Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Is my back check valve toast?

Last time I camped I hooked the black tank flush up to the water at the dump station without a pressure regulator and had water coming out the bottom of the camper. I'm sure the pressure was more than the back check valve could take.

Is the back check now toast or if I restrict the pressure will it continue to function? I know that a lot of people just remove the valve but I think it is still worth having. Before I buy a new one, how do I know if this one is bad?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Are you sure it is the flush mechanism and not the hose going to it? I'd check that first. It may have simply come loose.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Water pressure less than 100 psi shouldn't really cause a check valve to crack. Chances are slim that a campground would have water pressure above that. I recall reading a thread, a while back, where somebody had a water line disconnect from the check valve. It is certainly possible the valve could be cracked from a manufacturing defect but they should not need a pressure regulator to be connected in line.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Team

In factory installed tank flush systems those check valves are also anti-siphon devices and they are prone to sticking and leaking.

You can try hooking water to it again and see if it still leaks. Other than that, you'll need to remove it to check it.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
Last time I camped I hooked the black tank flush up to the water at the dump station without a pressure regulator and had water coming out the bottom of the camper. I'm sure the pressure was more than the back check valve could take.

Is the back check now toast or if I restrict the pressure will it continue to function? I know that a lot of people just remove the valve but I think it is still worth having. Before I buy a new one, how do I know if this one is bad?
I am one of 'those' that removed the check valve.
I heard too many stories of failed check valves .

HOWEVER, I do faithfully use an external check valve on the exterior hose connection of the black tank flush.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, valve