Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #1

How well are new FR travel trailers insulated?

I was planning on leaving some water in my fresh water holding tank, gray tank and black this winter so our occasional relatives can stay in it while they are here. We live in the Pacific NW in Washington State and it rarely gets down to sub freezing for long periods of time. Usually we'll get a week or two in the 20's.
My question is, if we keep the inside of the trailer around 60 degrees 24/7 will the underneath tanks freeze up? I was planning on using a space heater and not the propane furnace.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #2

Your tanks will freeze. I wouldn't take the chance. Your inside lines will be ok with the heaters on. But the outside tanks no.
Cat199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky310 View Post
I was planning on leaving some water in my fresh water holding tank, gray tank and black this winter so our occasional relatives can stay in it while they are here. We live in the Pacific NW in Washington State and it rarely gets down to sub freezing for long periods of time. Usually we'll get a week or two in the 20's.
My question is, if we keep the inside of the trailer around 60 degrees 24/7 will the underneath tanks freeze up? I was planning on using a space heater and not the propane furnace.
I live on Camano Island and own a 2016 PT TracerAir 255, that I store at home.
Your TT is a 3 season trailer at best. Your Tracer should have an enclosed underbelly that is heated by the furnace. I use a oil filled radiator type heater inside. I also drain the tanks, blow out the water lines and put RV antifreeze in the P-traps.
If someone was to stay in it, in below freezing weather, they won't have running water available because I don't want to do the job all over again. I'd put bottles of water in the fridge and a bucket of water inside for the toilet.
If we ever did get a hard freeze, then I'd set the furnace thermostat to come on to heat the underbelly.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
You could put some RV antifreeze in the black and grey water tank to keep them from freezing. As long as your fresh water has room for expansion due to freezing, that should be ok also.
More worrisome is the plumbing underneath the trailer and in the walls. Those are very tiny lines and it won't take much for them to freeze. If you see freezing temps coming, you could blow out the lines, but you're taking a risk by not winterizing the lines.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Looks like I'll blow it out

I'll blow it out and put antifreeze in the p traps.
The relatives will just have to come inside to use the facilites.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

You might also offer a jug or 2 of antifreeze for night trips to the bathroom.. they could do their business and flush using the antifreeze
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I'll blow it out and put antifreeze in the p traps.
The relatives will just have to come inside to use the facilites.
Just to make clear your electric heaters will not warm the underbelly. You have to use the furnace for that.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
You might also offer a jug or 2 of antifreeze for night trips to the bathroom.. they could do their business and flush using the antifreeze
I was going to suggest the same thing. 15 years ago we had our sob TT at a seasonal site in a campground with a snowmobile trail running through along the property line and was open to those with snowmobiles. Every winter they had their seasonal dinner / get together and bonfire on New Years Eve. The water was turned off but we had electricity and LP. Everyone there brought bottled water for drinking and cooking and used AF to flush the their toilets. The bath house was heated with a decent sized community type sink for doing dishes and the showers were available for bathing.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Does your trailer have tank heaters installed? If so just turn the switch on when temps are expected to be below freezing. Pads are self regulating, turning on around 40 degrees and off around 60 degrees (Tank Temps).

If not, pads are available on Amazon for Fresh, Gray, and Black tanks as well as "elbow heater pads" for elbows on the 1-1/2" gray tank drain and 3" tank drain pipe elbows.

Wiring is just a matter of getting 12 volts from power panel to heaters (wired in parallel) with a switch.

My trailer purchased here in NW Washington came equipped with the heaters and during cold weather have kept all from freezing. The FW tank actually had water that measured 55 degrees when coming from the faucet.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer