Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

In-line water filter

I have the CCI-10-CLW water filter system.
When I started de-winterizing and replaced the filter. When I started the water, I now have water leaking out the top of the cylinder. Can anybody tell me if I lost an o-ring inside the cylinder?.
JackRAbbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #2

Yes there is an o-ring at top of canister.

WaterPur Filters
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

If not it might have "rolled" and gotten pinched in the groove. This will make the canister seem tight, but have a poor seal.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRAbbit View Post
I have the CCI-10-CLW water filter system.
When I started de-winterizing and replaced the filter. When I started the water, I now have water leaking out the top of the cylinder. Can anybody tell me if I lost an o-ring inside the cylinder?.
Did you remove the element to winterize? Did it leak when you pumped in (Pink)? When you removed to place New element this year did it leak? Just trying to do a (CSI) on when you lost the Oring. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Remove the filter canister.
Check that the o-ring is still in position.
With a finger tip apply a -small- amount of petroleum jelly, or even vicks vapo rub or
even a teeny bit of chap stick lip balm to the surface of the o-ring.
Replace canister and tighten normally.

Test for leaks.
Have a cold one to celebrate!
This camping stuff is "such" hard work!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #6

Did my own CSI investigation and did not find the o-ring. It's so fun when my own stupidity costs me money. (Sorry for the self pity). Can not find the correct size o-ring at RV dealerships or automotive shops. So I have to order it on-line.

The DW and I are going out this weekend and so I am putting a non-toxic silocone bead at the top of the canister as a temporary fix. I will see tonight if this will do the trick when I de-winterize the unit.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

The saga continues. The "temporary" silicone fix did not work. Still have the leak and to top it off the silicone seal works so well that I ripped the water filter canister off its mounting. (I now know why it is called an ultra lite. Mounting was screwed into heavy cardboard and not wood).

So now I am taking the in-line filter completely out.

I guess the moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings and make sure you don't misplace 60 cent o-ring.

I can use that cool one now. Make that 2X.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
The saga continues. The "temporary" silicone fix did not work. Still have the leak and to top it off the silicone seal works so well that I ripped the water filter canister off its mounting. (I now know why it is called an ultra lite. Mounting was screwed into heavy cardboard and not wood).

So now I am taking the in-line filter completely out.

I guess the moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings and make sure you don't misplace 60 cent o-ring.

I can use that cool one now. Make that 2X.
I've had nothing but repeated aggravation from inline filters. The connections tend to develop leaks, spill water when removing, and are usually difficult to get to, so... out of sight out of mind; meaning there's a tendercy to forget about them and then they become contaminated. We recently traded Motorhomes, and the new one came with the inline system (as did the old MH), but we don't use it. Instead, I order disposable filters to connect between the hose and the water inlet outside the RV. Granted, there are several feed of water line between the inlet and the faucets and they can become contaminated, but regular disinfecting with Clorox solution helps take care of that.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #9

I live in Florida so wouldn't be winterizing, but it seems like the main problems come from having to mess with it. How often does it need to be changed? Is there any concern about mold or anything growing in it while stored between trips? I just got a new Roo23IKSS and have not yet taken it on it's maiden camping trip. I am still trying to figure out what things I need to get done first. Deciding whether or not to keep this inline filter is one of the tasks.

2006 Ford F150 Lariet Crew 4x4
2013 Ford Expedition Limited 4x2
2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

AlariWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Just an update on the trials and tribulations of my in line filter canister. With our Canadian climate winterizing is a must. We get freezing temperatures. Once we get to mid November our high temperatures are below freezing and it will stay there until early April

The saga continues. I took the in-line filter out in 2013. Then this spring I decided to put it back in. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the hoses tight enough. So I ended up having a leak for an extended period of time. This resulted in a 3'x3' section of the floor in the cabin becoming delaminated. The saving grace is that it isn't in a high traffic area. Part of it is the floor in the cabinet. It's the booze cupboard so everything is fine. The other area is not a high traffic area. I am going to make a little shoe rack to cover the area.

Thing I hate is that all this was due to my own stupidity that caused the damage. I took it to the dealership and if I got them to replace the floor it was going to cost $3300. The dealership service manager was the one who suggested the shoe rack fix.

I have previously mentioned the great service I get from the local RV dealership. This time it did cost me some money. I had them winterize the unit and 3 Maxxair vent covers.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #11

I also had a self-inflicted problem with the same water filter. The day before a trip I lost the gasket while dewinterizing. The RV dealer did not have gaskets so I bought a complete housing. I left the top part in place an used the cannister. I ordered new gaskets from Water-pur. Postage cost more than the gaskets. A few months later I found the gasket in the bush where I tossed the antifreeze while dewinterizing.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #12

Ramblerguy that sounds so familiar. No sooner had I removed the canister, I found the original gasket in the exact spot that I dumped the pink antifreeze when I dewinterized. So I can see that I am not alone in the self inflicted heartburn. Little consolation. .
Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #13
Just a member

Quote:
With our Canadian climate winterizing is a must. We get freezing temperatures. Once we get to mid November our high temperatures are below freezing and it will stay there until early April
Don't we know it. Five months of mind-numbing hell. We have to keep reminding ourselves that there was a valid reason for living on the prairie.

We've got the same filter system but we've had no issues with it for five seasons. Nevertheless, sorry to see you water woe saga evolve into structural damage. Don't beat yourself up - if we weren't living life, we wouldn't be making mistakes.

Did you ever find that o-ring?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #14

The large O-ring is what seals water from escaping the housing.
The 2 flat rubber washers, at each end of the filter element, are what ensures all water is forced thru the filter.
So yeah, it's that large o-ring you need to check.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #15

I found the o-ring next summer. In the meantime I ordered a half dozen o-rings online to make sure it never happened again. I wanted to be proactive. I think I had the leak from the time I originally took the inline filter out until I put it back a couple of years later. The funny thing is that I periodically checked for signs of leaks but I never found any. I guess I didn't look in the correct areas. But at least it is over now.