Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Always Learning

Unhappy Leaking hose in plumbing

I've got a hose/flexible pipe that is seems to have some kind of hole in it. I can't easily get to it, so I can't see it up close - but there is a fairly steady drip (1 drip ever couple of seconds). It's above the clamp on the hose holding it to a "T" connector. Not that it matters, but this is directly off of the back of the hot water heater bypass. Also, this worked fine for 7 months and even days before I noticed the drip - it was like it didn't drip until we got it home and were using it here at the house (running off of the FW tank and water pump).

In the picture, the red circle shows the general area. The brown arrow shows the ballpark of where the drip is appearing. I've tried feeling around for water above this, but haven't felt anything - so I think it's about here.

Fortunately, it's only about 6"-8" of hose. I'm thinking I can snip the clamps with wire cutters, get a replacement hose and then standard camps from a big box store.

Can you tell me what I need for the replacement hose? I can see that I need 1/2" inner diameter that's good for a higher PSI than my system will ever see. Do I need anything special because this is on the hot water side of the system?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've got a hose/flexible pipe that is seems to have some kind of hole in it. I can't easily get to it, so I can't see it up close - but there is a fairly steady drip (1 drip ever couple of seconds). It's above the clamp on the hose holding it to a "T" connector. Not that it matters, but this is directly off of the back of the hot water heater bypass. Also, this worked fine for 7 months and even days before I noticed the drip - it was like it didn't drip until we got it home and were using it here at the house (running off of the FW tank and water pump).

In the picture, the red circle shows the general area. The brown arrow shows the ballpark of where the drip is appearing. I've tried feeling around for water above this, but haven't felt anything - so I think it's about here.

Fortunately, it's only about 6"-8" of hose. I'm thinking I can snip the clamps with wire cutters, get a replacement hose and then standard camps from a big box store.

Can you tell me what I need for the replacement hose? I can see that I need 1/2" inner diameter that's good for a higher PSI than my system will ever see. Do I need anything special because this is on the hot water side of the system?
Looks to me as if you have a loose clamp. You can use regular hose clamps . It appears as if there is enough hose to cut a small piece off of the end if need be and still have enough hose left . Good luck! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Nothing special needed. Re-enforced flexible potable water hose.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
Looks to me as if you have a loose clamp. You can use regular hose clamps . It appears as if there is enough hose to cut a small piece off of the end if need be and still have enough hose left . Good luck! Jim
I did have the full picture opened and from being outside, I think the drip is coming from "above" the clamp. Orientation is funky here on the picture. The left side of coming off of the red hose is more vertical than it appears. It seems that the drip is appearing and then running down over the clamp to the "T" and then down the other clamp and hose.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Nothing special needed. Re-enforced flexible potable water hose.
Thanks. My father-in-law said that I should make sure to mention the guys in the plumbing dept. that it was for hot water lines. I wasn't sure if that would make a difference or not.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #6

i believe i would cut that clamp off and replace it (as farmerjim suggested). if that doesn't work, then i would cut the hose and slip it back on. don't overlook a cracked "T".

if ur not sure where the leak is coming from, u can wrap toilet paper around different areas and see what gets wet.

i have more confidence in it being a poor clamp than a cracked "T" though.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
if ur not sure where the leak is coming from, u can wrap toilet paper around different areas and see what gets wet.
Toilet paper! I had the idea of wrapping some kind of paper around the area to see where it originates, but I couldn't figure out what kind of paper. TP is a great idea.

I'll give it a shot. I'm going to get a couple of clamps, a piece of replacement hose and a "T" when I run out tonight before attacking this tomorrow. That way, no matter what it is - I *should* have the part on hand.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I would try a regular hose clamp on the red tube and "T" fitting. Those pinch type clamps can loosen from the expansion and contraction from hot water going through the tube, then as the water cools off in the tube when not in use. I'd start there before cutting any tubing. It just might save you time, energy and a few curse words.
Ever notice the leaks always happen on the pipe or tube that's the toughest one to get to. It was the same situation when it was installed which is most likely why it now leaks.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

The clamps appear to be standard plumbing. I purchased the crimper at Home Depot. If the pipe is strained at the connection or at any angle mating with the T it may cause a leak.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Just figured if the accessibilty is a problem a regular hose clamp could be tightened with a 1/4" socket on a ratchet and an extension or flex connector if necessary.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #11

I'm sure you've fixed your leak by now, but here are a few considerations for you:

Perhaps purchasing a "T" and splice for each of your hose sizes, 3 stainless steel hose clamps and hose-to-pump fittings if they are a plastic is a good idea?

(some ss hose clamps are not fully ss, generally more than 3 clamps are not necessary)

Your cost isn't much and if you break a T or fitting, have a worn hose or broken clamp, you can fix it on the spot.

Cheers,
Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Always Learning

Thanks for the ideas, Mike. It's not fixed yet- I found it last week, but shut off the bypass and then opened the low point drains. So, it's not actively leaking right now. I assume I'll have to actually re-fill the water lines to get the drip to happen again when it's time.

Tonight is a trip to the big box store. Tomorrow is the fix-it time.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Always Learning

Actually, I slightly lie - I think I'll hit the small hardware store. I know that they had RV antifreeze the last time I was there. Plus, they're always really helpful.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I would try a regular hose clamp on the red tube and "T" fitting. Those pinch type clamps can loosen from the expansion and contraction from hot water going through the tube, then as the water cools off in the tube when not in use.
Hose clamps WILL NOT work on PEX tubing. You cannot achieve the compression required for a leak proof connection. That's what generated the "flair it" fitting and the more recent slip type fitting industry.

15 years in the RV repair industry, so I'm speaking from experience. The compression required on PEX type pipe is why the crimping tools are so costly.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #15

I can't argue with your experience RodeoGeorge, I can only suggest that the hose shown in the photos are not PEX and of course, PEX comes with it's own fittings. It's good that you illustrated the difference for those that don't know.

Personally, I have both fixes on the RV for emergency situations, which is what I tried to illustrage. Sometimes I feel like I wear both a belt and suspenders just in case. LOL

Either way, purchasing a T and splice for between two hoses in case a hose has a hole or wear, or for that matter a break in the T itself and clamps might make sense and it doesn't cost much or take up a ton of space.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler2955 View Post
I can't argue with your experience RodeoGeorge, I can only suggest that the hose shown in the photos are not PEX and of course, PEX comes with it's own fittings. It's good that you illustrated the difference for those that don't know.
Mike,

For clarification, on the tee in the picture there are two flexible reinforced hoses, which should be able to be secured with a hose clamp.

The Red hose however is a PEX variety, and normally cannot be secured with a hose clamp. At least, not for any length of time.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #17

Good morning,

Again, I don't doubt your expertise and I'll yield to your view.

Nevertheless, I still think it’s incumbent upon the owner or user to be prepared with appropriate fixes and tools to do minor jobs. If that means he/she takes the hose off and purchases proper fitting, so be it. Purchasing a length of hose and fittings isn’t expensive.

Flopping around somewhere without the ability to do anything including change a lightbulb isn’t the brightest move, in my less-than humble opinion. Our discussion enhances one’s ability, we hope, which is why this forum survives.

So, take comments and get the right stuff. Enjoy the experiences.

Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler2955 View Post
Good morning,

Again, I don't doubt your expertise and I'll yield to your view.

Nevertheless, I still think it’s incumbent upon the owner or user to be prepared with appropriate fixes and tools to do minor jobs. If that means he/she takes the hose off and purchases proper fitting, so be it. Purchasing a length of hose and fittings isn’t expensive.

Flopping around somewhere without the ability to do anything including change a lightbulb isn’t the brightest move, in my less-than humble opinion. Our discussion enhances one’s ability, we hope, which is why this forum survives.

So, take comments and get the right stuff. Enjoy the experiences.

Mike
I could not agree more on the being prepared part, for sure. I have a plastic container in the under storage that is full of "spares". Fridge Circuit Board, Fridge Door Handle, Thermostat, Toilet Ball and Gate Valve and Vacuum Breaker, Pop Rivet Gun & Rivets, Flair It Fittings, Clamps, 24" sections of 3/8" and 1/2" PEX, Spare Drawer & Door Latches, Fuses, Generator Oil & Air Filter, Water Filter, Awning Pull Straps (Patio & Window), Faucet Bonnets, Garden Hose Washers, Watts Water Regulator Repair Kit, Light Bulbs, etc.

It is much better to shop for these items ahead of time than to have to purchase them on the road at sometimes large mark ups.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
jdadoug

Being Prepared

Boy talk about a guy being prepared! jdadoug
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
I could not agree more on the being prepared part, for sure. I have a plastic container in the under storage that is full of "spares". Fridge Circuit Board, Fridge Door Handle, Thermostat, Toilet Ball and Gate Valve and Vacuum Breaker, Pop Rivet Gun & Rivets, Flair It Fittings, Clamps, 24" sections of 3/8" and 1/2" PEX, Spare Drawer & Door Latches, Fuses, Generator Oil & Air Filter, Water Filter, Awning Pull Straps (Patio & Window), Faucet Bonnets, Garden Hose Washers, Watts Water Regulator Repair Kit, Light Bulbs, etc.

It is much better to shop for these items ahead of time than to have to purchase them on the road at sometimes large mark ups.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug View Post
Boy talk about a guy being prepared! jdadoug
Yes he is ! I think you may be surprised at how prepared many on this forum are . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, leaking hose, plumbing, water