Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #1

Unhappy Leaks everywhere! Help!

My 2016 Crusader lite has PEX plumbing...except where it needs to flex and connect things like the water pump. when it comes off the PEX it is connected by these cheapie plastic fittings using a braided vinyl? 1/2" hose. White with Red stripes for hot and Blue stripes for cold, the hoses are attached to the fittings by cinch clamps. My rig is only 5 years old and I'm having leaks all over. The hose is not flexible like it should be and the cinch clamps look tight, but are leaking. I was told to never use screw clamps as they come loose and leak. Well, the cinch clamps are leaking and though I have replaced a number of them they still seem to leak. Are there better fitting out there? Better hose? Better clamps. It's killing me to work in the small cross over storage compartment, but its the only access to the plumbing. I;m getting too old for this. Previous owner said there was a small leak. Yeah, like the Titanic.
Any body have some good advice? Hoakieman
Hoakieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #2

Ok to distill this down to the actual problem you'er and old person like me and you have leaks at the connections for your water pump correct? My first question is does it leak with the pump running or when on city water? If it leaks with city water check your pressure regulator if it leaks with the pump then replace the hose and clamps. You can use sharkbite for hose to pex and a standard hose clamp from hose to pump fitting. I have never had a hose clamp not work with that said I'm sure there are times others have.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I've replaced some of my cinch clamps with screw clamps and have never had a problem with them coming loose.
As mentioned by SeaDog above, check your pressure.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Often times the PLASTIC fittings used to connect PEX and other hoses become distorted and no amount of tightening or clamping will keep them from leaking.

There are many posts on R/V forums of members swapping out the plastic fittings for brass.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Standard hose clamps don’t work on pex pipe. It may work at the beginning but will fail with time.
Some people heat the pex before tightening a standard hose clamp.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #6

Leaks everywhere

Hi all, Thanks to everyone who responded. The PEX does not leak, the leaks are all at the connection of the PEX and braided vinyl hoses. They all have cinch clamps. I replaced the water pump, but that pressure should not be enough to cause so many leaks. Looks like I'd better switch to brass fittings. I have used Sharkbite in house plumbing and never had any leaks, but don't think they would help in this case. Does anyone make a more flexible tubing to follow the PEX? This stuff is really stiff. I don't know how to add photos to my posts. If I can find out how, Ill repost to show what I'm dealing with. I'm ready to try the screw clamps, can't be any worse than what I have now.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoakieman View Post
Hi all, Thanks to everyone who responded. The PEX does not leak, the leaks are all at the connection of the PEX and braided vinyl hoses. They all have cinch clamps. I replaced the water pump, but that pressure should not be enough to cause so many leaks. Looks like I'd better switch to brass fittings. I have used Sharkbite in house plumbing and never had any leaks, but don't think they would help in this case. Does anyone make a more flexible tubing to follow the PEX? This stuff is really stiff. I don't know how to add photos to my posts. If I can find out how, Ill repost to show what I'm dealing with. I'm ready to try the screw clamps, can't be any worse than what I have now.
I suspect you are referring to the mix of plumbing such as this... (below) If so, it is common in the R/V industry.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

You're looking for 1/2" RV Pressurized Water Hose
Inside Diameter: 1/2"
Outside Diameter: 5/8"

https://www.recpro.com/1-2-rv-pressu...er-hose-combo/

Get some brass fittings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HML632Q

And a tool with clamps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DPYQZM/

These will solve your problem, and you will never worry about plumbing again because you will have what you need to fix any future problems.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #9

Thanks Smackit, I did that. I found the problem being that the manufacturer used all PEX fittings and they don't fit the 1/2" vinyl tubing. So I have to adapt, using brass fittings one side is pex and the other 1/2" hose. Expensive but it will work.
Thanks for all the advice. Hoakieman
Old 01-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #10

The PEX tubing and the vinyl tubing should both have an inner diameter of 1/2". The problem with a lot of 1/2" vinyl is the wrong inner diameter. I tried Amazon and Home Depot, both times the ID was wrong. I finally found the correct recpro stuff on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082QL3CFF
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #11

Many larger home brew supply vendors like Morebeer.com carry different types of 1/2”ID tubing, fittings and clamps .
Old 01-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #12

Smile 1/2" not 1/2"

Yes, I used my calipers and the PEX was just right but the hose the RV manufacturer used was larger over pEX 1/2". So i/2" isn't always 1/2" LOL! I ordered the stuff you listed from Amazon.
Thanks everyone, not I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Hoakieman
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hoakieman, I had same exact problem on same hoses, except mine were all leaking in wet bay where water filter is. Had to remove and bought a PEX tool to reattach after I clipped deformed hose material. I think at least 5 fittings all started leaking at same time.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #14
Site Team

You might be better off replacing the flex hose. As inexpensive flex tubing/hose ages, the flex part gets hard and dries. If this was in a B&M house it would not be an issue, but in an RV the movement /vibration will cause the seal to fail.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak