Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

How To Find Black Tank Replacement for FR trailers

Our son (who shall remain nameless) accidentally connected the city water hose to the black tank flush inlet on our 2015 Prime Time Lacrosse as we were setting up at the campground and turned the water on. Of course, the black tank dump valve was closed, which allowed to black tank to fill up quickly with fresh water to max capacity and beyond. I noticed the error just seconds before I heard a loud "pop" and the black water tank dropped partially down into the underbelly, destroying the black tank dump handle and who knows what else at this point.

The tank needs to totally be replaced. After we finished our scheduled stay, we took it to a nearby RV repair shop and dropped the trailer off, then drove 3 hours home. The shop has been working for a week to find a replacement tank. Apparently no one at Forest River knows what model black tank was used on our trailer. The RV technician says there is no model number or other identifying information stamped on the tank. He even drew a sketch with all the measurements for the tank and sent photos. FR said they still didn't know which tank went into the trailer. I looked at the Prime Time Lacrosse sales brochure for 2015 and it shows every model Lacrosse had a 40 gal tank, so you would think this wouldn't be rocket science. According to the shop, FR (specifically Prime Time) has been totally unhelpful throughout this ordeal.

Has anyone else gone through this process and if so, how was it resolved?
ChairFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

I've seen numerous offerings of water tanks, Fresh or Black and Gray, online.

Check the numerous sources and use the dimensions you have to select one.

Most Black tanks are supported by the top configuration of the tank, hanging on pieces of angle iron running from frame rail to frame rail. Make sure the tank has these steps on it and dimensions match so tank is properly supported.

Just an observation, even if the dump valve was closed the pressure in the tank should have been relieved by the roof vent. Hard to see how a 1-1/2 " vent stack could restrict air and subsequently water flow caused by a 3/4" hose pushing water into the tank.

Sounds like the vent was plugged and naturally should be addressed when installing the new tank.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about getting an "exact" replacement. A good repair person should be able to install any top mounted tank that fits the space and hangar rails. Holes for vent, toilet dump, and flush, usually have to be installed when mated with a specific setup.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, replacement, tank, trailer