Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater

We have a 2011 Wildwood travel trailer & we are confused with the hot water heater . When we put the switch to ON inside the trailer the light will appear red .After a couple of seconds the light will go out . A camper close by to us said that the heater is trying to go to electric but there is something stopping the electrical from working properly . So we use the heater on propane instead of electric . Does anyone know what might be the problem ? We had this problem last year as well -since the trailer was new we thought that it was just us being new to camping & not knowing what to do with it .The manual provides very little info . My husband said that he did not start the heater until it was full of water .
missy9249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure what your camping neighbor means.....the inside switch has nothing to do with the electric element.

When you turn on the inside switch, the light beside it will remain lit while the propane burner tries to light. Once the burner lights, the light goes out. Sounds like things are working properly. Am I missing something ??

The electric element is turned on (cut on ) by a well hidden toggle switch on the bottom left part of the outside portion of your water heater. The water heater breaker also needs to be on in your power center.

These systems are independent of each other, or can be run together for quick hot water recovery.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

I have an electric/Propane heater, and according to ther manual, that light is not supposed to come on at all unless there is a fault...once the fault is reset or resolved, the light will go back out.
I use my heater on both electric and propane, as the manual states too...my red light has never come on..
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

My neighbour said that the light must stay lit at all times if we have it on electric instead of propane .
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy9249 View Post
My neighbour said that the light must stay lit at all times if we have it on electric instead of propane .
Your neighbor is WRONG! The light goes on while it is trying to light the flame, once the flame is going, the light goes off. mtnguy is correct. The light has NOTHING to do with the electric heating element of the water heater.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Thank you .
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Might not want to take a drink from your neighbor if offered.

Or, maybe so.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Site Team

it would be better if you read the WH's owner's manual.

or post the model of WH you have or the model Wildwood you have.

sounds like the inside switch is the DSI feature. this is the auto-lighting feature for the propane side of the WH.
depending on brand and model of WH, you may have the electric switch outside, behind the WH's outside compartment.

sounds like your dealer did a pretty poor PDI/walkthrough. this is basic stuff that any good PDI would explain to new owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it would be better if you read the WH's owner's manual.

or post the model of WH you have or the model Wildwood you have.

sounds like the inside switch is the DSI feature. this is the auto-lighting feature for the propane side of the WH.
depending on brand and model of WH, you may have the electric switch outside, behind the WH's outside compartment.

sounds like your dealer did a pretty poor PDI/walkthrough. this is basic stuff that any good PDI would explain to new owners.

We were told that DSI stands for "Direct Spark Ignition". The name says it all - it is the DC spark from your battery that starts the WH on propane and the red light on the inside switch should go off after the flame is ignited. Our manual says it will try to ignite the propane 3 times automaticly and if it doesn't after the third attempt there is something wrong.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #10

Everyone is giving you good info.

I would like to add one thing. The red light will stay on until the water heater fires up. If you have a problem, which could be as simple as air in the gas line, the red light will stay on. It will make 3 attempts before you need to troubleshoot or recycle the switch.

It's a good idea to light the range first to purge the gas line. After the burners are working for a minute or so, then try lighting the water heater. Be sure the tank is full first.

Oh yeah, when you open the propane tanks, turn the knob slowly. After they're fully open I always turn them back a quarter turn.

As mentioned earlier, you can use both electric and gas at the same time. I have always used the electric side only except when testing the gas side. We've always had plenty of hot water. Just makes more sense to use the campgrounds electricity rather than my propane.

Hope this helps you. If not, keep asking. Someone will have the answer you're looking for.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Now while what you guys are saying is true .
I have noted SEVERAL times that on newer models including MINE the electric switch is in fact inside the camper and although it HAS a switch on the hw heater like normal it has been disconnected.
There is also a light inside next to dsi switch that Does stay ON when electric is used.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

I figured mine out this past weekend. I knew about the gas red light thing but, under that switch was another switch it says "Tank Heater" I assumed that was the electric. I assumed wrong (still not sure what that switch is for maybe to keep it from freezing?). The electric on switch out on the heater was on but no hot water without running the gas. I noticed a rocker switch in the kitchen by the sink I flipped that and had hot water. So I guess mine is like f1100's.
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Now while what you guys are saying is true .
I have noted SEVERAL times that on newer models including MINE the electric switch is in fact inside the camper and although it HAS a switch on the hw heater like normal it has been disconnected.
There is also a light inside next to dsi switch that Does stay ON when electric is used.
Interesting -ours is a 2012 model and the only electric switch for the WH is outside the unit mounted on the bottom left side of the WH assembly. And it does work.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Interesting -ours is a 2012 model and the only electric switch for the WH is outside the unit mounted on the bottom left side of the WH assembly. And it does work.
Mine is a 2006 Rockwood 8280SS so maybe the PO wired it or maybe it is specific models.
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I knew about the gas red light thing but, under that switch was another switch it says "Tank Heater" I assumed that was the electric. I assumed wrong (still not sure what that switch is for maybe to keep it from freezing?). The electric on switch out on the heater was on but no hot water without running the gas. I noticed a rocker switch in the kitchen by the sink I flipped that and had hot water. So I guess mine is like f1100's.
The "tank heater" might be for your waste tanks ?? That is an option on some models.

Make sure the 120 volt breaker is on in your power center if you want your hot water heater on the electric element. Sounds like you have already found the "hidden" switch on the outside of your water heater.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #16

We had an Attwood WH in our last TT. It had inside red lights for both the electric and LP. They did stay lit all the time. Not so with the Suburban. Inside red light for LP is on only until ignition, then off. Gas toggle switch is on heater itself, outside.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The "tank heater" might be for your waste tanks ?? That is an option on some models.

Make sure the 120 volt breaker is on in your power center if you want your hot water heater on the electric element. Sounds like you have already found the "hidden" switch on the outside of your water heater.
mtnguy - maybe I missed something here and if so I will ask a dumb question - What and where is the "hidden switch" you are referring to here?

The only electric switch i know of on my WH is the rocker switch that has a pin going though it to prevent accidential activation of the electric element.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
mtnguy - maybe I missed something here and if so I will ask a dumb question - What and where is the "hidden switch" you are referring to here?

The only electric switch i know of on my WH is the rocker switch that has a pin going though it to prevent accidential activation of the electric element.
You got it already. Many campers can't find that little puppy behind the gas line.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #19

Quote:

Don't want to speak for mtnguy, but I think he is referring to the fact that most people don't initially see that toggle switch with the pin going thru it.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
We had an Attwood WH in our last TT. It had inside red lights for both the electric and LP. They did stay lit all the time. Not so with the Suburban. Inside red light for LP is on only until ignition, then off. Gas toggle switch is on heater itself, outside.
My 2011 LaCrosse has an Atwood water heater. The switches are inside the tt with the red light between them. The red light only comes on until the gas side lights.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad