Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Hot water lasts for one shower

So i notice on my water heater there is an electric on/off switch and there is a pion through the on side, I assume so it does not get pushed to on, but I have read that you can run the water heater on electric and gas to get more hot water? is this true and is it safe to take the pin out and switch it to ON?
I have a 2009 Cherekee 39park, and i believe it is only a 6 gallon heater.
Thanks
ddierolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Dont know about your heater specifically, but I run mine on electric and gas for faster recovery time in the evenings when everyone is showering and it helps a ton.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddierolf View Post
So i notice on my water heater there is an electric on/off switch and there is a pion through the on side, I assume so it does not get pushed to on, but I have read that you can run the water heater on electric and gas to get more hot water? is this true and is it safe to take the pin out and switch it to ON?
I have a 2009 Cherekee 39park, and i believe it is only a 6 gallon heater.
Thanks
Yes you can run on both gas and electric at the same time. The switch you're talking about needs to be on for the electric to run. You may or may not have another switch inside that also needs to be on.

Take a minute to read through this thread. It's full of good info.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, yes... you can run the water heater on electric and LP for quicker recovery.

The pin through the switch is to stop you and make you think if the water heater is full of water BEFORE turning the electric element on. If you turn on the switch without water in the tank, the element could burn out quickly.

Just remember, you only have six gallons of hot water so taking long showers like at home isn't going to work. Many take what are referred to as Navy showers where you soap up, turn off the water (with the button on the shower head) and then rinse off once scrubbed.

Also, the temperature of the water going INTO the water heater plays a huge role in how quickly the water heater recovers. Cold well water (think northern states) entering the water heater takes much longer to heat up than water that is in a municipal system where the pipes may be only a few feet underground and warmed by the sun (think FL)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
BMullins46

The secret to having enough hot water is as was explained above, take a "Navy" shower. Wet down, pause the water with the button on the shower head, soap up, then rinse off. This is especially important when boondocking as you'll soon run out of water if you don't.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
The secret to having enough hot water is as was explained above, take a "Navy" shower. Wet down, pause the water with the button on the shower head, soap up, then rinse off. This is especially important when boondocking as you'll soon run out of water if you don't.
The OP has a park model so it's most certainly in a permanent site with hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #7

Most likely you have a small (6 gallon) water heater. As many have explained above, running on gas and electric will get you a faster recovery time.

What it will not do is allow for longer showers, one person at a time. It will simply let the next person have hot water sooner.

If you want more water you will have to upgrade to a 10/12 gallon or an On Demand water heater.

Tags
hot water, show, shower, water