Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #1

Leak at fresh water connection

There is a dripping leak right at the intake and it seems to be behind the knob. Is the intake know suppose to have any play in it where it can move around. Mine does and when I move it the leak can get worse.
So, if the connection is broken behind the know how would I go about fixing it?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_173053.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	262290Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_173048.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	262291
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Team

As old as that panel looks, yes there could be a break behind there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne O View Post
There is a dripping leak right at the intake and it seems to be behind the knob. Is the intake know suppose to have any play in it where it can move around. Mine does and when I move it the leak can get worse.
So, if the connection is broken behind the know how would I go about fixing it?Attachment 262290Attachment 262291
Should just be a 1/2 threaded connector , just pull the panel off and most likely just needs tightened , or your washer is bad or missing
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #4

It appears as though your male end is fully seated and not reaching the washer. Get a hose with longer threads and try that. Also replace the washer but it may have a screen and are available.
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

It's usually pretty difficult to get a really good seal at that point with the weight of the hose hanging down at a 90 deg angle as shown. It's a touchy connection. 1) See if you can support the hose somehow; fortunately, my city water input is near the ladder and I rig a support to minimize stress on the hose. 2) Even though they wear faster or don't last as long, I go and buy a pack of RUBBER washers vs the cheap hard plastic ones that come with many hoses and accessories. They just seem to seal better. YMMV Good luck
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #6

90 Degree Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
. or your washer is bad or missing
^^^^ This is probably your issue based on your description of the behavior.
Also, to reduce the torque put on your RVs water connection it is a good idea to use a 90 degree hose connector like this: Camco (22505) 90 Degree Hose Elbow- Eliminates Stress and Strain On RV Water Intake Hose Fittings, Solid Brass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98347235-5FBC-484D-BE64-95A451115358.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	262322  
Old 09-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

Yup. What Oklamartin said.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
So, if the connection is broken behind the know how would I go about fixing it?Attachment 262290Attachment 262291

You need a new washer in that fitting and get rid of that wire wrapped hose and use this instead.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-5-8-i...n-Hose/3403170

Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
You need a new washer in that fitting and get rid of that wire wrapped hose and use this instead.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-5-8-i...n-Hose/3403170

I checked the washer and it seemed good, but I'm going to try a different one.
That attachment is made to take the pressure off the connection but I may try what you linked.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W indy View Post
It's usually pretty difficult to get a really good seal at that point with the weight of the hose hanging down at a 90 deg angle as shown. It's a touchy connection. 1) See if you can support the hose somehow; fortunately, my city water input is near the ladder and I rig a support to minimize stress on the hose. 2) Even though they wear faster or don't last as long, I go and buy a pack of RUBBER washers vs the cheap hard plastic ones that come with many hoses and accessories. They just seem to seal better. YMMV Good luck
I tried taking off the pressure from the connection and it didn't help. In fact as I'm taking the pressure off and trying to get the hose at a different angle, it got worse.
First thing I'll do next weekend is a different washer.
I'm afraid that the deep freeze in North Texas may have damaged the intake behind the connector.
I ended up just filling the tank and using the water pump, which actually gives better pressure anyways.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
I tried taking off the pressure from the connection and it didn't help. In fact as I'm taking the pressure off and trying to get the hose at a different angle, it got worse.
First thing I'll do next weekend is a different washer.
I'm afraid that the deep freeze in North Texas may have damaged the intake behind the connector.
I ended up just filling the tank and using the water pump, which actually gives better pressure anyways.

Good luck and be sure to let us know your resolve.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #12

I had to replace the inlet on mine after trying everything else. I tried tightning from inside the trailer and realized it had a slight crack in the inlet. It was about $15 for the part and I upgraded to metal threads. I also use the 90 degree w/ a good brass quick connect fitting on my hose to save set-up time.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I had to replace the inlet on mine after trying everything else. I tried tightning from inside the trailer and realized it had a slight crack in the inlet. It was about $15 for the part and I upgraded to metal threads. I also use the 90 degree w/ a good brass quick connect fitting on my hose to save set-up time.
What part did you have to change out and how did you do it?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #14

On mine I had to go to the inside of the trailer to remove the clamp on the hose and remove the three screws on the outside. It looks like on yours you may ge able to unscrew the outside to get hose to tank. Mine was a hose clamp on the inside hose going to the tank. Getting to the inside clamp was the hardest part, took about 15 minutes for whole Chang.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #15

Pics below are the washer that was in the connection. Seemed like it was okay, but I stopped by the store to pick up a new one today on my way to the ranch. Changed it out and.......LEAK GONE.
After inspecting the old washer it had been compressed and you could see the outline of the water hose.

Thanks everyone for the help. Attachment 262680Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_165546.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	262681
Old 09-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Pics below are the washer that was in the connection. Seemed like it was okay, but I stopped by the store to pick up a new one today on my way to the ranch. Changed it out and.......LEAK GONE.
After inspecting the old washer it had been compressed and you could see the outline of the water hose.

Thanks everyone for the help. Attachment 262680Attachment 262681

You can see what the problem was. The screen is supposed to be cone shaped. It was smashed and over the rubber causing a space between the rubber washer and the hose end.

Glad you got it fixed. Now just get you a true 90 elbow and take that stress off the fitting.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:28 AM   #17

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the help. Attachment 262680Attachment 262681
Thanks for taking the time to post your solution!
Oklamartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, leak, water, water connection