Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Larger Water Heater

We have just purchased our first camper a 2011 28BH Greywolf. I am wondering if anyone has changed the hot water heater to a larger one? 6 gallons of water does not go very far!!

Thanks for any help
melodybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

We are looking at changing out ours as well and I am planning to install a tankless one. Similar to this one, but i have not decided on a MFG yet (if I find other choices).

Tankless Water Heater with Winter Use Device by Girard *FREE SHIPPING*

I know the RV MFG are offering these now as an option, but has any one converted to one?
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Are the tankless ones just gas or are they also electric?
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

The tankless water heaters are made in both gas (various types) and electric versions. I do not know if there is an electric RV version nor what the electrical requirements are to run and electric one.

But if you are thinking a combo (typical RV appliance - Gas - Electric) I do not think that exists as the elements to heat the passing water are different in the two types.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

There are a lot of threads on tankless water heaters. Some not so very glowing reports. Mainly concerning luke warm water.
As far a changing to a larger water heater? Sure it can be done. The problem is it may not fit in the existing opening. Meaning you may have to cut some structural parts to make it fit.
With proper water management you should be able to get by just fine with 6 gallons of hot water. That is all we had when my kids were growing up. Three women can make it plus all the other people who used out shower and we were fine.
How are you heating the water? Electric element only or gas? The electric element is extremely slow heating. Switch to gas only or a combination and with some careful planning you should not run out of hot water.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

I have also read some not so nice reviews about the tankless heaters, the life expectancy is not very long! I know we do not want to cut on any of the structure as it may also cause harm to any warranty. Guess we (I) will have to do better management with the hot water consumption. I have only heated it with gas thus far, have not switched the switch/pin to run on electricity. The water heater can pull from propane & electricity at the same time?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodybourg View Post
The water heater can pull from propane & electricity at the same time?
Yes, you can use both at the same time. If you're heavy hot water users I would recommend it. Using the electric will also reduce your propane use.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

I guess I should have mentioned that you can do a search online for the different brands and download the cutout dimensions for the one you want. then go do some probing and measuring to see how much bigger of a hole you need to make. Of course the biggest issue is cost. A new 10 gallon water heater can cost around 700 dollars as I remember.
YUP! Water management is the key.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

Thanks SO very much for the responses! All of you have made my first use of this forum very informative & pleasant!!

Happy camping & safe travels to all of you
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Before doing the larger water heater modification, I would suggest to try the factory 6 gal. heater 1st, to see if it will fit your needs. You might need to wait 15 minutes between each shower, but the factory water heater does a marvelous job.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

I am gonna try running it on propane & electric and to NOT be such a "heavy on the hot water" user!! I can not see paying that much money for a larger tank, just not economical and practical. After all it's about getting to enjoy some outdoor fun, not a leisure hot bath.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodybourg View Post
I am gonna try running it on propane & electric and to NOT be such a "heavy on the hot water" user!! I can not see paying that much money for a larger tank, just not economical and practical. After all it's about getting to enjoy some outdoor fun, not a leisure hot bath.
The first thing is to learn to practice taking a "Navy Shower" (google it). Also a different shower head, such as the Oxygenics shower head will help conserve your hot water supply.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

The "Navy Shower" is something worth trying will attempt it; however, I will be ordering a new shower head. The Oxygenics shower head has great reviews. Thanks for the info!