Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #1

Installing into permanent sewage question

We will be putting a new Forest river Wildwood on our permanent RV site and sometime I would like to hard plumb the sewage system.

If any one has done this, how hard is it to remove the black and gray tank and do this?
Can you walk me through the process

jack L
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I recommend you contact a qualified plumber to do this.

As I understand it, once you do things like removing wheels and axles, removing the A-Frame, and permanent connections to the site, it is no longer an RV but a manufactured home. Permits are normally required and it then becomes "Real Estate".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Why remove your tanks? I have been full timing now for 2 years and I just go out once a week and dump the black tank and every 3 days on the grey tanks until I hooked mine up to PVC and put a trap in it now I leave my greys open until a day or 2 before I dump my black tank. I like to flush out the pipe good. if you want to hook up PVC instead of the slinky you can do it easily.
I just got a clear straight Flush King and ground off the nubs on the one side and got a 3 inch rubber coupling to connect that to the PVC pipe I made my own trap so I don't get any sewer gas and got a screw in connector for the park connection and I also put in a 3 inch rubber connector near the elbow in case I need to remove it. I went extreme with my trap I probably could have used 4 45s instead of 4 90s. Now its time to clean up my mess of hoses and make a nicer support for the sewer pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer 1.jpg
Views:	6052
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	111447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer 2.jpg
Views:	6632
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	111448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer 3.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	111449  
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Physically doing the work isn't too hard.

You'll have to access the inlet connections on the tanks and cut those loose. Once you've done that it's just a matter of finding connectors for the piping and running the piping to the sewer system.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #5

You fill have to install a regular house flush toilet if you remove your Black tank.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
You will have to install a regular house flush toilet if you remove your Black tank.
kc8lvy is right, the larger volume of water is necessary to move solids down the pipe, .... the regular rv toilet doesn't have enough water with each flush to accomplish that, because it doesn't need to, it's only going to drop the contents into the tank below,..... sure sounds like you're putting a lot of work and cost on yourself that is certainly avoidable

kc8lvy's photos show the most common way that I've seen used on a permanent setup trailer,..... plus, its still a trailer, if your plans ever change, you're selling a regular trailer not a modified unit that would only be useful to a much smaller group of buyers,..... that's just my 2cents worth, best of luck on whatever you decide to do...........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

I use this set up when I hard pipe for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #8

We full time

We full time in a 300 + campground and most the people run a 4" pipe I put a T fitting on mine so I can see what is coming out. I haven't seen anyone have a P trap on there's, I have 3 tanks in a Landmark, black, shower (gray), kitchen sink (gray). I leave the black and kitchen closed with shower open all the time with no problem. I also took a garbage can and cut the bottom out and put all my water connections in there with a trouble light for winter so lines don't freeze. Will try and post pics
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Pics I hopeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466309625.218621.jpg
Views:	3087
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	111545Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466309662.198854.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	111546Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466309766.000919.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	111547

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
Why remove your tanks? I have been full timing now for 2 years and I just go out once a week and dump the black tank and every 3 days on the grey tanks until I hooked mine up to PVC and put a trap in it now I leave my greys open until a day or 2 before I dump my black tank. I like to flush out the pipe good. if you want to hook up PVC instead of the slinky you can do it easily.
I just got a clear straight Flush King and ground off the nubs on the one side and got a 3 inch rubber coupling to connect that to the PVC pipe I made my own trap so I don't get any sewer gas and got a screw in connector for the park connection and I also put in a 3 inch rubber connector near the elbow in case I need to remove it. I went extreme with my trap I probably could have used 4 45s instead of 4 90s. Now its time to clean up my mess of hoses and make a nicer support for the sewer pipe.
I am very surprised that waste could make it thru that P trap ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

why pull tanks?

Im with those who just connect the RV plumbing with PVC (or ABS if that is what is used in your area). It is easier, faster, less expensive and has the added benefit of being easy to unhook if/when you decide to move or sell the camper.
All upsides and no downsides that I can see.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Here is our set up. It runs to a septic tank we share with another camper.
We leave our shower gray tank open when we are there. With 3 kids, we have to. Plus our septic tank system can't handle us dumping all 5 tanks at once.
We have a short piece of sewer hose that connects to our pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466341267422.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	111554  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

All looks good, but you must use a ton of chemicals in the tank.
The trap will take care of the sewer gas but what about the tanks gases

Jack L
Old 06-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Here is our set up. It runs to a septic tank we share with another camper.
We leave our shower gray tank open when we are there. With 3 kids, we have to. Plus our septic tank system can't handle us dumping all 5 tanks at once.
We have a short piece of sewer hose that connects to our pvc.
I guess I have to wonder what type of septic tank you have that won't handle dumping 5 tanks ???
Old 06-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I guess I have to wonder what type of septic tank you have that won't handle dumping 5 tanks ???
Most tanks are 1000 gallons. If i dump 200 + gallons it overloads the leach lines that are designed to handle a few dozen gallons an hour. If done consistently, the solids or the top scum will be forces into the leach lines and render them useless. They are only designed to handle liquid.
That's why septic tanks need to be pumped every few years, and why dumping large quantities into them in a short timeframe will ruin one.

I've lived with septic tanks my whole life, as well as having a heavy construction company that serviced and installed failed systems some times.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Most tanks are 1000 gallons. If i dump 200 + gallons it overloads the leach lines that are designed to handle a few dozen gallons an hour. If done consistently, the solids or the top scum will be forces into the leach lines and render them useless. They are only designed to handle liquid.
That's why septic tanks need to be pumped every few years, and why dumping large quantities into them in a short timeframe will ruin one.

I've lived with septic tanks my whole life, as well as having a heavy construction company that serviced and installed failed systems some times.
Yes that all makes sense !!!
Maybe you could dump them over a # of days ???
Old 06-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Yes that all makes sense !!!
Maybe you could dump them over a # of days ???
Thats what we do. We leave the shower, gray tank open though, to help with not having as much water to dump at one time. Just while we are there though. All valves are closed when we are gone.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
All looks good, but you must use a ton of chemicals in the tank.
The trap will take care of the sewer gas but what about the tanks gases

Jack L
You will have vents on all your tanks. Plus all the gray water connections have their own p-traps. The toilet is the only one without a p-trap. That's why its essential to leave water in the toilet bowl.

Also, we drop a tablet down each of the 2 black tanks after dumping the tank, so thats every weekend that we use it on 1 tank, and about once a month for the other. The gray tanks we don't use chemicals in unless we have a slight odor. Then we just add some pinesol and add some more water.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #19

hard hook up

I agree. use your PVC and fern coats( rubber coupling) to hook up. Don't get rid of your tanks.
jpbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #20

Some one needs to tell my septic tank that !
It is now 30 years old, and never has been pumped

jack L