Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

How to use black tank flush? - hose incompatible

The rest area black water waste dumps here in Washington have a suspended water hose on a timer for rinsing the area, but they don't have hose threads, and they're often a smaller diameter than your average water hose. My TT black water tank has a flush fitting with hose threads, and I'm assuming that to push water through the flush tube orifices, it's necessary to screw a hose on to contain the water pressure. How do people deal with this at rest area waste dumps? Thx,
Jeff
JeffPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

I have run onto this also. I tried a little device called a hose buddy made by Camco which will work for some purposes but will not hold pressure to flush the system. In fact I got soaked!
Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Sorry, it is called a Water Bandit
Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Team

You need a Water Bandit.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...qid=1569282461

It's also known as a Water Thief.

Not sure that it'll work with a tank flush, due to the pressure required. It's really just for filling the FW tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

A simpler way to use the Dump Station water hose on the flush port is to just get an EXTRA adapter used to blow the water system out with air.

I do it all the time at the WA State Rest Areas (as well as other states that use the same system) most recently at the Westbound Elk Heights Rest Area on I-90 exactly one week ago.

Attach the air adapter to the flush port, push the hose onto the air fitting, and push the buttom. A regular air quick disconnect "nipple" will fit int the hose with enough grip to hold it in place while the water is running. If nobody is in line behind me I'll stand there and push the button a half dozen or more times so I get a good flush.

Just make sure to keep this fitting separate so you don't use it when blowing out the fresh water lines before winterizing. I keep mine in a zip lock bag marked "Black Tank Flush Only".

FWIW, I tried the "Water Bandit" ONCE. Found that it didn't grip the hose worth a darn and I got as much water back on me as I did into the flush port. That's when I started to use the air blow-down adapter (and bought a second one to use on the FW system in the fall.).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A simpler way to use the Dump Station water hose on the flush port is to just get an EXTRA adapter used to blow the water system out with air.

I do it all the time at the WA State Rest Areas (as well as other states that use the same system) most recently at the Westbound Elk Heights Rest Area on I-90 exactly one week ago.

Attach the air adapter to the flush port, push the hose onto the air fitting, and push the buttom. A regular air quick disconnect "nipple" will fit int the hose with enough grip to hold it in place while the water is running. If nobody is in line behind me I'll stand there and push the button a half dozen or more times so I get a good flush.

Just make sure to keep this fitting separate so you don't use it when blowing out the fresh water lines before winterizing. I keep mine in a zip lock bag marked "Black Tank Flush Only".

FWIW, I tried the "Water Bandit" ONCE. Found that it didn't grip the hose worth a darn and I got as much water back on me as I did into the flush port. That's when I started to use the air blow-down adapter (and bought a second one to use on the FW system in the fall.).
Do you have a link or product name for the air adapter? I live in Washington and that would be a great help. Thanks!
shulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulkind View Post
Do you have a link or product name for the air adapter? I live in Washington and that would be a great help. Thanks!
Walmart, Amazon, and others sell them

Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug for RV Winterizing

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-3614...izing/29764314

Old 09-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
D W

This is not only WA, you run into this everywhere.

Here's my solution (cheap, quick and easy):

https://www.amazon.com/Melnor-Metal-...8&s=industrial
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Walmart, Amazon, and others sell them

Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug for RV Winterizing

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-3614...izing/29764314
Yep.

Even a 79¢ hose mender from the Dollar Store will work.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #10

water bandit

I use a hose clamp on the rubber part of the bandit and it has worked on many "non threaded" water spigots without getting me soaked.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #11

On the other side of the U.S.---Georgia State Parks I have visited all dump sites also have afresh water hose with the male end cut off. These hoses are the normal 1/2" or 5 /8" I. D. hoses. When asked at the offices of different parks as to why they cut the ends off it's the same answer: " Ga. SO rules say to cut them off to prevent campers from attaching the hose to black tank clean-out's to prevent any possible back flush into the fresh water hose. All of the fresh water hose bibbs I have inspected have a "Backflow Prevention Device" or BPD made into the hose bibb/faucet. I've seen campers th to hold the water hose on to the black tank flush fitting with little success.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshoe View Post
I use a hose clamp on the rubber part of the bandit and it has worked on many "non threaded" water spigots without getting me soaked.
No question a hose clamp will work great on a metal faucet but clamping to hose is more difficult if not impossible.

I think the biggest reason ends are cut off is to keep people from hooking them to their city water connection and then flushing the toilet in order to flush out the black tank.
Bad if the person before them had dipped the hose in the toilet when they were able to pull it through a window.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank