Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Is my water safe?

We just purchased a used motor home (2800 mi. And like new inside). The dealer we got it from did a "camp ready" on it and removed the winterizing from the water system, and sanitized the tanks. Question; will the water from the fresh water tank be safe to drink? I asked the salesman that sold it to me and he said he would not drink from it but it would be okay for everything else. Could someone that has been through this please advise. Thanks
Skyjacker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

You may want to sanitize your lines on your own,Run a in line filter for your city hook up, as for drinking it ? Considering we drank from a garden hose as kids and are still alive.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. You're right about the water hoses.
Skyjacker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjacker75 View Post
We just purchased a used motor home (2800 mi. And like new inside). The dealer we got it from did a "camp ready" on it and removed the winterizing from the water system, and sanitized the tanks. Question; will the water from the fresh water tank be safe to drink? I asked the salesman that sold it to me and he said he would not drink from it but it would be okay for everything else. Could someone that has been through this please advise. Thanks

There are a lot of people that are convinced the water in an RV Fresh Water tank is not suitable for drinking.

On the other hand people have been drinking from these tanks since the first RV was built with a tank.

The key is to first sanitize with bleach. Instructions are all over the internet including on this forum.

Second, fill the tank with clean water from a potable water source. Might first draw a sample of the water in a clear drinking glass and look at it. If it's crystal clear and no "mud" in it, fill the tank. An inline filter might be a good idea too.

Once clean water is in a clean and sanitized tank the only issue remaining might be taste. If there is an onboard filter just make sure to use a quality filter that includes carbon block or granules that filter taste components out.

For me, I fill my tank at home and when I need to refill I follow the above steps. I also add some Clorox when I fill. According to Clorox instructions use plain, regular strength Clorox and add 1/2 tsp for roughly 5 gallons.

I left the factory filter in place and it filters any remaining Chlorine taste after it's sat in the tank killing any "microbes".

Bottled water is nice for convenience but it only became a "necessity" for many people when the large bottling companies started their ad campaigns telling us it was safer than city water.

BTW, if tank water was unsafe to drink, heaven forbid anyone should risk brushing their teeth with it or even showering.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
You may want to sanitize your lines on your own,Run a in line filter for your city hook up, as for drinking it ? Considering we drank from a garden hose as kids and are still alive.
Not just garden hoses. Those of us who served in the military have often had to drink water from even stranger sources than a garden hose. I used to add some Kool Aid powder to my canteen to make that water taste better.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There are a lot of people that are convinced the water in an RV Fresh Water tank is not suitable for drinking.

BTW, if tank water was unsafe to drink, heaven forbid anyone should risk brushing their teeth with it or even showering.
100% of everyone who drinks water from an RV will die...
Old 07-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
It really all depends on which tank you are drinking the water from.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #9

I flush the fresh water system with 1/4 cup of clorox in about 10 gallons after each RV storage period of two months or more. The biggest headache is purging the chlorinated water from the water heater. Incoming water mixes down the chlorine but only slowly so until we take several showers, the hot water has too much chlorine in it for our taste. I've taken to pulling out the anode rod to drain the water heater after the flush. This way I get a look at it and don't forget to replace it when it's 75% depleted.

I also try to remember to put some chlorine in the fresh tank at our last stop on the way home for some really good tank sterilization. But, I usually forget to do so.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

I have RV'd for 46 years and always used my fresh water tank for everything. Much of my "camping" was dry camping. Before use, I would use Clorox in the tank according to instructions on the bottle. I would run it thru the system and let it set for a few days or longer. When I'm ready to travel, I drain it and fill the tank with fresh water. Again, run it thru the system and drain the tank. Then I would fill the tank and run the fresh water thru the system once more, Then I go camping. We have never experienced smelly water and have never had any intestinal problems. End of season, I drain and refill with the treated water and start all over.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It really all depends on which tank you are drinking the water from.

Bruce
You'll still die, regardless. Just quicker if you drink from the wrong tank.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
and 100% of those who do not drink from an RV water tanks will die too

We do not drink from or RV tank nor do we sanitize it. Didn't know we were supposed to after all this time we said why start now.

The campground we go to gives you free purified water bring your container. Not that their water is not safe just tastes salty. Just wash with it.

We drink from the garden hose, the spring, the creek, probably going to die. Just glad I do not know when.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
I TOTALLY agree with you.

However, 100% of everyone who Never drink water from an RV will die too...;

Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Very safe water here.

Had our Coachman Apex for 4 years and only ever sanitized it once, the fresh water here in NZ is very safe, however we do have an inline filter just for drinking water, we do brush our teeth and shower using normal tank water, never had tummy bug either of us, did take a sample from bottom drain plug of fresh water tank and very clean with no contamination.
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #15

You may remember from chemistry class, there is hardly a better way to grow bacteria than in a warm, dark container. BTW - I hate to be an alarmist, but there is more than one type of bacteria in the world. My neighbor's cows are just upstream from the creek I have running through my farm. They certainly have a different type of bacteria that I wouldn't want to ingest. That being said, we carry two 2.5 gallon containers for cooking and drinking water. You can refill them for less than a dollar from special dispensers at most Walmarts and Kroger stores and the containers are very easy to clean.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not just garden hoses. Those of us who served in the military have often had to drink water from even stranger sources than a garden hose. I used to add some Kool Aid powder to my canteen to make that water taste better.
Oh yeah, Nothing better than water from an old "lister bag"
Attached Images

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #17

We drink from our fresh water tank.

I sterilize it at the same time I de-winterize, and then throughout the season, when I fill the tank I also add some of this, which I think is mostly just diluted chlorine bleach. But, it seems to work as our FW tank water tastes just as good as it does straight from the tap.

Speaking of drinking from a hose... I use our garden hose, through the camco blue filter, to fill our FW tank. Just let the water run through the hose for a bit until all the stale water is pushed out, then hook up the filter, and go. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #18

We have been filling our RV’s fresh water tank with our home’s untreated, straight out of the ground well water for the last 17 years. Yes, we drink it! Is this something we were supposed to be worried about?
Old 07-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #19

No, I don't think so. I'm certainly not.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
We have been filling our RV’s fresh water tank with our home’s untreated, straight out of the ground well water for the last 17 years. Yes, we drink it! Is this something we were supposed to be worried about?
I wouldn't but some think we all should.

Tags
water