Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 09:05 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Like others, I drain mine if we won’t be using it for more than 2 weeks. It might be OK but I worked in the municipal water supply business for 25 years of my career and I take my water quality very seriously and refuse to take any chances.

My home water heater? I’ve only ever been away from home more than one week once and my home doesn’t get to 90-100F ever, so that’s not a reasonable comparison for me.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #22
Defender of America

I do a number of things differently in my house versus my camper.
One item is turning off water to the house at the meter each time we go on vacation for an extended period of time. You only have to have a water leak once to learn why.
I also don't go on the roof of my house every 3 months to check lap sealant.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #23

I’m with those who drain only with winterization. However, I also flush by turning on the city water ((or pump) after pulling the plug and releasing the pressure valve. This gives the tank a “high” pressure flush. I then clean out anything left over with the tank cleaning hose attachment.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #24

Hello all

I have a camper and horse trailer and empty out the tank on each after each use. We also bleach the tank at the beginning of each camping season. Also our WH's span the tye with anode rod and without. The WH with the anode rod we have been doing this for 16 years and only replaced the anode rode approx 3 times. This method has been working for us and we fel very comfortable with this going forward.
ggrimm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #25

I certainly don’t think a water heater needs to be drained after each trip or frequently. Ours is sitting in storage full now waiting on the next trip. However after a 3-4 week or before the next one I will always flush it out with a wand. I’m always impressed how much white mineral residue is in the driveway when it dries off.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb16fq77 View Post
Re your hot water tank.I have installed a drain port / valve on my 2020 16Fq by drilling and tapping a 1/8 pipe port midway on the side of a 1/2 " nipple. I have threaded a small radiator drain valve into the port.By installing a 1/2 pipe nipple into the tank first , then the coupling with the side port and then the annod / drain plug you have the option of taking 45 to 50 lbs of weight off your trailer while you drive down the road.I was very surprised to see how much crud drained from the tank the first time.I have also installed a 1/4 turn water valve to drain the fresh water tank before moving on or returning home.I like to travel as light as possible and the 16Fq does not have much cargo weight capacity. Food for thought.Cheers Rob
Do you happen to have a picture of your set up?
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #27

Hot water tank if it sits for a long period can get a strong sulphuric smell. If not using it for 10 days or more I drain it. Jmo. It is a gas/electric suburban 6 gallon.
71349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #28

Twice a year

I check / replace the anode rod and flush mine twice a year. It has water in it 365 days per year.
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #29

The "need" really depends on the water that is stored in the heater. When we were on well water, the water in the water heater would get a sulfur smell if the trailer sat for about 2 weeks during the summer. So I started draining the water tanks (water heater and fresh water) after every trip.

When we moved to city water, the sulfur smell issue went away, so I only drain water when needed - upon arrival home in fall/winter and doing plumbing work.

However, I encountered another issue on my A-frame's simple water system - system would over-pressurize from heat while trailering on hot days, and prevent pump from working properly upon arrival at campsite. Started relieving water pressure - both hot and cold - by opening outside shower valves with pump shut off before trailering. This normally dumps less than a gallon of water, but resolved any pressure buildup problems.

Between de-pressurizing and water usage while camping, I have a reasonable turnover in water from home, so don't do anything else. While camping, I use the outside shower as our water source for outside cooking/cleaning if there is no nearby spigot. I rotate whether I draw from the hot water or cold water tap, even though the water heater is normally off to avoid long term stagnation. I try to remember to turn on the water heater at least once a year to make sure everything is in good working order.

On my to-do list is adding ball valves and garden hose fittings to the low point and tank drains. Water is too expensive and precious in Colorado to let it go down the driveway and into the storm drains. Once completed, draining water from the camper means watering my lawn.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, heater, water, water heater