Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #1

KW1 water filter

We have Rockwood 2020 2608BS with a KW1 water filter. I want to winterize it soon. Do they make a bypass for the water filter canister so I don't have to fill it with antifreeze? Also is there an after market filter out there that will fit in it?
thank you
Noahron3
Noahron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

There are filters on Amazon to fit. To winterize, you can drop the cannister, remove the filter, and replace the cannister. No simple bypass that doesn't permanently remove the KW1.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #3

It seam like a waste to fill that canister with antifreeze!
Last year I put a empty water bottle in it to take up space to save a little antifreeze!
Noahron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
There are filters on Amazon to fit. To winterize, you can drop the cannister, remove the filter, and replace the cannister. No simple bypass that doesn't permanently remove the KW1.
X2

You can get filters here:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/n...-pure-waterpur
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahron3 View Post
It seam like a waste to fill that canister with antifreeze!
Last year I put a empty water bottle in it to take up space to save a little antifreeze!
Great idea! That would save about fifteen cents worth of anti-freeze.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

You can find many threads here about bypassing the filter and using an external filter. I haven't done this mod yet, but before I buy any more filters I will.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #7

some people say to put an empty bottle is the canister to take up some of the volume so you don't have to fill that volume with antifreeze. they do make a bypass plate that you can install that is supposed to keep the antifreeze out of the canister. google kw1 or fr1 bypass plate. last i saw they were about $10.

there is a third party replacement filter canister out there but when i last saw it it was only a dollar or two less expensive than the real canister.

but as mentioned, all this effort to save $.15 worth of antifreeze?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
some people say to put an empty bottle is the canister to take up some of the volume so you don't have to fill that volume with antifreeze. they do make a bypass plate that you can install that is supposed to keep the antifreeze out of the canister. google kw1 or fr1 bypass plate. last i saw they were about $10.

there is a third party replacement filter canister out there but when i last saw it it was only a dollar or two less expensive than the real canister.

but as mentioned, all this effort to save $.15 worth of antifreeze?
I purchased a bypass plate that was supposed to do the trick. Unfortunateky the base for the canister has projections that don't allow it to seal. Maybe on a generic canister but now the OE filter installed by FR.

If one buys antifreeze on sale you only save about a dime.[emoji41]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowridehd View Post
great idea! That would save about fifteen cents worth of anti-freeze.
+1 rofl

Just remove the filter. How much anti-freeze would the empty bowl use? Definitely less than a dollar.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

HELP! How in the @#$% do I loosen the filter canister?

New camper purchased 8/1/2020. Trying to winterize. Can't get the filter canister to budge. The factory musta used loctite or something. Any tips? I'm tempted to just buy a replacement canister and break this one to get it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	240490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter wrench.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	240491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter removal attempt.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	240492  
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #11

Strap wrench with rubber strap.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Pun View Post
New camper purchased 8/1/2020. Trying to winterize. Can't get the filter canister to budge. The factory musta used loctite or something. Any tips? I'm tempted to just buy a replacement canister and break this one to get it out!
Open a water faucet to remove any remaining pressure in water line. That's the #1 cause of "cussing" when trying to remove the canister.

It doesn't take very much pressure at all to "lock" the canister in place. Even just enough to cause a small "spurt" when opening a faucet.

I just leave a faucet open while servicing the filter.

Also, it helps if you turn on pump with city water hose disconnected. Open any faucet and let it run for a few minutes until it spits air. This usually causes a good portion of the water in the canister to be expelled and the chance of any spillage is greatly reduced if not totally eliminated. On my Filter doing this only leaves about 2-3 inches in the bottom of the canister. When doing this just shut off pump when air spits and leave faucet open.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #13

What Mike said ^
You have to get ALL the pressure off the system. It helps to push up on the cannister with one hand while you wrench with the other. It has teeth that ratchet into place to lock it down. They'll usually come loose just before that point where you are positive that something is bound to break.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
What Mike said ^
You have to get ALL the pressure off the system. It helps to push up on the cannister with one hand while you wrench with the other. It has teeth that ratchet into place to lock it down. They'll usually come loose just before that point where you are positive that something is bound to break.
I don't think the pictured model has the ratchet locks. My 2018 didn't. When researching replacement parts there are clearly two different canisters. Some with, some without.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #15

Still no joy with the @#$% RCS canister

UPDATE

The water was already disconnected. And I had blown air thru the system at 40psi - first with everything open, then one faucet after another closed until only the low-point drains had air coming out of them. (Then closed the low-point drains.)

After reading all your posts, I bought a strap wrench with a rubber strap. I opened faucets. I even borrowed my wife's hair dryer to try heating up the housing into which the canister screws. I pushed up on the canister while trying to turn - first the white wrench that comes with it, then the rubber strap wrench. Still not budging.

I know I've got to get this thing off eventually, because sooner or later I'm gonna need to change the KW1 filter cartridge.

BUT - would it be the end of the world if I fill the system with the pink stuff with the filter still in place? If I do that, what happens next spring when I flush the system? Is the filter permanently clogged or destroyed? Or will the pink stuff flush out of it?

Gettin' desperate here.
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #16

Seems like now would be good time to just replace the whole darn thing with a standard filter housing from Home Depot that takes standard, less expensive filter elements.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole...H04F/100471282

Are you sure you are turning the canister in the correct direction? Might also want to try hitting the handle of wrench lightly with a hammer. Vibrations might help loosen things up.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Pun View Post
After reading all your posts, I bought a strap wrench with a rubber strap. I opened faucets. I even borrowed my wife's hair dryer to try heating up the housing into which the canister screws. I pushed up on the canister while trying to turn - first the white wrench that comes with it, then the rubber strap wrench. Still not budging.

I know I've got to get this thing off eventually, because sooner or later I'm gonna need to change the KW1 filter cartridge.

BUT - would it be the end of the world if I fill the system with the pink stuff with the filter still in place? If I do that, what happens next spring when I flush the system? Is the filter permanently clogged or destroyed? Or will the pink stuff flush out of it?
Call the people that make it and ask: https://waterpur.com/pages/contact-us

Ray
Old 10-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #18

That is the new housing that does not have the locking teeth. Remove all pressure. Make sure you are turning counter clockwise when looking from the bottom up. I don’t know if you have to push up when removing the new canister.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:08 AM   #19

Put the wrench that came with it in place on the canister and with a rubber mallet or piece of 2 x 4, give the wrench handle a big smack so canister is turned counter-clockwise whing looking up at bottom.

The factory screws the mount to the flimsy panel and most are afraid they're going to rip the unit off the wall so using some impact will break the canister loose more quickly with less "pull".

When tightening they only need to be tight enough th compress the O-ring, not weld the plastic.

No pushing up required with the non-ratchet type.

FWIW, i reinforced my mount by installing a piece of 1 x 6 behind the filter base and secured more firmly. No more felling like i was going to rip it loose.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #20
WFD

I think if you were to fill it with RV antifreeze with the filter still in place it will be very difficult to get all that out come spring time when you dewinterize. Same reason people use for not putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank. In this case I would think it may be worse as your filter would have have residual antifreeze in it for a very long time.
As another post recommended, your situation is a good example why so many of us have removed those filters and gone with an outside filter. Easier to work with, filters are much cheaper, eliminates risk of a cracked filter housing causing leak in your trailer.

Tags
water, water filter