Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Hot Water Tank how-to

Would anyone have a good how-to on using the hot water tank? I have a 1997 Sierra 30RSS, and the information for the h/w tank is a 2 page flier with little detail on turning this thing on without blowing myself up

Thank you -
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Well, do you know if it is a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) and/or is it a combination electric/gas water heater? If it is a DSI, there will be a switch inside your trailer that should have a red light beside it. If so, be sure there is water in the tank and gas is on. Simply flip the switch and it should light for you.

If it has been a while since gas has been through the lines, then you might want to fire up a cooktop first to get air out of the lines and gas flowing before doing the water heater.

If you also have electric, depending on brand, there should either be a toggle switch on the water heater itself, or another switch inside near the gas switch. Again, be sure water is in the tank before turning it on.

If it is gas only with manual light, then you have to go outside to the water heater. There should be a knob on it for PILOT and ON. Turn it to pilot and light with a long lighter. Once the pilot is lit, then turn the knob to ON. It should fire up.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

It's a manual one, I recall seeing the ON/Pilot knob on the outside of it. The previous owner said he didn't use it, and that it was empty. Is there some process to get the water into it before firing it up? I'll see if I can pull a model # or something off of it which would likely help
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

it should fill up with the city water connected to the TT, open the hot water faucet on your sink and let it flow! you should get alot of air out first when you open the faucet.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

Just connect to your city water inlet and turn it on. Run it through all the faucets to get the air out of the lines. The water heater will fill up automatically as water flows through. It is probably a 6 gallon tank.

It will be a good idea to pull the plug on the water heater and then turn on the water. If water pours out of the heater, then (if there is a water heater bypass, it is open). If you turn on the water and it does not come out of the water heater, then you have a closed bypass and will need to open it first. These are usually located behind the water heater inside. You may not have a bypass, but just in case you do, be sure it is open for the water to get into the heater.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote