Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #1

how to split a single pin connector

I have a fifth wheel that doesn't move often. I have a grey water hose hooked up semi-permanently and want to be able to hook up a portable black water tote periodically without disconnecting the grey water hose.

I can find plenty of wye connectors with two bayonet ends and a single pin end meant to combine two inputs into a single output, but can't find a splitter with two pin ends and a single bayonet. I would prefer having two valves built in, but if not, I can add them.

Any ideas where to find, or how to build such a beast? Or alternatively, why this is a bad idea.
ElDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Always Learning

Get a "Y" and 2 Valterra twist-on valves. You'll be able to open/close them as you need to whichever side of the "Y" you want to feed.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...dp/B000BGHYJS/
Old 09-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #3

disconnect grey water hose, install new gate valve and new TEE. Reconnect gate valve to one side of TEE, other to remain open. When you want to drain black close both grey and new "drain" valve. Connect to open TEE and portable black tank. Open both black and "drain" valve and drain black tank. Close black valve and open grey valve enough to flush out black side of TEE and black hose. Reopen grey valve.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You could build one with this stuff... (or a combination of)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

I've considered the same issue from the point of view of boondocking and wanting to dump grey water without running it through the black tank dump...and contaminating it. If I dump grey water in a bucket, I can water trees with it....assuming the situation allows for it. And in CO, with our severe water shortages, grey water is great for irrigation. (This has been debated to death, so find those threads elsewhere.) Anyway, I won't do it if it's been contaminated by a filthy black tank dump exit.

You might consider putting a "Y" in the grey tank dump line upstream of where the grey and black join together. Previous responses may have touched on this already. Frequently the grey plumbing is 1 1/2", and it's easy to install an inch-and-a-half dump valve in a convenient location at the end of the "Y". This option leaves your grey water connected to the black tank dump so you can flush your stinky slinky with dishwater.

If you discover you have problems trying to add fittings in a rigid 1 1/2" line, Fernco fittings will solve that problem. You can even use a Fernco "Y".
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-Q...iABEgLAqfD_BwE
Fernco fittings come in all shapes and sizes, so rather than a 90 degree "T", you might want a 45 degree "Y". Home Depot carries the stuff.

These are soft rubber drain plumbing connections that enable you to add fittings anywhere in a rigid line. Add a short section of rigid pipe and the dump valve, and you're in business. They are also good for relieving stress from road vibrations in long rigid drain lines. I had one crack at a "T", so I replaced the cracked ABS T with a Fernco, and now there's a bit of give in the line that can absorb road shock and not break.

One more advantage of a clean, separate grey tank dump. I park my PUP, open the grey tank dump, and use a garden hose in a sink drain to flush out the grey tank. There's never any residue in my grey tank, and with a clean exit, I have no qualms about letting the grey water run out onto the ground next to my driveway.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote