RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Jim......

Iggy is your “go to guy” like no other.
He also owns a 378 model (at least so far ) and Iggy has more photos than anyone I know.

Just sayin’
I've noticed. Iggy has given me lots of good info. For reference I think Iggy used one of these:

And I have determined the element is bad. I have one on order. It measures somewhere in the megaohm range. The switch was fine.
Jim
Old 11-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #22

Here's what came out of it. The anode while calcified, isn't in bad shape. Lots of sacrificial material left. I changed it out anyway.
It's all back together and filling with water as I write this.

And i cannot recommend this tool. It's next to worthless for this water heater. It's too short to work on the heater element or the anode. There's no room to swing a screwdriver. It's also too big to pass by other parts. I now have brand new 1 1/16" and a 1 1/2" sockets.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy View Post
Here's what came out of it. The anode while calcified, isn't in bad shape. Lots of sacrificial material left. I changed it out anyway.
It's all back together and filling with water as I write this.

And i cannot recommend this tool. It's next to worthless for this water heater. It's too short to work on the heater element or the anode. There's no room to swing a screwdriver. It's also too big to pass by other parts. I now have brand new 1 1/16" and a 1 1/2" sockets.

I use a tool like that for the element need to remove gas burner tube to get at the element correctly a normal socket does not fit the opening for the element . unless they make a real thin walled one like in the picture . I do not think that would work well for the anode as it can take some force to get out
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #24

378ts w/h

I have a 2008 378ts, to get electric hot water I have to have the out side switch on and the switch on the control panel as well.
Zack Bernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #25

If it has 120v it will be wired into a 120 v Knox or it will have a cord plugged into a receptacle also there is a switch inside the hwh door visible from the outside
Tbaughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #26

Your heater element

I see you have removed the heater element. Did you check it for continuity? Also, did you check the wires for current?
eagleof72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleof72 View Post
I see you have removed the heater element. Did you check it for continuity? Also, did you check the wires for current?
See post #21. It was already determined the element was bad.

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #28

I question whether mine works on electric. To use electric is it only the switch inside the heater, provided the CB is on. My last one had two switches in the CP, one gas, one electric, and only one switch on my current one, but I don't know if it is for gas or both. Manual is useless for this information. How long does it take to heat the tank on just electric?
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I question whether mine works on electric. To use electric is it only the switch inside the heater, provided the CB is on. My last one had two switches in the CP, one gas, one electric, and only one switch on my current one, but I don't know if it is for gas or both. Manual is useless for this information. How long does it take to heat the tank on just electric?
Depends on what model water heater you have as to whether there are one or two switches for the electric side.

If you currently only have ONE switch inside, that is for gas.
Your electric switch is outside in the water heater compartment door.

My 6 gallon water heater takes about 1/2 hour to heat fully on electric (from cold/non-use) and about 15-20 minutes on propane.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Depends on what model water heater you have as to whether there are one or two switches for the electric side.

If you currently only have ONE switch inside, that is for gas.
Your electric switch is outside in the water heater compartment door.

My 6 gallon water heater takes about 1/2 hour to heat fully on electric (from cold/non-use) and about 15-20 minutes on propane.
It's identical to the one pictured above.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
It's identical to the one pictured above.
That tells us nothing.

The SW6DE (outside switch only for electric side) and the SW6DEL outside and inside switches for the electric side) look exactly the same.

The difference is the SW6DEL has a 12v relay in the control box for the inside switch for the electrical side.

But again... if you only have one switch inside in your current model, that switch is for the propane side and it should also have a RESET/FLT (fault) light next to near the switch.

Here is what my control panel looks like. I have an inside electric switch (and one outside at the tank) and a Gas (propane) switch with a D.S.I. FLT light. (reset)

I also have heated tanks and that is the switch marked tank heater. Some folks confuse this switch to be the electric side of their water heater but it heats the holding tanks and not the water heater tank.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #32

wmtire reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
See post #21. It was already determined the element was bad.
Yes, I see that now. My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.
eagleof72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That tells us nothing.

The SW6DE (outside switch only for electric side) and the SW6DEL outside and inside switches for the electric side) look exactly the same.

The difference is the SW6DEL has a 12v relay in the control box for the inside switch for the electrical side.

But again... if you only have one switch inside in your current model, that switch is for the propane side and it should also have a RESET/FLT (fault) light next to near the switch.

Here is what my control panel looks like. I have an inside electric switch (and one outside at the tank) and a Gas (propane) switch with a D.S.I. FLT light. (reset)

I also have heated tanks and that is the switch marked tank heater. Some folks confuse this switch to be the electric side of their water heater but it heats the holding tanks and not the water heater tank.

I DONT have an inside switch for electric, hence why I posted in the first place. The post under my first cleared it up for me, and I just was pointing out that the WH in mine is identical to the one pictured. I unplugged it at the WH for winter to prevent any inadvertent start up until it is dewinterized in the spring too. Come spring I will turn it on at the WH switch and see if it is working or not. Since it is a new trailer, it should, never had that switch on without water in the tank. What wasn't clear to me is if that switch enabled the water heater to run on both electric and gas, or if it was just the electric element since I found no instruction manual for it. Now I know.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
What wasn't clear to me is if that switch enabled the water heater to run on both electric and gas, or if it was just the electric element since I found no instruction manual for it. Now I know.
I can understand that and it is the reason we have a very detailed thread in the FAQ section about the switches.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #35
Just as confused as you

Quote:
I DONT have an inside switch for electric, hence why I posted in the first place. The post under my first cleared it up for me, and I just was pointing out that the WH in mine is identical to the one pictured. I unplugged it at the WH for winter to prevent any inadvertent start up until it is dewinterized in the spring too. Come spring I will turn it on at the WH switch and see if it is working or not. Since it is a new trailer, it should, never had that switch on without water in the tank. What wasn't clear to me is if that switch enabled the water heater to run on both electric and gas, or if it was just the electric element since I found no instruction manual for it. Now I know.
Turn off the 120vac breaker in the breaker panel instead of having to reach over the water heater to unplug and plug-in the cord. When your ready to use the WH in the spring fill it with water and turn on the WH's 120vac breaker.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Bernhardt View Post
I have a 2008 378ts, to get electric hot water I have to have the out side switch on and the switch on the control panel as well.
Interesting. On this MH, the inside switch controls the gas feature and the outside switch controls the 120V feature. Are you sure that the outside switch is actually working/doing anything? Does the water heat if you have the outside and inside switches on and the LP tank turned off?

Jim.

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater