Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #21

Don't let the black tank flush ruin your camping. Before they had them we would pour four five gallon buckets of water in the toilet and never had a black tank problems. Our first black tank flush was hooked up backwards and didn't work at all. We were camping at a service center campground and they came out and reversed it under warranty.
Go camping and if you have problems don't be afraid to ask people around you for help. Sometimes there more than you need.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 04-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #22

I agree with those that say just go camping and don't use the flush until you can get some help to straighten it out. Heck, I rarely use ours, preferring to use the Camco sprayer wand that I attach to a hose.

The mislabeled inlets? Yeah, that would hack me off! There are many threads here where people experience what would normally be considered substandard QC and dealership response on new RVs. So many that I consider it TO BE the standard. Being handy is very helpful. Fix the little things that you can and pray you don't have big issues. Most of all, enjoy the experiences you and yours have together, and--->
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #23

I would start at the inlet on the side of the trailer. Take the screws out you may have to cut the sealant. Grab the outside plastic housing pull it out. See if that first connection is tight.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #24
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
Well, after waiting two weeks, the local Camping World, Corporate Camping World and Forest River Corporate have not provided me with repair date on black water flush system pouring water into the living area of my new two month old Salem FSX 177BH.

Any suggestions.? I certainly do not want to get local, State or Federal folks involved and I certainly hope other Forest River owners are not experiencing this sanitation issue.
If you are unable or unwilling to do the repair your best bet is a mobile RV repair service. You just need to be willing to pay out of pocket then wait for reimbursement from Forest River after submitting the appropriate paper work. Many times the mobile tech will submit the papers for you.

Your first mistake is thinking Camping World is interested in customer service. Though you may come across a few which go above and beyond, in general once they have your money your on your own. It's sad to say there are many stories about Camping World's poor customer service.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #25

I agree. Call a mobile tech who services forest river brands. You pay out of pocket and get your money back but you will be camping while you wait. It is probably a simple fix but trying to follow instructions from here when you are inexperienced could lead to bigger problems. Watch the tech while he works. That is a good way to learn. Happy camping.
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #26
Canadian Member

It’s most likely the vacuum break check valve that others have been talking about. They tend to break quickly and sometimes get installed backwards. Ependydad posted a link to a replacement on Amazon. I replaced mine with a better quality brass valve like tempestdriver linked to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	933729C9-DF81-4021-ABEE-BE94EAA8C878.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	251220   Click image for larger version

Name:	95CB7F5A-4F09-4B57-9EB9-0FBC1EDD947E.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	251221  
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
It’s most likely the vacuum break check valve that others have been talking about. They tend to break quickly and sometimes get installed backwards. Ependydad posted a link to a replacement on Amazon. I replaced mine with a better quality brass valve like tempestdriver linked to.
Thank you!
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #28

Dealerships make money selling, not repairing under warrenty, therefore new sales always get priority... that is the dealer decision... FR can only service their products IF taken back to the factory.

If you are not handy and willing to work on the little items that WILL need attending to on your mobile roll-down-the-road new home, then get to know the mobile RV techs that service the area that you are in.

Another avenue is too ask around the campground for ideas... I know I have helped several in-experienced campers with their problems and accepted a beer or two as payment. I even fixed one motorhome camper's headlight/taillight electrical issues that the local FL Camping World quoted $1200 to fix. I believe I was 68 at the time and I am now 72... many of us on this forum are in that age range.

I currently just got a new Dometic porcelain toilet to replace our plastic model. Everyone says it is a 15 minute job, but I am preparing to take a full hour, as I take a 5-10 minute break after 5 minutes of work. PLUS I don't get up and down and bend as easily as I used to...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Dealerships make money selling, not repairing under warrenty, therefore new sales always get priority... that is the dealer decision... FR can only service their products IF taken back to the factory.

If you are not handy and willing to work on the little items that WILL need attending to on your mobile roll-down-the-road new home, then get to know the mobile RV techs that service the area that you are in.

Another avenue is too ask around the campground for ideas... I know I have helped several in-experienced campers with their problems and accepted a beer or two as payment. I even fixed one motorhome camper's headlight/taillight electrical issues that the local FL Camping World quoted $1200 to fix. I believe I was 68 at the time and I am now 72... many of us on this forum are in that age range.

I currently just got a new Dometic porcelain toilet to replace our plastic model. Everyone says it is a 15 minute job, but I am preparing to take a full hour, as I take a 5-10 minute break after 5 minutes of work. PLUS I don't get up and down and bend as easily as I used to...
Thank you. Am learning the ins and outs.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #30

Also remember tons of utube videos. On everything.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #31

Quote:
I certainly do not want to get local, State or Federal folks involved and I certainly hope other Forest River owners are not experiencing this sanitation issue.
That sounds like an interesting approach. I'm sure that the governmental authorities at whatever level will be deeply concerned with what is actually a dispute between you and the seller and manufacturer over how fast they should make repairs of a problem that is affecting nobody other than you. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you, will you?
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
That sounds like an interesting approach. I'm sure that the governmental authorities at whatever level will be deeply concerned with what is actually a dispute between you and the seller and manufacturer over how fast they should make repairs of a problem that is affecting nobody other than you. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you, will you?
Perhaps I am not the only with black water cleaning system putting bacteria into my living area.

I just discovered the issue.....others perhaps not.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Perhaps I am not the only with black water cleaning system putting bacteria into my living area.

Then you have bacteria in your campground water. This leak is not coming out of your black tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Several folks have tried to set you straight but you still keep saying you are putting bacteria in your R/Vs living area from this leak in your black tank flush.

You are NOT pulling any water/liquid out of your black tank with this leak. It is simply the same supply water from the hose that is connected to the outside black tank flush connection.

There is no more chance of bacteria flooding your R/V from this leak than there would be if you just shoved the supply hose in the door and turned it on.

Please read up on how a black tank flush works (especially bubbles post # 20) and quit telling folks you are pumping bacteria into your R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #35

Quote:

First, as has been repeatedly noted here, you have a frensh water leak and nothing you have described is putting bacteria into your living area.

Second, the likelihood that anyone else with this problem would not discover the leak you described, fresh water or otherwise, is about zero.

That aside, by all means try to turn your warranty dispute with your dealer and FR into a federal investigation. I'm truly curious as to how it works out for you.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
First, as has been repeatedly noted here, you have a frensh water leak and nothing you have described is putting bacteria into your living area.

Second, the likelihood that anyone else with this problem would not discover the leak you described, fresh water or otherwise, is about zero.

That aside, by all means try to turn your warranty dispute with your dealer and FR into a federal investigation. I'm truly curious as to how it works out for you.
You are twisting my words.

Having said that.......have a great day.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Then you have bacteria in your campground water. This leak is not coming out of your black tank.
Everyone has been advising me to treat anything involving black water as evil.

So, I use a separate hose to attend to anything concerning black water... Including flush system.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #38

Quote:

So, I use a separate hose to attend to anything concerning black water... Including flush system.

Thanks.
I also keep a separate hose for my black tank flush but it really not required, the part your hooking up to is like someone said just like the hook up for regular water, when turned on the water (should) spray inside your blank tank causing the rinse feature, I have a feeling somehow it is either not connected correctly or even possible cracked, for it reaching inside your unit I think not connected is the issue. Good luck hope you get it taken care of soon so you can enjoy your camper
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Thanks.
No one here has been doing that.

There is nothing evil about the black tank flush.
It is simply a means to put clean water into your black tank (other than through the toilet) to help dump/flush out the contents.

If you have a phobia about bacteria, then touching the sewer hose and the connections are way more likely to get you riled up.

Attaching a hose to the black tank flush and then flushing is only associated with clean water.

But... if you use the same hose to attach to the black tank flush as you use to rinse the sewer port connections and sewer hose... and then cross-contaminate the black tank flush... then that onus is on you, not some evil system.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No one here has been doing that.

There is nothing evil about the black tank flush.
It is simply a means to put clean water into your black tank (other than through the toilet) to help dump/flush out the contents.

If you have a phobia about bacteria, then touching the sewer hose and the connections are way more likely to get you riled up.

Attaching a hose to the black tank flush and then flushing is only associated with clean water.

But... if you use the same hose to attach to the black tank flush as you use to rinse the sewer port connections and sewer hose... and then cross-contaminate the black tank flush... then that onus is on you, not some evil system.
Thanks. Got the camper back home and will share a photo link (do not yet know how to post a photo directly to comment) that shows the issue on my new Salem FSX.

The leak is occurring on the inlet hose from the outside water connection, just before what looks like a valve (it is black). Hose exiting the valve goes to the black water tank.

I am thinking that maybe the valve is defective or installed backwards and the leak is the result of water pressure being forced passed the clamp/fitting on the inlet hose before the valve.

If valve is defective I am open to suggestions for a brass replacement.

If valve was installed backwards, I can turn it around and that should solve problem.

Will post my photo shortly............Thanks.