Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I took the cap off the vent and when you look down you can see how they cut hole in roof and then put the vent cover over it and there is some opening between the pipe and roof so if water over flowed out the vent water went into the wall I would think and there could be some wet behind the walls I would check that out if it was me.
Hmm, I'll have to check. I think our vent is above the roof line with sealant around where it comes out of the roof so the only thing that could be wrong is that the seal is cracked and allowed water in. I think I need to talk my husband into getting up on the roof and giving it a thorough once over...
stefie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #42
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefie19 View Post
Hmm, I'll have to check. I think our vent is above the roof line with sealant around where it comes out of the roof so the only thing that could be wrong is that the seal is cracked and allowed water in. I think I need to talk my husband into getting up on the roof and giving it a thorough once over...
What you see on your roof is not the actual vent pipe. That is the vent cap or cover if you want to call it that. The vent pipe will be the same type of pipe used connecting the sinks drain to the holding tank. Take a good look under your kitchen sink and you will see a series of pipe going down to the tank and one pipe going upward. The one going upward is the vent pipe. Usually black in color.

In my trailer there is a 'Y' just below the P-trap for the vent pipe. I also have 2 vents on the roof, one for the sinks and shower, the other for the black tank. Both have a small plug of putty which if removed there is a screw to remove and I can take the cap off and look down the vent. There is a bottom part that is sealed on the roof. The black vent pipe is slightly smaller in diameter inside the lower portion of the vent cap with about 1/4 inch gap around it. It is not sealed to the roof or vent.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #43

I usually close the valve a couple of times for three minutes to fill and flush. Each time I turn on the flush hose, I set the timer on my phone for three minutes and then shut it off and pull the drain valve.
By using my phone timer, I have a reminder in the event I get sidetracked.
My neighbour made the mistake of flushing with a closed valve and that is what started us to use the timers for a reminder.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #44
2015 sunseeker 3050

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad
Timer, timer, timer. I'm easily distrac

SQUIRRIL!!!!

Doug, you are so funny!

good one
roflmao
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #45

Another tip is don't leave the black tank flush hose attached to campground spicket so the water won't be turned on accidentally by maintainer cutting grass
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #46
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Another tip is don't leave the black tank flush hose attached to campground spicket so the water won't be turned on accidentally by maintainer cutting grass

I had a Y splitter fail on me. It looked like water was off but it still let a trickle through. Enough so that the tank filled and when my wife flushed, water rushed to about an inch of the top of the toilet. I GOT LUCKY!

For a long time, I'd disconnect the hose and hang it from the splitter. I've gotten lazy lately.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I had a Y splitter fail on me. It looked like water was off but it still let a trickle through. Enough so that the tank filled and when my wife flushed, water rushed to about an inch of the top of the toilet. I GOT LUCKY!

For a long time, I'd disconnect the hose and hang it from the splitter. I've gotten lazy lately.
another best practice - bit for us for another reason...

Since it is on a Y Splitter, I am concerned about backwash...yes, yes, I know there are flow preventers in line but, like Doug said, things fail.

When I rinse our black tanks I take the FWT Hose completely off line - for peace of mind, if nothing else. Would NOT want water from the two tanks to mingle
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #48
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
another best practice - bit for us for another reason...

Since it is on a Y Splitter, I am concerned about backwash...yes, yes, I know there are flow preventers in line but, like Doug said, things fail.

When I rinse our black tanks I take the FWT Hose completely off line - for peace of mind, if nothing else. Would NOT want water from the two tanks to mingle

If it's flowing back, wouldn't the nasties still get on the fixtures? Unless you resanitize the whole thing, it seems like you've only protected you marginally (or mentally).
Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My hose off the Y now is always disconnected. No need DW to put the RV up for sale.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #50

We had a near miss experience with the black water tank as well. We were expecting freezing temperatures overnight so I decided to let the sink in the bathroom drip overnight. Around two hours later we heard the toilet "burping" we went to see what was going on....big surprise !
But nothing happened, we were able to stop it before anything bad.
And that my friends is how we found out that our bathroom sink drains into the black water tank....!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #51

Yes I read the little sticker on the flush fitting that says make sure the gate valve is open on the black tank when using this flush opening.
You will do fine. Luckily you caught it before it got out of control. Makes sense to have everything wide open prior to flushing.

Brandon 2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #52

I have come close before by forgetting the black tank valve is closed. I flush out my black water tank that way. I normally fill the black water tank three times to flush everything out. Not every time I empty but at least every two weeks.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #53

Distractions can be a real problem... not just an issue, but they can quickly become problems. During my first few teardowns, and setups (first trip with the new TT and truck), I allowed myself to be distracted. Fortunately, no real damage was done, but it reinforced the need for concentration. There are things that can make a mess, things that can cause damage to equipment, and things that can cause injury (or worse) to people.

The tech who did our "walk-through" told us that, while the WDH is a great thing to have and use, if one becomes careless and the wrench (Blue Ox) snaps back, it can break a wrist and/or damage stuff.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Timer, timer, timer. I'm easily distrac

I'm not called Aquaman for nothing. [emoji23]
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #55
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiewood View Post
We had a near miss experience with the black water tank as well. We were expecting freezing temperatures overnight so I decided to let the sink in the bathroom drip overnight. Around two hours later we heard the toilet "burping" we went to see what was going on....big surprise !
But nothing happened, we were able to stop it before anything bad.
And that my friends is how we found out that our bathroom sink drains into the black water tank....!
Had the same thing happen to us several years ago except we were gone for the week and I had opened the water valves inside the TT because temperatures were were supposed to be in the teens for 3 -4 days. The kids next to us turned on the wrong spicket at the shared stand pipe. Gray water tank filled up and flooded the TT. What a mess when we got back 2 days later.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #56

Neighbor brought his brand new Reflection 5er home decided to do some driveway camping and connected his water hose to the unit went inside and when he came back out he was greeted by water cascading out the door.

Unfortunately in the heat of having a new toy, he connected up to his flush connection which his old trailer didn't have. Luckily the tank had not been used yet and it was only clear water.
Waukesharvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #57

Quote:
If it's flowing back, wouldn't the nasties still get on the fixtures? Unless you resanitize the whole thing, it seems like you've only protected you marginally (or mentally).
How? the only hose connected to the pedestal is the black tank rinse.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #58

I think you should be fine.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #59
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
How? the only hose connected to the pedestal is the black tank rinse.

So the pedestal itself. You're saying that your concern is water back flowing from the black tank flush, so you make sure 2 hoses aren't connected at the same time.

In this (extremely unlikely scenario ), say water does back flow- now you've contaminated the pedestal itself.

Do you re-sanitize it with water + bleach when switching back to your fresh water hose?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #60

Quote:
So the pedestal itself. You're saying that your concern is water back flowing from the black tank flush, so you make sure 2 hoses aren't connected at the same time.

In this (extremely unlikely scenario ), say water does back flow- now you've contaminated the pedestal itself.

Do you re-sanitize it with water + bleach when switching back to your fresh water hose?

OH! I See Doug!

Yes absolutely. I run the water for @ 10 SEC and wipe everything down with a Clorox wipe.

I rinse and wipe everything down with a Clorox wipe when I initially connect as well.

Tags
black, black tank, tank