Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Hot water issue

We bought a 2021 Forest River Wildwood 32Ret about a month ago and have no hot water coming out of the hot water tank. The tank heats up but I think the valves were out on wrong. Every pic I see online looks like the valve handle should be facing towards the outlet line not the bypass line. When the valves are in normal postion(handles toward the tank) I get no water going in or out of the tank. Could someone tell me if they are wrong? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7E0ED2E-B4C3-4E76-BC60-417427692A1B.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	253441   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E37DC41-FD71-42E7-A371-87E7CDAF398C.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	253442  
Dryan9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #2

Top picture is normal with the water heater online. Bottom picture is the water heater bypassed for winterization.

When you say no water comes out of the tank do you mean no physical water comes out of the hot side of the faucet, or do you mean cold water comes out?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

I think your valves are backwards. The bypass line should be on the right rather than on the left. Since your bypass line is on the left, your valves should be turned 180 degrees (meaning upside down). This water heater is bypassed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	253444  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #4

I get about 10 seconds of hot water then nothing at all. From what I see online is the valves are on wrong. The handle should face towards the outlet side when in winterized mode. Mine face towards the bypass line meaning I get no water from the tank
Old 05-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

That’s what I thought. My valves handles face the other direction. Been battling the dealership and can’t get anyone to fix this.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryan9975 View Post
That’s what I thought. My valves handles face the other direction. Been battling the dealership and can’t get anyone to fix this.
There's nothing to fix. Unless your valves aren't working at all, you just need to set them correctly.

Have you tried turning them the opposite direction as to what they are in the bottom picture?

Have you tried taking out the anode/plug from your WH to see if there's water in it?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #7

In bypass mode you should still get cold water out of the hot water faucets. If you get no water at all, then the valves are installed incorrectly. In bypass mode, the antifreeze is supposed to get sucked into the water pump, flow into the cold water piping, through the water heater bypass line, and through the hot water side of the plumbing, bypassing the water heater.

If the water heater bypass valves cut off that flow completely, there is no way to winterize the hot water side plumbing.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It is possible the factory installed the valves in the incorrect orientation. It doesn't matter whether the bypass line is on the right or left, the valves just need to be oriented correctly for whatever side it is on.

But... to know whether they are incorrect, we first have to get you to answer this question... with the valves in the position of photo one, do you have water coming out of a hot faucet or even into the tank? If the answer is NO, then the valves were installed improperly and it is blocking the flow of water through the tank.

If no water, you'll need to turn the top valve upside down and replumb so the lever (when IN BYPASS) points toward the INCOMING water supply line and not the bypass line.

Same thing with the bottom valve, you'll need to turn it upside down as well.

That way when you turn the valve levers towards the tank, it will allow water into the tank and not be blocked by the backside of the valve.

The puzzling thing about all this is... if they are installed incorrectly, you should have never gotten ANY hot water, not even a spurt because there would not be any water in the tank whatsoever.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It is possible the factory installed the valves in the incorrect orientation. It doesn't matter whether the bypass line is on the right or left, the valves just need to be oriented correctly for whatever side it is on.

But... to know whether they are incorrect, we first have to get you to answer this question... with the valves in the position of photo one, do you have water coming out of a hot faucet or even into the tank? If the answer is NO, then the valves were installed improperly and it is blocking the flow of water through the tank.

If no water, you'll need to turn the top valve upside down and replumb so the lever (when IN BYPASS) points toward the INCOMING water supply line and not the bypass line.

Same thing with the bottom valve, you'll need to turn it upside down as well.

That way when you turn the valve levers towards the tank, it will allow water into the tank and not be blocked by the backside of the valve.

The puzzling thing about all this is... if they are installed incorrectly, you should have never gotten ANY hot water, not even a spurt because there would not be any water in the tank whatsoever.
I do get a spurt of hot water if I only crack them open half way. If the hot side valve is in normal position(handle facing the tank) then I get no hot water or any water at all.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
There's nothing to fix. Unless your valves aren't working at all, you just need to set them correctly.

Have you tried turning them the opposite direction as to what they are in the bottom picture?

Have you tried taking out the anode/plug from your WH to see if there's water in it?
Yes. There is plenty of hot water in the tank. Pulled the relief valve and have pressure and hot water. The valves only turn two directions. Into the tank and towards the bypass line.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I do get a spurt of hot water if I only crack them open half way. If the hot side valve is in normal position(handle facing the tank) then I get no hot water or any water at all.
I still think that valve should be turned 90 degrees to the right. Typically the handle indicates the flow of the water.

Like this:

Name:	valves.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	253460

Quote:
The valves only turn two directions. Into the tank and towards the bypass line.
If that's the case, i wonder if it's just a matter of taking them out and turning them upside down? The handles would be facing down but at least they'd turn the correct direction.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #12

Quote:
I still think that valve should be turned 90 degrees to the right. Typically the handle indicates the flow of the water.

Like this:
Attachment 253460

If that's the case, i wonder if it's just a matter of taking them out and turning them upside down? The handles would be facing down but at least they'd turn the correct direction.
That’s what I am thinking too. Trying to get the dealership to understand this is impossible. They keep telling me they are correct but no hot water.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:

Like this:
Attachment 253460

If you will notice, when I posted that picture, I prefaced it with "This water heater is bypassed". Post #3 suggested re-installing them "upside down".

There is 99% chance that Dryan9975's valves are installed incorrectly.

Tags
hot water, water