Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
No dump stations near the house? Mr google can help.
This is the route I would go. Try Sanidumps to find locals, you will be surprised at the results!

When we went to leave from our most recent trip to Killen's Pond SP in DE, the dump station was full (overflowing with liquid in fact - eww). Asked if we could just drive to the next closest SP (Trap Pond SP) since it was only a little out of the way and still dump for free. Yup no problem.

Checked out Sanidumps when we got home (I had no idea before) and found I drove right by a free station at a local town municipal sewage treatment plant. Two separate stations, hoses, sewer line dump hole in manhole cover, freebie. Nice to have that bit of knowledge now!
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #42

Quote:
I'm guessing the folks posting to dump at home go though all these hoops to dump because nothing is close?

https://www.rvdumps.com/
Wow, they only show two dump stations in the entire state of DE? Incomplete in the extreme! Sanidumps has 16 within Sussex county alone (lower DE).

But, I would imagine there are some holes in the Sanidumps data as well. So between the two you should be able to find something reasonably close, and possibly free.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #43

Nice website to find dumpsites! Thanks.

I'm currently only a few minutes from Pocahantas State Park (VA) but already own the pump which I bought years ago when there were no remotely convenient dump sites near by in Cleveland.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #44

Quote:
I'm guessing the folks posting to dump at home go though all these hoops to dump because nothing is close?

https://www.rvdumps.com/
Nope, mainly convenience.
We only DUMP at a dump station when necessary, as in I don't want to drive to our next destination with all the tanks full after weeks of boondocking. No backfilling and rinsing, no black tank flush. Pull up, put short sewer hose on outlet, pull the handles, leave. Less than 10 minutes, usually 5.
These days there is almost always a line of RVs at any dump station, so if I can get in fairly quickly, I will, otherwise I just haul it onward.
If we are going home, I will backfill and flush to my heart's content when I get there, where I can take all the time I want and not inconvenience anyone, including myself. If we are going to a full hookup destination, I will do that there if needed.
Dump stations are usually nasty, inconvenient, and in high demand. Why use one unless you have no other choice?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Sewer Solution will not work. I have and use one but only on full service sites as it will not pump up hill and the distance is limited by the length of the hose and the "official" hose extension. Maybe 12 or 15 feet?

I use a powered maceration pump at home which will pump at least 50 feet and up hill enough to get into the bathroom that's just off my garage and up 5 or 6 steps.

Toilet is a second choice since I can't locate the cleanout.

-- Chuck
Good info. thanks.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
All,
Our house is FINALLY beginning construction, so I'll soon be able to park the camper at home.

Unfortunately, due to terrain, I can only park the camper on the side of the house opposite to where the septic will be. So I won't be able to add a dump port to the septic.

I always dump before we leave the CG, just to not have to tow extra weight. But I would like to be able to do a fill and enzyme treatment at the end of every season.

What would be the best option to dump the trailer after that?

I'm thinking macerator.

I don't know if there will be any plumbing cleanouts on that side, but I really doubt there would be. But I don't know for sure.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Make sure they add a cleanout where you want it. Won’t cost much.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #47

If you decide on a Portable Macerator Waste Water Pump, check on eBay. They have listings for new and used at reasonable prices.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #48

Macerator

The pump made by flojet works great. I dump down a sewer clean out but toilet fine too. I think there are cheaper ones on the market. No experience with them
Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #49

Just joined the thread. Regarding your new home, In a similar situation, while plumbing in my basement I made an adaptor to replace a cleanout cover. It has a hose fitting with a valve. Then using a grey colored hose so accents couldn’t happen with fresh water use. The macerator easily empties our silver back tanks in a reasonable time.
In your case and what I wished I had done, is a sealable opening in the house wall. Currently open a basement window in goes the hose, Connect, open HOSE VALVE then sewer valve and start the pump. With tanks empty, run LOTS of fresh water. Then close sewer and hose valves. Only a few drops of water can escape. Hose outside pointed into a garden space, open hose valve flush again just incase then drain& coil hose till next time. It is packed into the large garage space. Got it dun.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #50

Dump

If you’re a Good Sam member you can dump for free at any Campingworld/Gander that has a service center. They all have them.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #51

Where are you located? Will you have a crawl space?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #52

If you have one. In our area there are none. What drove my design, we lived in our rv in the driveway of our then, newly purchased house whiel we did heavy renovations, including replumbing. Weekly taking the trailer to dump was out of the question. Macerator pump was connected for 3.5 months!

Other good news for this method, you do not need 3 or 4inch pipe! 3/4” is plenty. For the home renovator as well as me, want a means to dump at the house, this is an inexpensive way to do it.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #53

Appreciate all the replies.

So to recap:

- I won't be adding to the plumbing because it would be very expensive to change the design/permitting at this point. Can't justify the cost.
- I only want to do this once per year to do a long tank soak/enzyme treatment to help clean off the sensors.
- I don't want to use a public dump station. The point is to do it at home for convenience. I know how to find dump stations.
- I think the macerator pump is likely the way I'll go. Maybe pull the trailer through the front yard to the other side of the house and use the cleanout.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #54

Gang thinking of dumping to your drain field directly, remember, there are still solid & semi solids left. Without going through the septic tank converting to mere grey water, you will likely plug some of your drain field.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #55

In a perfect world, sure install septic next to your pad but that’s not always realistic.

I’m on a couple acres and the septic is on the complete opposite side of the property from our RV pad. I bought a 36 gallon transfer tank and dump it into the clean out. Sometimes it takes a couple trips if I really want a good flush, but if you’re only talking about a couple times a year it’s easy. I can even tow it behind my tractor if I’m feeling especially lazy. Easy solution that cost me all of $175.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #56

Four thoughts IMHO:
1. Get one of those 37 gallon RV dump tanks on wheels - fill it from the camper then pull it over to the septic tank and dump - easy and convenient.
2. Keep in mind, shooting a large amount of sewage into your septic all at one time can overwhelm it. The overflow goes directly into the leach field bypassing the bacterial decomposition process.
3. Do not dump directly into you leach field. That's a quick way to clog it for a long time.
4. Macerators are a pain unless you're highly motivated. Needed: 1 sewage drain hose, 1 fresh water hose inserted into the macerator chamber, possibly another hose to backflush the tank, long length of dc wires going to your battery.
BTW - In some states, like mine, farmers pay to have septic tank cleanout companies dump/spray their tanks of human waste on farm fields. Also, despite what someone said about cows, has anyone ever seen a manure spreader? It a perfectly legal way for farmers to spread tons of cow manure on fields (with certain restrictions).
Happy camping!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #57

If you are on a city or district septic system there is always a clean out at the street side of your property, that is your main sewer clean out, when I return from my trips I clean out my tanks into that clean out, it is on my property so I do have the Wright to do so
Old 10-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #58

If I may as a user of macerators,
It has been said you bave to have two hoses. I found that unnecessary because since I run clean water via the trailer, the clean rinse connection is un needed. IE, mace the black tank first, then the grey, then if you have a galley, your rinsing with dish water, lots of cleaning there.
I agree you must go through a septic tank, but you need NOT plant a special tank, a garden hose, to your house existing plumbing does the job. Again, i made an adaptor, that replaces one of the screw on cleanout covers in my basement. I interlock against back flows using simple garden hose hardware store ball valves. One on the adaptor into one of house existing cleanouts. This keeps anything in the three inch pipe from escaping when I connect and disconnect
On the hose I use exclusively between macerator and sewer line, is another same ball hose valve on the end of my hose. Closed for connecting and importantly Disconnecting.
Once connected valves open, macerator on trailer dump valves opened in above order. When all those are finished, from the trailer ( connected to house potable water) I let that run rinsing tanks, and flushing the 3/4” garden hose. I don’t want to tote, look for a hill, although I live on one. For about 50.0”$$ (not counting macerator) i simply chew up and shoot into my house sewer, to the tank and done. No permits to pull, the macerator has been used to push several hundred feet. At my house I do not care how long it takes. (But timed, my 37mdh black tank from full to empty in anout 7 minutes.)
Folks we don’t have to go crazy here. Think of a basement lift macerator, do the same thing in 3/4” hose for your trailer.
Ours doubles for guests whom use part of our drive way. Click on macerator, grab the grey poop hose, connect per above easy no hassle no inspector snooping.

When I plummed my house, I wish like the gentleman starting the thread, to have plummed a Y with 3/4 pvc to a sealable port on my house. So I open a basement window, run the hose in and connect. I ran this setup three months, no runs drips, no stink.
Best to all!!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #59

I have used a maceration for a few years. I do not have a sewer dump near my trailer. I use a hose to go to the front of my house clean out. I ordered cables to work off the battery for power. I recommend the USA maceration on Amazon. I had the flowjet before and went through 3. The USA has lasted the longest and they stand behind their product..FYI, I use a larger diameter hose than the standard garden hose.
I have attached a picture. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201001-192823_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	240379  
Old 10-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #60

When building a new home see if you can get a schedule of the sub contractors and try to meet with the plumber and see if he will do an extra clean out and pay him out right for the extra charge if he is willing to do that, wish I would have thought about it a year ago when we started building, I have the same thing clean out is in the front and 5th wheel is on he side.
Closed Thread