Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2024, 08:15 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I thought that black thing was a decal on the water heater. If that center thing where the red and blue pex meet is a Valve, I would assume its the same kind of valve used on both inlet and outlet with a Plastic handle. On this center valve I don't see a handle so I assume its in the FLOW position and handle is hidden by the pipes.
I don't think it's the same kind of valve. The ones on the hot and cold inlet look like they are chrome plated and the one in the middle looks brass.

I think it might be like this one:

OP could clarify with a picture at a slightly different angle.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
Hi Folks,

Just have the trailer (2014 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ) out for the first time this year. I had General RV de-winterize it, as per usual and after setting up camp, I turned on the hot water heater (propane only) and within 20-25 minutes, I had hot water. It worked perfectly as it has since I've owned it.

Tried getting hot water a couple of hours later and no luck. It seems to have turned off even though I usually just leave the switch ON the whole trip.

First time I've ever not had scalding hot water.

I tried looking up this type of problem here but I couldn't find a matching problem description.

I've turned the hot water switch off, let it go for a while and turned it on again. The light has always come on, but now it will not light up.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Did you turn on the switch out at the water heater?? If you get hot water with propane then it’s not the valves being in bypass position!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:16 PM   #23

I am getting hot water, but it doesn’t last long. It starts out really hot then gets Luke warm. Perhaps it’s a valve that I have open that crosses it with cold water?
dkolkman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:43 PM   #24

Hot water worked now doesn’t

Looking at the photo you posted. It looks like the valve at the red hot water side is not fully open. Try to turn that so it’s in line with the hose itself. See if that makes a change.
Denny54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolkman70 View Post
I am getting hot water, but it doesn’t last long. It starts out really hot then gets Luke warm. Perhaps it’s a valve that I have open that crosses it with cold water?
Did any of the previous posts here help? It's often better to start your own thread, instead of adding some confusion to sn existing one.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:59 AM   #26

Turned OP's pic 90 and brightened it up a little (NOW you can see the valve lineup.) Presuming these are all 1/4 turn valves and the handles are oriented correctly, the lineup is correct for operations.

It's possible that the handle on the bypass valve is clocked incorrectly. Quick way to check without dis-assembling it.

Water heater on.

Grab the hot water side of the bypass hose and note temp. Turn on a faucet within reach (HOT ONLY!). See pic below.

Note temp change (if any). If there is a Temp change (hose cools off within a minute), the bypass valve is either leaking, or the handle is clocked incorrectly. (Provided that the shower valves are shut as below.)

The shower valves being open with the "water saver valve" on the head shut off can and will cause a mixing of cold and hot water at the shower valves.

Water OFF. Remove the shower head from the hose. Have someone flip on the pump and see if water flows. Turn off valves as needed, and note (off and an arrow clockwise or counter clockwise) Direction of valve to OFF, on paper or a dymo label next to valve. Do same with inside shower.

I've a '23 Minilite 25ft that threw me for a loop with the "Hot Water Saver" 3 way valve on the shower valves, that loops back to the Fresh tank(New Geen Deal gimmick, BAH!). There is a piece of temp sensitive color changing tubing next to the valve so when the water gets hot it changes and you flip the valve so water comes out the shower head. Very VAGUE instructions. Once I got used to it (and a few labels later) it was fine for what I use it for.
As we never use the shower, it's useless except for one thing. I can fill the fresh water tank from shoreline with it on Recirc, and watch the tank indicator lights and when it shows full, just shut off the valve (recirc, off and head). Especially nice when it's cooler or cold outside and I don't want to chance a cold water shower. No mess unless I get distracted and water should back up out the Fill tap.

Grab RED hose between "T" and bypass valve.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard_05-10-2024_01.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	299589  
Torskdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:48 PM   #27

But that shouldn’t have anything to do with not getting hot water to the sink
twobigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:19 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobigv View Post
Not sure who you are responding to since nobody in this thread mentioned a sink.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobigv View Post

Actually it does. If both shower valves are open, with the shower head valve closed, you introduce a mixing action via the shower valve assy. The outlet doesn't matter, before or after, you just turned the whole water system into a closed loop system, the same as if you had the water heater valves OPEN and the bypass OPEN. The PUMP is at the beginning of the line. It pumps from the tank, cold water to ALL faucets.

The HOT SIDE begins at the water tank with the pump supplying cold water to the inlet. There is a valve at the inlet, AND the Outlet. Also a bypass hose That is "T"'ed between the two for either winterization (close off the cold and hot, open the bypass which will feed cold water to the HOT SIDE.

The Showers with a HEAD that has a water saver valve in the head works the same way as the bypass. Open the main shower valves, close the Shower head "Water Saver" and you now have a water bypass to the HOT SIDE exactly the same as the Bypass line on the Water Heater.

Note: The "Water Saver" valve on my trailer I noted in my previous post routes the water back to the water tank, and when the temp sensitive hose changes color you flip the valve to the shower position. This valve is in line (in series with) between the Shower mixer valves and the shower head. If the water saver or the Shower head valve is closed, and the main shower mixer valves are open you now have mixing loop where you can drop temp of hot water down at a faucet.

Just like in your house, the cold side and the hot side are NOT COMMON EXCEPT at Faucets and showers thru the mixer valves if open and the shower head is CLOSED. You get the same effect but on a smaller scale because the piping runs are longer in a house than an RV.

Simplified drawing of RV Water system. Open the shower vlves and leave the Shower head closed. Turn on Hot water at the Faucet and you'll get an initial inrush of HOT water and then a mix because the water being pumped is taking the path of least resistance. Same thing if the bypass is open.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV WATER SYSTEM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	299694  
Torskdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torskdoc View Post
Actually it does.

they already blew this answer off around post 8
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
they already blew this answer off around post 8

I was responding to twobigv. I think the Shower saver thing at the end confused him.

Tags
hot water, water