Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Hot Water heater Question

Hi Folks,

I have a 2014 Georgetown M-328TS
Question about the water heater.
I just came back from a trip and all works fine.
I noticed where the switches & gauges are that the reset light came on for the water heater.
Does anyone know what this means & what I have to do to reset it. There i nothing in the manual.
Thanks.

Ted
Tedcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #2

Just turn it off for about a minute and turn it back on. The reset light means the heater did not light on the last attempt to heat. Are you out of propane? As you just got back from a trip, did you shut off the propane? You should turn off the water heater if not using the RV, both propane and electric, if it has electric heating element.

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
2021 Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax
Glen Rose, Tx
baint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #3

Thanks for getting back to me.
Propane tank is 3/4 full.
I used the hot water heater during the trip with no problem.
I never shut off the propane as no one ever told me to.
Should I when not using the RV?
I got hot water the last time that I used it.
I'll try shutting it off and on again.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

You do not have to shut off the propane when the RV is not being used, but I do just to be a little safer. I also shut off the water if leaving the RV (when camping) for more than an hour or so. You never know when a leak will develop and water in the RV can create big problems. RV quality is not at the same level as your stick and brick home.
You are not leaving the water heater on when in storage are you?

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
2021 Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax
Glen Rose, Tx
baint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you shutting off the LP water heater switch (next to the light that was on) to the off position once your have finished your trip?

If that light was on, that means the LP water heater switch was on also.

The light next to the switch can be labeled a couple things depending on the make of water heater. (assuming this is not an on-demand water heater) They sometimes are labeled RESET, they are sometimes labeled FLT and sometimes there is no labeling at all.

The light indicates THREE things...
1. It comes on when you first turn on the LP switch to indicate the system has been energized and ready to fire.

2. Once the burner has lit and the thermocouple (a sensor in the flame) has proved there is sufficient flame to heat the water, the light will go out.

3. If you should happen to run out of LP (or inadvertently close the valve) the light will illuminate to let you know the LP switch is on but the burner failed to light. The system is now in lock-out via the control board.

To reset the system, turn the LP switch to off, wait a few seconds and then switch back on. This will reset the control board and allow the lighting cycle to try again.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Are you shutting off the LP water heater switch (next to the light that was on) to the off position once your have finished your trip?

If that light was on, that means the LP water heater switch was on also.

The light next to the switch can be labeled a couple things depending on the make of water heater. (assuming this is not an on-demand water heater) They sometimes are labeled RESET, they are sometimes labeled FLT and sometimes there is no labeling at all.
What does FLT stand for?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
What does FLT stand for?
Fault
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #8

Did you leave the switch for the water heater on while driving? Most water heaters are iffy at best on propane in windy conditions. May be why it went to fault.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #9

Thanks, I never leave the water heater switch on while driving. I shut everything while driving. On the side of the bus is the water heater. I was told to leave it on when I want hot water. I have been experimenting that if I leave it off to see if my hot water heats up via electric. It appears that it does not so far. I'm also not sure about the water pump. Should I leave that on when I'm not using water, shower, sink or hot water heater?
Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #10

The light next to the switch is labeled resent.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #11

I always shut the water heater switch when not using hot water as the water stays hot most of the day.
I have never run out of LP
I also never shut the LP as I have no idea where the LP switch/shut off is located.
It's not in the manual.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:07 AM   #12
Site Team

This thread will fully explain the operation of the Suburban brand tank type water heaters:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

The fault/reset light is explained in post #5 there...and even if you possibly have an Atwood/Dometic brand, it operates similar to the Suburban.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater