Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #1

hot water

Just back from a ten day stay in the N GA mts. Boy was it cold there.

My problem is the hot water tanh, the temperature of the water is so hot you can't hold your hand under it for 2 seconds. It is so hot that you would not dare let a child take a shower alone.

Consulted dealer and was told that there is no way to control this. It is set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed.

This unit is an '05 Forest River 26RKS, and I am hoping someone can give assistanc on this topic.

TOM & Karen

2002 GMC Sierra 5.3
2005 Flagstaff 26RKS
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

On my old 5'er I could adjust the temp. This one I can't.

I think the reasoning for the EXTRA HOT water is so you can mix it with cold water and have longer showers without running out of hot water as quick in that little 6 gallon tank.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Mine is the same way. As soon as I feel warm water I have to turn on the cold fast.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #4

You do the samething in the camper as you do at home, mix cold with hot. I don't think my old body could take a 100% hot water shower at 130 degrees. I am already wrinkled maybe I need to take a cold shower to help make the outter shell shink. You did bring up a good point, watch your kids around the hot water. If you have a out side shower keep it locked, I hate to see kids and pets get hurt.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Tom, keeping in mind that a little 6 gallon tank will run out of hot pretty quickly
and also keeping in mind that if the water is not as hot you will run out even
sooner---
I've heard on another group that you can probably buy an adjustable thermostat
for your hot water heater. Try calling the tech support line of the manufacturer.
(I'd post a link but you didn't tell us what brand/model hot water heater you have.)

Good luck!!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #6

PROTECT your children! I copied this for your info:

Scald Protection Valves That Prevent Hot Water Burns Are Now Available in Simple-to-Install Shower Heads and Tub Spouts: HotStop

GREENSBORO, N.C., July 24, 2007 -- Did you know you could get third degree burns from hot tap water? A third degree burn destroys all layers of skin and can happen within seconds. These burns can sometimes cause death.

In Buford, GA, Leah McCammon was a victim of a hot water burn accident. Several days before her first birthday, her grandmother left her in an empty bathtub for only a minute while she went to answer the phone. During that time, Leah attempted to pull herself up using the hot water faucet handle. The force of 140°F water knocked her down and caused third degree burns over most of her body. She was air-lifted to Shriners Hospital for Children, which specializes in pediatric intensive burn care. She died several days later.

Each year thousands of children and adults are severely injured by scalding tap water.

Tap water scalds are the second most common cause of severe burn injuries among people of all ages. By replacing your existing shower head and tub spout with a HotStop shower head, hand shower, and tub spout you can prevent these accidents.

HotStop installs in minutes and requires no special tools or plumbing expertise. No other product on the market today provides this protection for you and your family as inexpensively and conveniently as HotStop.

They are inexpensive ($24-$39), easy to install and available at all Lowe's Home Improvement Stores

copied from http://www.dezignare.com/whatshot/07...4.HotStop.html

Not to push any particular product or retailer, but there are other parts that offer scald protection too.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote