Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Kinked freshwater vent hose

Having the dreaded burps while filling, and after reading on this forum a bit, I crawled up under there to see if I have a kinked vent hose. Although I can't see it directly, I put my hand on top of the tank where the vent is, and sure enough, there's a kink between the elbow screwed into the tank and where the hose goes up into the trailer. Like when they installed the tank, they didn't bother to make sure the excess hose got pushed up into the trailer before securing it in place.

Unfortunately, I can't get the kink out without dropping the tank. I tried pulling some excess hose down to twist it out, but there isn't enough. I got to thinking, could I just cut the hose right at the elbow, untwist the kink, and push it back on the barb after removing the old piece?

Wish I could provide a pic, but as I said, I don't have a direct line of sight.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Yes, don't pull the hose to hard though incase the other end is not as tight as it should be.

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

Awesome! If I can cut the hose off the elbow, I don't think I'll have to pull the hose down at all. I'm just hoping the elbow is one of those that unscrews from the tank because the hose is clamped on. I'm not sure I'll be able to remove the hose remnant unless I can get the elbow off.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
Awesome! If I can cut the hose off the elbow, I don't think I'll have to pull the hose down at all. I'm just hoping the elbow is one of those that unscrews from the tank because the hose is clamped on. I'm not sure I'll be able to remove the hose remnant unless I can get the elbow off.
I would not remove the elbow from the tank. (could be a can of worms)
Cut the hose above the barbs and get the clamp off to remove the hose stub off the elbow.
Cut the clamp with a whizzer wheel, hack saw, side cutters ect.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I would not remove the elbow from the tank. (could be a can of worms)
Cut the hose above the barbs and get the clamp off to remove the hose stub off the elbow.
Cut the clamp with a whizzer wheel, hack saw, side cutters ect.
That's where I'm going to have the problem. There's only about 3-4" between the top of the tank and the bottom of the floor to work in, and I can't see what in doing since I'm laying below the tank. I can slide my hand in there though and unscrew the elbow to cut the clamp off. That's what I had in mind, at least. Could be the elbow doesn't actually unscrew, but is molded on the tank. Wish I could see it better so I'd know.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #6

Take a pic with your cell phone. Look with a mirror and flashlight,
I am not sure the elbow is not fusion welded to the tank. I doubt it is just screwed in.
Anyone else have some suggestions?

Thinking....
Pull the fresh water fill valve from the side of the trailer, twist it without disconnecting the hoses. (or at least have access to the clamps)
You will need to reseal the port flange with butyl tape and reinstall the screws.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Take a pic with your cell phone. Look with a mirror and flashlight,
I am not sure the elbow is not fusion welded to the tank. I doubt it is just screwed in.
Anyone else have some suggestions?
Great ideas about the cell phone and mirror. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I'm hoping it's just a plain ole pvc elbow screwed in. I can't imagine with it only being an air vent, why there'd be a need for anything more. For that matter, I'm not sure why they even needed a hose going up to the fill port. An elbow with a screen over the end to keep out the little multi-legged critters would have been enough.

At any rate, if I can manage to snap a pic, I'll post it up here so we can all take a gander.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

Fresh water tank only 2/3 full yet water still comes out the fill cap while driving??????

Thoughts
fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #9

I did a lot of reading on here when learning about my kinky problem, and the emptying while driving seems to be a separate issue related to siphoning out the vent.

It would seem, however, if your vent is connected to a hose like mine is, which runs up to the fill port on the side of the camper, you shouldn't have that problem.

So you might want to check and see if you have a vent hose, and if so, that it is routed upwards and that it's actually connected to the vent opening on the tank.

I read about some instances where the vent hose hung down below the tank, in which case I would secure the end up above the tank with a zip tie.

Seems there's a lot of variability in the configurations of these things.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
Great ideas about the cell phone and mirror. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I'm hoping it's just a plain ole pvc elbow screwed in. I can't imagine with it only being an air vent, why there'd be a

At any rate, if I can manage to snap a pic, I'll post it up here so we can all take a gander.

By all means, please do. Having similar issue with our auxiliary fw tank. Factory authorized service company supposedly pulled the bottom to check it and reported all well, but it's not. Of a 160 system I get system pressure to the point that it raised the floor ( thank God they seem tohave repaired that ) at 120 gal with gravity fill running slow hose flow, I get more burped back than I am putting in. Are RV repair people stupid or just lazy and thinking we are stupid?

NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, water