RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #21

Thank everyone for the input. I need to know if the water lines are safe to drink from after the dealer de'winterized and sterilized them (hooking up to a city water source?
Skyjacker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #22

I'm new to the whole camper thing. Just got my first TT last year. I personally don't drink from it even after I clean it real good. Last year while on a trip across the USA anytime we stopped to go to the bathroom or stop for food I'd wash my hands and notice that the cold water really wasn't all that cold. It's not something I'd find refreshing anyway then to think that there cold be something growing in there I'll pass. 😆 That's why we have refrigerators and bottled water (cheap) so that's what I'll stick with. As far as taking a shower I don't know about anyone else's hot water heater but mine will burn the hair off a bears back! So if there was anything funky in there I'm sure it's dead now.
Jason1Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #23

I drank well water in Ohio until I was 16. Drank from the creek back in the woods behind our farm when I was a kid. In the Navy, on our old ammo ship, some of the water that came through our evaps over in the Tonkin gulf was probably still full of dioxins, no telling what came through in Hong Kong harbor. Our fresh water tanks seldom got any treatment. Every once in a while I would dump some chlorine powder down a sounding tube if the cooks started complaining. Bug juice powder cut the taste some. Vets know what I'm talking about.

We have never run any chlorine through our camper but depending on the source of water where we are, I may or may not drink it. Wife usually makes coffee right out of the tap but we carry a Berkey filter apparatus just in case. I've filled plenty of water bottles from moving streams in the mountains. Maybe lucky, never had a problem that I can think of.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I drank well water in Ohio until I was 16. Drank from the creek back in the woods behind our farm when I was a kid. In the Navy, on our old ammo ship, some of the water that came through our evaps over in the Tonkin gulf was probably still full of dioxins, no telling what came through in Hong Kong harbor. Our fresh water tanks seldom got any treatment. Every once in a while I would dump some chlorine powder down a sounding tube if the cooks started complaining. Bug juice powder cut the taste some. Vets know what I'm talking about.

We have never run any chlorine through our camper but depending on the source of water where we are, I may or may not drink it. Wife usually makes coffee right out of the tap but we carry a Berkey filter apparatus just in case. I've filled plenty of water bottles from moving streams in the mountains. Maybe lucky, never had a problem that I can think of.

Good gracious. It's been 50 years since I heard the term "bug juice". I can taste it again already.

When I was overseas I observed an Engineer group setting up a field water treatment plant. Water was being pumped from a local river and it looked like the outflow from the local sewer. After several canvas tanks and various treatment processes it came out crystal clear. They had glass jars showing off the change in water appearance at each stage. The final product was fully treated and chlorinated, perfectly safe to drink.

Problem was, one look at what went in at the beginning took away all thirst.

Better to just forget that part and if it was clear and didn't taste too bad, drink it. We certainly weren't going to get bottled water if we complained.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjacker75 View Post
Thank everyone for the input. I need to know if the water lines are safe to drink from after the dealer de'winterized and sterilized them (hooking up to a city water source?
Probably depends more on the quality of the city water, or the quality of the dealer’s work, than anything about the RV plumbing itself.

If you dewinterize it yourself, you’ll be able to control every step of the process. Who knows what the dealer might have done.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #26

Quote:
You should be fine. City water usually has clorine in it too.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It really all depends on which tank you are drinking the water from.

Bruce

Bruce speaks the truth.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #28

We’e been drinking water from RV tanks for over 40 years and have not yet noticed any ill effects from it. We do sanitize once in a while, and the city water where we live has chlorine in it so the tank gets treated ever time we till. We use a filter pitcher to take the chlorine taste out for drinking.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #29

Quote:
If you *need to know*, then you'll need to sanitize your tank and lines yourself. Then you *will know* it was done correctly and water is safe to drink.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #30

You won't have to treat system again most of the time, but if you follow instructions posted you will be more confident. The strong sulfur smell and taste can be the first sign you did not. Think of it as maintenance, you don't have to but in long run tanks, lines and users will be better for it.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
If you *need to know*, then you'll need to sanitize your tank and lines yourself. Then you *will know* it was done correctly and water is safe to drink.
Exactly, 100%!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
I'm new to the whole camper thing. Just got my first TT last year.............................................. ................................. As far as taking a shower I don't know about anyone else's hot water heater but mine will burn the hair off a bears back! So if there was anything funky in there I'm sure it's dead now.
First if you home is less than 20 years old the water lines are the same stuff the lines in the camper aer made of, as is the water tank. IF you sanitize it then it is totally safe if you put in clean fresh water.

As for you water heater, there are bacteria that THRIVE in that heat. IF they infect your WH then the manifestation will be a Rotten Egg smell from your hot water.

The solution to that............., you guessed it................, sanitize the entire water system

PS, sanitize it once a year at the outset of the camping season and you will never have that problem.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #33

I drink from our cooler as the ice melts, we also use that water to make coffee !
Of course I clean cooler with soft scrub after each trip !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #34

The water in your fresh water tank is only as good as the water you fill it with.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #35

We fill with filtered Soft Water !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #36

Fresh water tank

Get the brita filter pitcher, we keep one in the fridge, nice to have cold water anyway, bottled water has been found to have micro fibers of plastic from the lids, not to mention the cases of water taking up weight and space In the RV.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #37
Just as confused as you

It's no different than using a cistern, lake, or river at a remote cabin. You just need to have it tested then take appropriate measures to filter/treat it. All potable water from campgrounds, state and national parks is tested annually, sometimes more.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #38

If you sanitize the tank with bleach it will be fine
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I TOTALLY agree with you.

However, 100% of everyone who Never drink water from an RV will die too...;

So letís just drink beer and enjoy the ride!!!
Cheers.
VR51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #40

Your RV lines and tank are like a petrie dish. Too many Super Bugs today. Bottled water is cheap---why risk it. Just my $0.02.+ $0.05 bottle deposit.

2019 Sunseeker 2400WS
Toad:2019 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TNYHWZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water