Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 11:33 PM   #1

I can't find the water heater in my 2004 FR fifth wheel

I bought a 2004 Forest River Cardinal 32ft fifth wheel last year. I have not had a need for hot water till now. I found the on/off switch, which is off. For the life of me I can't find the water heater! I went all round inside and out and nothing resembling a water heater. I feel just a little silly

And once I find it, I gather I should check for gas, look at switches etc. I didn't see any videos on YouTube that would help. I'm parked permanently, in an area where mobile RV repair folks don't come. I have handy friends but they're also at a loss.

I do know it's propane only; the propane is hooked up and working, because I can turn on the stove burners. There was hot water at the dealer walk-through. The RV is overall in very good shape and was well-maintained by the previous owners, everything works.

Is there a place I can look all this up, before someone has to write several pages to help me figure this out?

Thank you-all so much!
uscgvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #2

Somewhere on the outside you should see a door about 12x12” with some vents on the right hand side. That’s it. Or run hot water for a bit and walk around listening for a burner going.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:58 AM   #3

Look for something like this on the outside of the RV:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	262049
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgvet View Post
I bought a 2004 Forest River Cardinal 32ft fifth wheel last year. I have not had a need for hot water till now. I found the on/off switch, which is off. For the life of me I can't find the water heater! I went all round inside and out and nothing resembling a water heater. I feel just a little silly

And once I find it, I gather I should check for gas, look at switches etc. I didn't see any videos on YouTube that would help. I'm parked permanently, in an area where mobile RV repair folks don't come. I have handy friends but they're also at a loss.

I do know it's propane only; the propane is hooked up and working, because I can turn on the stove burners. There was hot water at the dealer walk-through. The RV is overall in very good shape and was well-maintained by the previous owners, everything works.

Is there a place I can look all this up, before someone has to write several pages to help me figure this out?

Thank you-all so much!

A 2004 Cardinal probably has a Suburban gas/electric tank type water heater.

Please read this thread (all 6 posts), which explains the operation of, and also where you may find the two different switches to control the gas and separate electric heating element. It also shows the outside access door that others have pointed out.

Take careful note of the post about winterization valves in that thread, as we want to make absolute sure your water heater is not in the bypass position, before you go to trying to turn on the water heater.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

I want to go to Bora-Bora, but Iím too Pora-Pora.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:46 AM   #5

It looks like it is in the curb/door side right behind the door.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

That's the outside of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
It looks like it is in the curb/door side right behind the door.
That would be the outside of it. The OP should visualize where the back end of it is, inside the trailer. He may have to unscrew a panel or remove a drawer to see it. The back end is where the bypass valves are.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

From a picture I found. Not sure if it is your model. The version I found has a mid kitchen with a "L" shape. I think I saw the vent on the outside next to a slide. The hot water tank/heater is in the back corner of the kitchen "L".
I hope this helps in finding in your RV.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, heater, water, water heater, wheel