Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Kinked Water line

I just bought my first travel trailer a couple of weeks ago. It a used 2015 Coachman Clipper 17FQ that was originally purchased in Sept 2014. I got a great price on it from the original owner, and basically it looked like it had just come from the factory.

Now, I understand that the warranty only applies to the original owner, but there is a problem that is an obvious factory defect. The water line from the pump to the rest of the trailer is kinked. Has anyone tried to get warranty help on something like this.

I probably can fix it, but how do you take those clamps off? And do you have to use the same type of clamps again? Looks like all that needs to be done is to rotate the T fitting, cut a bit of the pump hose for a shorter length, and clamp everything back up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

proride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

IMO, not worth the effort to take to a dealer. Better to cut the hose off, get a much longer hose and put a 360° loop in it and clamp with good quality hose clamps.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Well, I didn't even think of the 360 loop, that is definitely a lot simpler fix.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
WFD

That is exactly the problem with that so called white braided tubing they use in almost all units..it really is crap. And often where it kinks, water is allowed to penetrate from the inner jacket to that outer jacket and next thing you know it bursts. I would pull it out and replace it with a piece of Pex tubing. If you dont have the crimping tool for the clamps, you can use Shark Bites from any store plumbing section and they work great. Pricier, but you don't need much for that repair...the convenience will outweigh the cost.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

Thanks WFD. I took the hose off and ended up rotating the t connector so it would line up better. Looked over the hose and it looked fine, no apparent damage to the kinked area. So I cut it to the length I needed and put everything back together, with no kinks. Then I hooked the water hose to my house water and opened up the faucet. Left it like that for about 5 hours and no leaks. But, I will replace the hose altogether as you suggest, just in case.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

X2 on replacing the braided with PEX. The braided tubing doesn't even really belong on PEX fittings and is prone to leaking.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
WFD

An RV repair tech I know told me once he sees more trouble from that braided tubing then any other type of plumbing. Whenever he does plumbing repairs, it comes out and pex goes in.

Tags
water