be a crack at all. It may be a gasket that is split in order to fit it in there, or maybe they cut it in order to make it easier to fit in.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:42 PM   #15

So what is the thoughts on using some of that epoxy stuff you get where it comes in two separate tubes and it mixes when you squirt it out. that stuff is really strong, but is it toxic?
Old 01-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #16

Lots of YouTube videos on installing tank fittings.
You will want to be able to drain the tank for winter.
parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
So what is the thoughts on using some of that epoxy stuff you get where it comes in two separate tubes and it mixes when you squirt it out. that stuff is really strong, but is it toxic?
They make some epoxy specifically for water applications so you might look into that. I've use the jb weld waterweld stuff but I wasn't really impressed.

There must be some kind of non toxic glue or epoxy they use at the factory?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #18

Epoxy will not "stick" or "bond" to polyethylene, in fact nothing adheres to polyethylene other than polyethylene. If that is a crack on the edge of the hole, you would need to bore a new hole and start with a new flange.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
They spin weld the fitting onto the tank . don't know of any epoxy that will work on a poly tank . you may need to get a new tank as there is no way to sandwich a fitting without access to inside the tank .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #20

Here is how the repair is made and there doesn't appear to be a DIY fix without any significant investment.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank