RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

HW277 Fresh Water, No hot water?

Hello everyone. I have a newly purchased 2020 HW277. We have camped a few times using the fresh water tank. The hot water worked great. Now we are camping with the luxury of a fresh water hook up. The hot water doesn't seem to want to work. Does the how water heater work with fresh water hook up? Is there something I am missing? I read through the Forest River "manual". It was no help.

Thanks in advance!
BionicTiki
BionicTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

Most hot water tanks won’t fill until you try to run water through your hot water system.

Turn on your hot water faucets until they stop sputtering. Make sure the gas is on. We use the burners to get the air out and make sure the gas is flowing. Then turn on your heater and give it time to heat up.

If you run your water heater off electric, still fill your heater, but I’ll let others advise you on turning your heater on.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Thanks eye95. I didn't realize my hot water heater had a reset button! It just needed a reset. I must have run it dry at some point. Doh!
BionicTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicTiki View Post
Thanks eye95. I didn't realize my hot water heater had a reset button! It just needed a reset. I must have run it dry at some point. Doh!
Not necessarily, sometimes the ECO/High Limit thermostat trips for unknown reasons. Once reset it may not trip without a reason again. You need to read the manual for the water heater. The gas ECO/High Limit actually controls the 12vdc going to the LP gas valve so if the 12vdc fuse for the water heater blows you will have the same symptom but different remedy.

If you have a LP/Electric WH there will be two ECO/High Limit thermostats, one for gas, the other for the 120vac heating element. Though they will be under the rubber cover, one has nothing to do with the other.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #5

You can also flip the pressure relief valve on the top of the water heater until the air is purged out and water sprays out. That will get most of the air out, enough for you to flip on the electric switch while you have door open.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!)
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 206K For Pulling TT in the sand
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, hot water, water