Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #1

Install question on ShurFlo accumulator tank

I'm getting ready to install the ShurFlo accumulator tank in our TT. The instructions show several options for installing the tank. One is to put a T in the line out of the pump (pressure side) and run it to the tank and then cap off the output of the tank. This would probably be the easiest installation for our trailer because of where the pump & lines are. Just wondering if anyone else has used this install method and if they feel it works as well as putting the tank "in line" on the output line of the pump.

Thanks in advance!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #2

I put one in my unit.i bought small one at hardware store i work at.to install i just put tee in the line made it very simple install.i put mine in to stop water heat pressure valve from leaking solved that problem.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #3

Thanks Gmoney - I got the T today so maybe this weekend I'll get nicely contorted and do the install!
Old 02-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
FLY4FUN

I installed mine inline vs. teeing into. It's prob not an issue, but my simple mind just felt better having the water flow through, rather than just into the tank. Again, it likely makes no difference as the tank pressure pushes water back out & keeps it fresh (relatively) no matter which way it's plumbed. The tee hook-up will be simpler, for sure, and in any event the accumulator function is a nice addition to the system. Mc
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #5

Which ShurFlo did you guys go with, the 181-201?

Also, does anyone foresee any issue with freeze/burst exposure and winterization - eg, will the entire volume of water in the tank (granted, it's small) be displaced by antifreeze when winterizing?
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:09 PM   #6
FLY4FUN

...best I recall it was similar to that model. I do recall that one contributor here used a larger "house type" accumulator & it functioned as well or better...but, I believe his was a larg(er) RV with more space. I'll try to post a pic of my install, 'though it prob shows little useable detail (Plz overlook the mess of wire & plumbing). Understanding that it didn't matter where it was plumbed on the pressure side, the easiest access for me was near the shore water hook-up inlet. Mc
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200703_202944424.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	268618

On edit, RE the other question -- yes, I'm confident that the water is displaced by antifreeze. I've never had a freeze issue.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Which ShurFlo did you guys go with, the 181-201?

Also, does anyone foresee any issue with freeze/burst exposure and winterization - eg, will the entire volume of water in the tank (granted, it's small) be displaced by antifreeze when winterizing?
I got the -200 it has male fittings instead of female for connection. That's the only difference I see.

Looking at how the tank is, it would seem to be difficult to ensure you got antifreeze into the tank itself. No matter how you do the connection, there is no actual flow through the tank area. If you look at the picture I took it shows some slots in the "tube" that runs across the bottom of the accumulator tank. Water will push up into the tank through those slots but I doubt it would really have any flow so I doubt much antifreeze would get in there. Though the instruction manual says to blow out the lines or use potable water anti-freeze...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220208_025633592.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	268620  
Old 02-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #8

How much volume do these tanks hold?
jonboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:26 PM   #9
jkoenig24

Can the accumulator be installed horizontally instead of vertically? Would a vertical install be more effective?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #10

I installed two, 2 gallon, waterworks tanks in the MH. Both tanks are in series and teed into the pressure side of the pump. I would suggest adding a valve just after the tee to isolate the tank or tanks. You can tee the tank or tanks into the freshwater system anywhere you have room. With the freshwater tank and pump located under the bed in our MH it is great to be able the turn the pump off when you go to bed and have plenty of pressure to flush multiple times if you get up at night. With the 2 tanks I can get up early and make coffee or even take a shower without the pump coming on.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #11

It doesn't matter where in the system you put it. Water pressure is water pressure.
I have a 2-gal Shurflo stainless steel tank with an internal bladder. ($150 m/l). SS is probably overkill but I sure like turning off the water pump at night, plus the fact that my water pump runs a lot less and for longer cycles, adding to its life. Mine is plumbed such that water in and water out goes through the same connection, so I wouldn't put anti-freeze in it...too many flushes would be needed to clean it out.

If I did winterize with antifreeze, which I don't, I'd just add an external shut-off valve and trust that there is plenty of air in the tank for freezing expansion to not be a problem.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #12

The tank installation should ideally be positioned vertically with the fitting at the bottom. This allows the tank to empty out when the system is drained.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Can the accumulator be installed horizontally instead of vertically? Would a vertical install be more effective?
According to the installation instructions it can be installed in any orientation. However, it recommends installing with the air fitting at the top if you plan on draining/winterizing it. I assume that is so the water connection fittings are at the bottom and could drain out the tank. It also says not to freeze the tank or install near a heat source.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #14

Like others, I installed the Water Worker 2 gallon tank. I took out the OEM water filter and put the tank in its place. Mounted with plumbing connection on the bottom. I really like not having the pump kick on over night if the DW uses the bathroom - our water pump is directly under the head of our bed. I considered a Shurflow but decided against it due to the minimal volume.

As was noted, these things can be installed anywhere in the plumbing system where you can find room, though I've heard that it is better on the cold water side.
I don't currently have a pic of my installation, but I think I posted one at some time in the past.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
As was noted, these things can be installed anywhere in the plumbing system where you can find room, though I've heard that it is better on the cold water side.
Many RV water heaters have check valves on the cold water inlet side, so installing the pressure tank in the hot water plumbing would only affect the hot water side of the plumbing system.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
How much volume do these tanks hold?
Mine Shurflo is called a 2-gallon tank but the bladder between the water and the air effectively reduces the water volume to approximately one gallon.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Many RV water heaters have check valves on the cold water inlet side, so installing the pressure tank in the hot water plumbing would only affect the hot water side of the plumbing system.
Plus, you'd be filling the accumulator tank with heated water that would eventually cool, meaning that every time you turned on the hot water downstream of the accumulator tank it'd be a long time before true hot water came out. Substantial inconvenience and wasted energy plumbing into the hot water side.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
Plus, you'd be filling the accumulator tank with heated water that would eventually cool, meaning that every time you turned on the hot water downstream of the accumulator tank it'd be a long time before true hot water came out. Substantial inconvenience and wasted energy plumbing into the hot water side.
Good point!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, tank