Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
NXR

If you have this shower hot/cold water valve assembly you might want to read this

OK, I know you had to read it to see the pics to learn if you do or do not.

We had a problem with occasional water running from under the shower into the bathroom. Not much and no one could find a leak, not even the factory. Using an endoscope ("snake") camera on a week-long trip I finally figured it out. Water was running down the back of the shower and creating a little pond against the outer wall.

The first picture shows where I applied black electrical tape that finally stopped the leak. That valve assembly appears to be two pieces, a black plastic piece where the valves and the shower head hose connect and a decorative chrome trim piece on top of it. The water somehow was getting between the two pieces, running into the fiberglass itself, traveling down the fiberglass shower enclosure, and dripping out the bottom edge. The water then pooled against the outer wall.

When I visualized the area with the camera I could see the drip-drip-drip causing ripples in the little pond of water. Right after a shower the drips occurred about once every two seconds. After several minutes the drips slowed to twice a minute and then stopped.

This leak had to be going on for at last a few months and with every shower. The only thing I noticed was an occasional dripping from the motorhome bottom where the overhang starts to angle up. But it only dripped a few times on a four-month trip. Then on the trip home we noticed a dribble of water coming out from under the shower into the bathroom, probably due to a swaying turn on the road. But it wasn't much water.

Everyone focused on the shower drain system and since this leak only occurred when water ran onto the valve assembly, no one caught it. I knew I still had a leak because I was gun-shy and was using a shower base access hole to shove paper towels around. If they came up wet I knew I had a leak.

Here's why you may be concerned: After I posted this finding on another forum, multiple people chimed in and had experienced the same thing. One person had $5,500 dollars in repairs because the floor under the shower rotted after two and a half years. He only noticed a problem because the floor linoleum bubbled up in the bathroom. Another person said they had this same problem on their 2017 model year RV while we have a 2020. So this type of valve assembly spans multiple years of RV's.

If your shower water valves look like they may be two pieces, I'd run some silicone sealant along all exposed edges, especially at the "notch" where the shower head hose attaches.

I also have one of those round "marine" plates for access to the back of the valves. I found some of those screws were stripped so I backed them all out, applied sealant to the threads and the screw heads, and tightened them back up. I also ran sealant around the access plate. That did not help with this leak but perhaps I stopped the next one.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower tape.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	237690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower sealant.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	237691  
Old 08-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

Ah-ha!

I think I've seen the same type of problem with my old shower faucet. Take a look at my THREAD on this, especially the part about "The part that bothers me".
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I think I've seen the same type of problem with my old shower faucet. Take a look at my THREAD on this, especially the part about "The part that bothers me".
I posted this over on iRV2 as well and two people there said the same thing, the faucet assembly is installed upside down and that's why the water is leaking in.

If this is really what happened, this could be end up being a recall or an extension of the warranty for water damage under the shower. Or for the shower enclosure.

I'm going to dig through my manuals and see if this faucet assembly is there but I do not recall seeing it.

Ray

Tags
show, shower, valve, water