Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Hooked Up To City Water And Then...

Brand new guy here. I hooked up to City Water (Well, actually) using a pressure regulator like I've been told to do in here.

Anyway, the folks I bought the Unite from, an XLR 29HFS Toyhauler, left all the Gray and Black Tank valves open and I figure it would be a good chance to purge the system.

So I ran the water and almost as fast as I put it in, it ran out. I was only running the faucets and the shower but every bit of water I put in seemed to drain back out through the gray (or Black) water tanks.

Or is this normal?? I found the HW Heater valves (under the stove top behind a wood panel) and the bypass is Off with the hot and cold water valves open.

Should I close the Gray and Black Water drain valves and fill it up? Why is water draining out of the Gray and Black Tanks, and the HW Tank, it would seem, when I have the hose hooked to the 'City Water' connection??

I closed the individual slide cutoffs (sorry, can't think of the proper name) and capped the main drain and will try again tomorrow.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?

If so, please help.

Thank you
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

Normal (unless I'm missing something).

You are basically pouring water into a bucket but you have removed the drain plug in the bottom of the bucket.

Plug the bucket back up (meaning, close the drain valves on all tanks), shut off the faucets and the commode, and connect the water again and turn it on.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Team

We have to clarify what you're doing and what you're asking before we can answer your questions. If you run city water through faucets in any sink or shower, water will run into grey tank(s). Running water through a commode will cause water to run into the black tank. If their valves are open, water will run out on the ground. The city water connection is an alternative to using your fresh water tank. If all of this experiment is intended to fill your fresh water tank to be captured and held for later use, you don't use the city water connection, you use the Fresh Water Fill ---- unless you have a single input and a value to switch between filling the fresh water tank and pressurizing the unit's water lines.

Ask again and we'll try again.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The faucets and shower run water into the gray water tanks and if the drain valves are open it just runs right out.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Thanks to all of you.

I get the impression that my HW Tank is draining as well. The valves appear to be turned correctly with the cold and hot water valves (which look like ball valves) turned parallel to the lines with the bypass valve ata right angle to the line....... Off.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what's going on. I was thinking the HW Tank was draining into the Gray Tank and/or the City Water was somehow getting into the Gray Tank before it went through a faucet/shower/toilet.

Thanks for your patience. I really do appreciate it.

R
Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Do you have a tank rinse for the gray tank?
If so, you may be hooked to the rinse inlet instead of the city water inlet.
Sometimes they're pretty close together and not well labeled.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

I think I got it. One of the posters said it was normal given the way I'd done things.

One thing I did learn is that the Suburban W/H has a rocker switch on the outside for the heating element and the Atwood's is on the inside.

Found mine and turned it on. Suburban, bottom left of the outside inspection panel.

Curious.... I turned the gas off and the H/W Tank is heating on the electric mode only. And doing fairly well.

If I turn the propane tanks back on, will the H/W Heater automatically fire up? If not, will there be raw Propane leaking into -- Everything?

Kind of confusing. I'll need the Propane at some point in order to fry some Bacon and am curious as to the protocol re; the HW/Heater.

Anybody?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Do you have a tank rinse for the gray tank?
If so, you may be hooked to the rinse inlet instead of the city water inlet.
Sometimes they're pretty close together and not well labeled.
No, I'm hooked up right. I was just wondering why so much water was coming out of the gray water holding tank(s).

Maybe it wasn't. Maybe there was already some in there. Maybe it was just the H/W Heater and I thought it was more than that.

Closed everything up and it seems to okay right now. I'm not living in it right now so I hope nothing happens since I left the water and the HW Heater on.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Team

If you have the suburban WH running on electric and you turn on the propane, it will not flow all over. If the water is below the set point of the WH it will light and both electric and propane will heat the water. Once it reaches the set point, it will shut down the propane and electric. If you have high demand, this will improve recovery, but normally is not necessary.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Team

No matter if on city water or using fresh water tank and pump, the water coming out the faucets should flow right down the drains, thru the gray tank and out the gray dump valve if it is open. Only toilet waste will come out the black tank when opened. Keep black closed until almost full, with lots of liquid then open black valve to drain thru hose into sewer system.
Gray can be left open and allowed to drain but many of us keep it closed til full then drain gray after black to rinse the drain hose with gray water.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
Brand new guy here. I hooked up to City Water (Well, actually) using a pressure regulator like I've been told to do in here.

Anyway, the folks I bought the Unite from, an XLR 29HFS Toyhauler, left all the Gray and Black Tank valves open and I figure it would be a good chance to purge the system.

So I ran the water and almost as fast as I put it in, it ran out. I was only running the faucets and the shower but every bit of water I put in seemed to drain back out through the gray (or Black) water tanks.

Or is this normal?? I found the HW Heater valves (under the stove top behind a wood panel) and the bypass is Off with the hot and cold water valves open.

Should I close the Gray and Black Water drain valves and fill it up? Why is water draining out of the Gray and Black Tanks, and the HW Tank, it would seem, when I have the hose hooked to the 'City Water' connection??

I closed the individual slide cutoffs (sorry, can't think of the proper name) and capped the main drain and will try again tomorrow.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?

If so, please help.

Thank you
Are you running water in to your city water hookup or your Black Tank Flush. Sounds like the latter.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water