Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #1

Leak using black tank flush

Well, after waiting two weeks, the local Camping World, Corporate Camping World and Forest River Corporate have not provided me with repair date on black water flush system pouring water into the living area of my new two month old Salem FSX 177BH.

Any suggestions.? I certainly do not want to get local, State or Federal folks involved and I certainly hope other Forest River owners are not experiencing this sanitation issue.
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

The only leak is coming from flush system? If so at least you can still camp until fixed. If water is running into living space then I would imagine the leak is above the floor. If it were me I would see if I could find the leak. Likely an easy fix. I understand it is new and you should not need to fix anything, but some things just require a simple fix and not much time.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
The only leak is coming from flush system? If so at least you can still camp until fixed. If water is running into living space then I would imagine the leak is above the floor. If it were me I would see if I could find the leak. Likely an easy fix. I understand it is new and you should not need to fix anything, but some things just require a simple fix and not much time.
Leak is under sink and should have been detected before delivery. Saying sanitation issues are acceptable under any conditions is not acceptable to owners and only provides an "out" for manufacturers.

My unit also had black water flush and city water hook up exterior stickers/decals reversed and the reason sanitation issue was discovered immediately after arriving at camp ground.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

If you contact an attorney the manufacturers will no longer talk to you.

Sick a government person on them and I would expect the same results.

Service/warranty work is hard to get done at best. Usually means three trips to the dealership for you.

Violates our $200 rule. If under that I fix it.

Your issue is a length of pex from the input connection to the waste tank. Not connected or tight. And a back flow preventer typically in the bathroom. In the trailers of the past they had no clean out ports. So, for now you can use the rv carefully.

An hour with a flashlight might fix this!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

To be clear - this is coming from your black tank flush - you only see this water while using said black tank flush, correct?

If that's so, check the fittings on the backflow valve for the flush, it's often found under the sink. Same thing happened the first time I used our flush on our previous camper. It took less than one minute to tighten the hoses up.

Also, if this is truly coming from the back flow valve under the sink, it will most likely be fresh water from the hose you've connected to do the flushing.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Try this contact info, if anything he will get you in touch with the proper person to hopefully speed this up for you, keep us posted how things go.

https://forestriverfrog.com/ContactUs.aspx
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Team

If you had clear water leaking under your kitchen sink, would you call it a sanitization issue or just a leak? Every month we have a member or two have to tighten a water line connection. Seems like you could do the same. I would.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

Clamp was checked and "tightened" under sink when we arrived at campground and discovered leak. There is a valve near the leak and this may be the problem.

My frustration comes from lack of attention/interest from dealer or manufacturer on a known issue that involves sanitation.

I personally have no intention of getting officials or attorneys involved.........trust me.......if they get wind of these types of issues....... they will be more than happy to get involved in the camping industry.

Imagine General Motors being exposed to a fuel leak with their vehicles. They would have a plane load of engineers surrounding the vehicle. I would put sanitation in that same catagory.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
If you had clear water leaking under your kitchen sink, would you call it a sanitization issue or just a leak? Every month we have a member or two have to tighten a water line connection. Seems like you could do the same. I would.
Water leak is not an issue. Leak into living area from a known black tank flush line is an issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
Water leak is not an issue. Leak into living area from a known black tank flush line is an issue.

Thanks.
I agree... but it’s not black tank contents; it’s just campground water if I understood your explanation.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
Always Learning

I know you're frustrated and you're right to be, but in the grand scheme of things this is a small thing.

It's a simple replacement:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Assembl...dp/B07P75Y1MR/
Old 04-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #12

This is a pretty common problem. I replaced ours with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00467HJBQ
/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...1WFAEKZ8JMM4Z1

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...1WFAEKZ8JMM4Z1
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #13

Sorry if I come across trying to be the Ralph Nader of the camping world...that is not the case. At 72 years if age my wife and I bought our very first camper and issues developed on our first outing and no help from dealer, corporate or manufacturer.

Nobody will talk to me and that is frustrating.......but, maybe that is the way it is in the camping world.

Will post a couple of photographs when I get to home computer.

We had to cancel our second outing today.......no camper.

Time for happy hour.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #14

This is what got everything started................

NOT Fresh Water hook-up.........

This is fresh water hook-up......

Old 04-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #15

Learning a lot........if I decide to go get my camper (from dealer where it was purchased) before repairs are made......will you folks walk me through the repairs?

I can provide photographs...... but, keep in mind I am 72 years of age.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
This is what got everything started................

NOT Fresh Water hook-up.........

This is fresh water hook-up......

The first one looks like fresh water tank fill, The second one looks like city water hook-up. But, since I don't have a black tank flush, it may look the same, for all I know.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
The first one looks like fresh water tank fill, The second one looks like city water hook-up. But, since I don't have a black tank flush, it may look the same, for all I know.
Second pic is the blackwater tank flush.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #18

Will pick up my camper today......not going to miss anymore of the camping season.

Will attempt to do repairs myself.

Could Administrator move this thread to the appropriate section of the forum so fellow campers can walk me through the repair process.

Thanks for everyone's help and guidance.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #19

Will pick up camper this afternoon and attempt to do repair myself.

Being my first camper and being 72 years of age, am going to need help from you folks.

Quick overview of issue: When using "Black Water Tank Flush" feature on my 2021 "Salem" FSX 177BH there is a leak under the sink. Camping World is backed up with warranty repairs and I do not want to miss any of this years camping season, so will attempt to repair this sanitation issue with help from the forum members.

Also, the Black Water Tank Flush and City Water stickers/decals were reversed on my unit at delivery and created confusion for me and my wife until fellow campers helped identify the problem on our first outing.

I will share photos of leak area to help identify possible fixes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Will pick up camper this afternoon and attempt to do repair myself.

Being my first camper and being 72 years of age, am going to need help from you folks.

Quick overview of issue: When using "Black Water Tank Flush" feature on my 2021 "Salem" FSX 177BH there is a leak under the sink. Camping World is backed up with warranty repairs and I do not want to miss any of this years camping season, so will attempt to repair this sanitation issue with help from the forum members.

Also, the Black Water Tank Flush and City Water stickers/decals were reversed on my unit at delivery and created confusion for me and my wife until fellow campers helped identify the problem on our first outing.

I will share photos of leak area to help identify possible fixes.

Thanks in advance.
Don't know if this will help you but as you can see from this typical factory install there is no way black tank water can be leaking from the vacuum breaker-check valve. One does not need the cleanout working (or even installed for that matter) to go camping; it's just a convenience item. Go camping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank cleanout1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	251087  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote