RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Is the missing 1/2" important when installing Dometic 310?

I have a Dometic 310 on order and is arriving this upcoming Monday.

In reading the install manual online it shows that the "back wall" to center of flange should measure 10 inches. I've measured this on mine and only find 9-1/2". I have a good 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" of space behind the existing 300 toilet behind the seat hinge housing.

In reading online in various forums I run across many posts that call out 9-1/2" as the required distance.

To those who have replaced a Dometic 300 with a 310, what did you end up with a final measurement from mounting bolt to back wall? Also, how much space remained between back of toilet at the top and the back wall?

Hopefully I don't have to dust off "Plan B" and the missing 1/2" won't be a problem

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Head Rambler

I would think that if they say you need 10" you probably do, but they usually leave a little 'play' so the toilet vacuum breaker isn't against the wall.

Having said that, if you have 1Ĺ" clearance behind the 300 you will probably be fine with the 310.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Looks like you need 11" from the center of the hole to the back. That is not quite where the bolts are. The instructions show 10" of rough in space like you said. Really you need 10" 17-19" high. If you have the room higher but not lower the taper in the toilet back will get you there. I had plenty of space and installed the 320.

Some members have rotated the toilet to get it to fit in a tight space. Personally I would cut some to make it fit just to not have the plastic 300 again.

Hope that helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_155945.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	234111
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Looks like you need 11" from the center of the hole to the back. That is not quite where the bolts are. The instructions show 10" of rough in space like you said. Really you need 10" 17-19" high. If you have the room higher but not lower the taper in the toilet back will get you there. I had plenty of space and installed the 320.

Some members have rotated the toilet to get it to fit in a tight space. Personally I would cut some to make it fit just to not have the plastic 300 again.

Hope that helps.Attachment 234111
Thank you for your response.

My new 310 arrived today so I unboxed it and set it on the floor next to a wall. With the top, back of the toilet firmly against the wall the distance to the bolt holes is just a small fraction over 9 inches. With the hole at 9-1/2 inches from the wall I can get my fingers between wall and back of toilet.

It appears that the 10 inches is required to allow the seat to go back an extra 1/2 inch when raised. 9-1/2 inches works just fine with no sign that the seat will fall at an inopportune moment

Thanks all for the responses. WOW, what a difference in toilets. Nice to have the elongated seat. Will make me feel right at home

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

My new 310 arrived today so I unboxed it and set it on the floor next to a wall. With the top, back of the toilet firmly against the wall the distance to the bolt holes is just a small fraction over 9 inches. With the hole at 9-1/2 inches from the wall I can get my fingers between wall and back of toilet.

It appears that the 10 inches is required to allow the seat to go back an extra 1/2 inch when raised. 9-1/2 inches works just fine with no sign that the seat will fall at an inopportune moment

Thanks all for the responses. WOW, what a difference in toilets. Nice to have the elongated seat. Will make me feel right at home
You got a Dometic 310 toilet with an elongated seat?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You got a Dometic 310 toilet with an elongated seat?
The 310 is round and the 320 is elongated.

Bruce
Old 07-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce
I know that. Tell it to TitanMike so he will know.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Maybe he is confusing the shape of the bowl wit the 2Ē difference in height.

TitanMike?

Bruce
Old 07-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:

Glad it worked out. Now we all know it's only 9.5. Hope you enjoy yours as we have our 320. I had the space and also got the sprayer.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:

Bruce
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he is confusing the shape of the bowl wit the 2” difference in height.

TitanMike?

Bruce
I have the toilet sitting 10 feet from me so I grabbed my tape measure. Bowl measures 13-1/2" from front to back (opening" and only 11-1/2" from side to side. Opening in seat is just over 11" front to back and 8" side to side.

While looking at it when making my post it is clearly "elongated". Maybe not as much as the elongated bowl toilets in my house but certainly more so than the 300. Definitely more room for "things",

As for the extra 2" in height, I'm not a really tall guy so it'll just keep me on my toes. My Son, who's 6'-4" will no doubt appreciate the extra height.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
I have the toilet sitting 10 feet from me so I grabbed my tape measure. Bowl measures 13-1/2" from front to back (opening" and only 11-1/2" from side to side. Opening in seat is just over 11" front to back and 8" side to side.

While looking at it when making my post it is clearly "elongated". Maybe not as much as the elongated bowl toilets in my house but certainly more so than the 300. Definitely more room for "things",

As for the extra 2" in height, I'm not a really tall guy so it'll just keep me on my toes. My Son, who's 6'-4" will no doubt appreciate the extra height.
Well OK then. Just curious though. Because it's new did it come with a wooden seat as apposed to the plastic seat from a few years ago?
Old 07-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Well OK then. Just curious though. Because it's new did it come with a wooden seat as apposed to the plastic seat from a few years ago?
Seat appears to be wood with a thin layer of plastic material molded on to it. Sounds like wood when I tap on it but short of drilling a hole in it I can't tell for absolute certainty. Nothing like the plastic seat on the 300. Lid is nice and substantial too so when I sit on it I don't feel like it's going to crack and pinch my butt.

BTW, since I now have a wooden toilet seat in my TT does that make me eligible to become a member of the "Birch John Society" ?

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #13

I'm just surprised it is not installed yet? Two bolts and a screw on water connection. You could have swapped it out in the time it took to take the pictures!
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Seat appears to be wood with a thin layer of plastic material molded on to it. Sounds like wood when I tap on it but short of drilling a hole in it I can't tell for absolute certainty. Nothing like the plastic seat on the 300. Lid is nice and substantial too so when I sit on it I don't feel like it's going to crack and pinch my butt.

BTW, since I now have a wooden toilet seat in my TT does that make me eligible to become a member of the "Birch John Society" ?
Sorry about my confusion and it's not important but your new toilet looks like a model 320 not a 310. I was just curious about the seat because it has been advertised that the model 310 is now coming with a slow close enameled wood seat and a friend wanted recommendations.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Sorry about my confusion and it's not important but your new toilet looks like a model 320 not a 310. I was just curious about the seat because it has been advertised that the model 310 is now coming with a slow close enameled wood seat and a friend wanted recommendations.
I'd read several posts around he net that the 310 now came with the slow close wood seat and was elongated. That's what pushed me into buying one. I clearly don't have room for the 320 in my Microlite 25 BDS..

I also only paid for a 310 and that's the number on the box.

Maybe it's a 310 ver 2.0

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
I'd read several posts around he net that the 310 now came with the slow close wood seat and was elongated. That's what pushed me into buying one. I clearly don't have room for the 320 in my Microlite 25 BDS..

I also only paid for a 310 and that's the number on the box.

Maybe it's a 310 ver 2.0
OK thanks.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #17

BTW, the flush system sure makes more sense than the one on the 300.

Rather than a single nozzle in back that sends water out and around a flat ring that collects dirt and whatever, this one has a whole bunch of angled holes that look like they flush the entire bowl of any "splash". Just like a residential toilet only with out the large overhang. Looks like it'll be a piece of cake to keep clean and of course--smell free.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-20-2020, 03:43 AM   #18

There may be a slight difference in the shape of the 300 and 310 seats, but there is a huge difference in the shape and length of both of these seats compared to the 320 seat. The 310 is definitely not an elongated bowl or seat. The 320 is. I have a 310. The bowl is round and the seat has a slightly elongated shape, but it is no longer than a round seat. My neighbor at my campground has a 320 and its seat is very close (if not the same) to the size as a residential elongated seat — significantly longer than my 310’s seat.

Bruce
Old 07-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #19

Quote:
There may be a slight difference in the shape of the 300 and 310 seats, but there is a huge difference in the shape and length of both of these seats compared to the 320 seat. The 310 is definitely not an elongated bowl or seat. The 320 is. I have a 310. The bowl is round and the seat has a slightly elongated shape, but it is no longer than a round seat. My neighbor at my campground has a 320 and its seat is very close (if not the same) to the size as a residential elongated seat — significantly longer than my 310’s seat.

Bruce
I agree but TitanMike's toilet is a 310. The 310 is rimless as shown in his picture. The 320 has a rim. Anyway, with the vortex flush/wooden seat/slow closing lid features of the 310 it's the one I'm recommending to my friend. That's enough toilet talk for me.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #20

Quote:
I agree but TitanMike's toilet is a 310. The 310 is rimless as shown in his picture. The 320 has a rim. Anyway, with the vortex flush/wooden seat/slow closing lid features of the 310 it's the one I'm recommending to my friend. That's enough toilet talk for me.

I won't disagree that the 310 isn't a 320 in seat size/shape. In my case, and I suspect the same for others with smaller RV's, is the location of the drop pipe in relation to the back wall.

I can pull off the upgrade with 9-1/2" of spacing with the 310. No way with a 320.

For the record, the seat on the 310 I received sure feels like it's made of wood but last night when reading the specs they refer to it as Polypropylene. Feels like wood but I guess it's still plastic of a sort. Definitely not like the 300 though which was just a piece of molded 1/4 inch or so plastic sheet.

2004 Nissan Titan

Tags
dometic