Old 09-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #1

How to remove tank sensors

I'm going to replace the sensors in the black water tank. How do I remove the original sensors. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-25 001 003.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	239927  
Sunseeker6648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Don’t remover them, get new upgraded sensors. Follow directions, drill new holes and install.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Don’t remover them, get new upgraded sensors. Follow directions, drill new holes and install.
No need to drill new holes.

I replaced mine with the Valterra "Horst Miracle Probes" and removing the old ones was a piece of cake.

Remove nuts that hold wire and nut that secures the "sensor" in place.

With all nut off the threaded piece just push them into the tank with a small phillips head screwdriver or ice-pick.

Cut the flange off the rubber grommet and push the remainder into the tank.

Install the new probe.

For simplicity in keeping wires straight and reconnected to the right probe/sensor just do one at a time.

As for the pieces you pushed in to the tank, the'll merely get flushed with the rest of the stuff in the tank.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #4

I ask and sent the pic because I didn't see any nut behind the screw. There are just two tabs on either side of the screw and what looks like a sealer painted over it. I saw one video where they mentioned that they were "spin welded to the tank". At least that's what I think he said. I'll order new sensors and drill new holes. I believe the Valtera sensors have the insert that expands when tightened. I just have to careful not to over tighten.
Thanks for the dvice.
Sunseeker6648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

Be careful if you push them into the tank and want to dump with a maceration pump. Otherwise either method is fine. I have the "Miracle Probes" and they're much better than the stock sensors which on my tanks were just the bolt heads.

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
Canadian Member

Hereís a video showing how to remove the factory probes. Iíve never tried it myself though.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

If old ones are not working, maybe they are just "Dirty".. This is a common problem.. Give the tank a good cleaning..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

If I was going to the effort to gain access (which you have) I would go all the way and install a SeeLevel system. I just did mine this spring and it was one of my best upgrades - gives much better sensitivity (5% intervals) and since the sensors are external to the tank, they never foul. I ran new wiring but most people just use the old sensor wiring making the hardest part just getting access to the tanks.
RVAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAV8R View Post
If I was going to the effort to gain access (which you have) I would go all the way and install a SeeLevel system. I just did mine this spring and it was one of my best upgrades - gives much better sensitivity (5% intervals) and since the sensors are external to the tank, they never foul. I ran new wiring but most people just use the old sensor wiring making the hardest part just getting access to the tanks.
^^^ What he said!!! But I used the old wiring.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAV8R View Post
I would do this as well before I went with the effort of replacing the sensors.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Just curious - does TP or whatever get stuck between the probe and the "shield"? Seems like if it did it would be harder to get blown off with the tank sprayer than a bare probe.
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Just curious - does TP or whatever get stuck between the probe and the "shield"? Seems like if it did it would be harder to get blown off with the tank sprayer than a bare probe.
TP is not the problem people think it is. TP dissolves.

The issue with the "screw head sensors" is the coating of crud on the tank walls that shorts between them. The urine in the black tank is highly conductive and the "brown stuff" joins it to coat the walls. The inventor of the probes demonstrated this in a Youtube video that was linked in another thread in the last year or so.

In the gray tank soaps and body oils do the same.

The shrouds/shields on black tank probes are oriented at installation (using flat spots on threaded part end) so they work like umbrellas.

Once I installed mine tank readings have been accurate even if I've driven down the road with tanks filled to different levels and checking when stopped.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank