RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If the black tank has a flush device installed that handles the lack of "whoosh".

As for gray tank, no reason why a flush device couldn't be installed on that tank too although I've never had an issue with that tank on any of my TT's.
The 'whoosh' comes from the full tank emptying quickly into a 3" hose instead of being slowly forced out a 1" or less macerator hose.
If you are talking about a flush device that a water hose attaches to and sprays back into the tank side, they are useless except for back filling. The force of the water stream rarely reaches the actual tank in most RV setups. They are about as useful as most black tank flush systems. You can use the flush system until water runs clear, then backfill and it's amazing what still comes out
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The 'whoosh' comes from the full tank emptying quickly into a 3" hose instead of being slowly forced out a 1" or less macerator hose.
If you are talking about a flush device that a water hose attaches to and sprays back into the tank side, they are useless except for back filling. The force of the water stream rarely reaches the actual tank in most RV setups. They are about as useful as most black tank flush systems. You can use the flush system until water runs clear, then backfill and it's amazing what still comes out
I quit using the "regurgitating" type flush elbows years ago. Used a wand for a while but my current built in flush system does a good enough job for me.

My tanks rarely sit long enough to "ferment" as my storage time is measured in weeks, not months. That means lots of emptying and flushing. Anything remaining will most likely make it out the next time.

Everyone has their quirks but being OCD over my holding tanks is not one of mine. If they empty when I pull the valve and don't smell while camping, all is well as far as I'm concerned

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Since you can't put a septic drain or clean out on the other side of the house where you need it, can you have them put a clean out close enough to the street on the septic side so you can reach it with 30' of hose or so?
On a side note, be sure and mark on a map or an aerial photo where septic and leach lines are now, before you forget in a few years
And be sure your septic system is designed to accommodate the increase in volume that is dumped into it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #24

No option for a cleanout on the trailer side. According to the builder the only external cleanout will be on the opposite side. All others will be in the basement on the risers.

Macerator looks to be the best option. I don’t want to spend a lot for 1 dump per year.

I’ll probably just run a hose from the macerator around the house to the cleanout.

Volume shouldn’t be an issue. 3 bedroom septic but only two of us in the house.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
And be sure your septic system is designed to accommodate the increase in volume that is dumped into it.

Should be net zero. Occupants of the house are gone traveling in the TT so no use of the house septic, when returning they put in what they'd have used if they stay home, less if they've dumped while on the road.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #26

Dumb question, but you are paying to have a house built, why can't they do what you want? Is it a code issue? What if you wanted a bathroom on that side of the house? Just wondering. Not trying to start something.

Have Fun!!!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Should be net zero. Occupants of the house are gone traveling in the TT so no use of the house septic, when returning they put in what they'd have used if they stay home, less if they've dumped while on the road.

I believe the concern isn’t the amount over an extended time, but rather the sudden influx of a large amount of waste. This could cause the tank to “overflow” and effluent not ready to be discharged to be discharged into the leach field.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #28

As I said earlier, I can’t justify the cost to dump one time per year
Old 09-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
As I said earlier, I can’t justify the cost to dump one time per year
Agreed. Most folks don't seem to realize that once plans are drawn up, certified, and permits issued, it can be very expensive to change them.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
Retired Old Fart

New construction - ask to builder if you can talk to the septic contractor about running a side line to where you want it and tell him "at your expense". He should not care at that point. Even if the septic is already in, it can normally be added.

He just may not want to deal with it if he set the tank. Ask about bringing in your own sub contractor just for that if he's not willing.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
New construction - ask to builder if you can talk to the septic contractor about running a side line to where you want it and tell him "at your expense". He should not care at that point. Even if the septic is already in, it can normally be added.

He just may not want to deal with it if he set the tank. Ask about bringing in your own sub contractor just for that if he's not willing.
OP already asked and answered......
Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #32

I pump my tanks directly into a toilet off the garage. The tank gets back flushed as needed. If I could find the clean out trap in the lawn I'd use that.

Have to tie the end of the hose to the toilet so it doesn't come loose while this is going on. Sanitary sewer won't choke on this nor will a septic system assuming you're not poisoning the black tank. Hint: blue RV toilet stuff is normally poison.

-- Chuck
Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #33

? I've considered getting one to make it a one stop process when dumping at our house (clean out is not near the TT parking spot)? Just not sure if there is a limit on how far you can run the hoses...
Two shedding mutts
Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #34

If I wanted to do it... I would buy a blue tote deal and get after it for once or twice a year. Ymmv
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
? I've considered getting one to make it a one stop process when dumping at our house (clean out is not near the TT parking spot)? Just not sure if there is a limit on how far you can run the hoses...
Consider that you might need to dump your tank at a location where you don't have access to pressurized water. If using it only at home, not a problem. But, if you want to use it while out boondocking, then what?
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

Have to tie the end of the hose to the toilet so it doesn't come loose while this is going on.
That's why I'd rather use the cleanout. I don't want to have a large "accident"
Old 09-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #37

Sewer Solution will not work. I have and use one but only on full service sites as it will not pump up hill and the distance is limited by the length of the hose and the "official" hose extension. Maybe 12 or 15 feet?

I use a powered maceration pump at home which will pump at least 50 feet and up hill enough to get into the bathroom that's just off my garage and up 5 or 6 steps.

Toilet is a second choice since I can't locate the cleanout.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #38

I'm guessing the folks posting to dump at home go though all these hoops to dump because nothing is close?

https://www.rvdumps.com/
Old 09-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Sewer Solution will not work. I have and use one but only on full service sites as it will not pump up hill and the distance is limited by the length of the hose and the "official" hose extension. Maybe 12 or 15 feet?

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck - that's good to know!
Two shedding mutts
Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #40

I dump at home sometimes because:

1. The obliviots at the state park dump sites take 20 minutes to dump and back flush several times, then clean up before moving their trailer out of the way so the next guy can take 20 minutes to duplicate the process. Being 3d or 4th in line and waiting over an hour just to dump ain't in my schedule. (If there's no line I dump going out of the camp.) I suspect these are the same people who arrogantly leave their cars at the fuel island blocking the pumps while they go inside for a snack or potty break.

2. I can pump my tanks as a concurrent task while preparing the trailer for her next mission.

I use of an enzyme and Odorlos just like in our boats where we only pump the holding tanks when they were full and that's only a couple times a season (can't legally dump overboard in inland waters). No reason RV tanks need to be empty and spotless. Easy enough to dump entering as leaving if needed.

Gray water goes on my lawn.

-- Chuck