Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
No I really don't know and my Mother told me that I will never know things until/unless i ask - so I'm asking.
Ok, this exchange made me LOL a little.

I can see your confusion, but man - it's still got me chuckling.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I know right!
I alsmost had a "Turbs" over the deal!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #43
B47

Quote:

Well I am glad I was able to bring a little chuckle into your life today.I still will bet there are others here who didn't know either.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #44

This is Sofa King Funny! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This is Sofa King Funny! Youroo!!
This is amazing - yours is the 12th reply in this thread since my asking what it meant.

Must be a slow Friday.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #46

Quote:
That's essentially how the Red Cross taught us during first aid and CPR classes for glove removal. About the only thing different is:

"Then use your now un-gloved hand to grasp the remaining glove from the inside at its very top and pull it down, leaving the first glove inside."

That way, you never touch the outside of a glove with a bare hand.
You are exactly right. I left out an important detail. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
I wonder what people do today when they change their kids diapers. When my little one was little, we didn't wear gloves to change diapers, just made sure to wash up after with soap and water. We both survived!

Do you wear gloves when you take a bowel movement and then wipe? I don't. Just easy up after with soap and water.

I was raised on a farm also and never worried about a little poo either. That was what soap and water were for.

By the way, as far as the previous generations dying young, in my wife's family and mine, the previous generations, that didn't use gloves just good old soap (not even antibacterial soap) and water, managed to live into their late '80s and '90s.
I guess if my 4 grandparents had used rubber gloves, they would have lived a lot longer. They all missed 100 by 2-6 yrs.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #48
"On the road again"

I admit - I'm one of those that has the box of 100 disposable plastic gloves in the underbelly and wear then when hooking or or removing the sewer hose.

But - I tell you what I see so often that has me paranoid when hooking up to the water at any campground.

Why do people unhook their water hose, and then take the sewer hose off and stick it up on the bare water faucet to clean out before packing it away. I just imagine how many germs get transferred from the sewer hose to the fresh-water hookup that the next visitor is going to hook up to.

Don't get me wrong - I was raised by parents who knew that a little dirt helped build the immune system so I'm certainly far from a "clean freak" - but, seeing that sure makes me spend a bit of extra time cleaning off (even using hand sanitizer) on the fresh-water faucet before drinking anything from it. And...once my water is hooked up I'll let it run 2 or 3 minutes onto the ground before hooking up to the trailer.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Might be wrong, but have never seen anyone use gloves when the finish putting the stuff in the black tank.
OldCoot you may need a hobby; the people putting the stuff in the black tank may be offended with you watching...LMAO

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Why do people unhook their water hose, and then take the sewer hose off and stick it up on the bare water faucet to clean out before packing it away. I just imagine how many germs get transferred from the sewer hose to the fresh-water hookup that the next visitor is going to hook up to.
As the original "no gloves" admitter - that, frankly, is disgusting! I've heard of this happening but haven't ever seen it. I'd surely start carrying a bottle of bleach in a spray bottle once I did. YUCK!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #51
Site Team - Lou

Ranks right up there with letting your dog pee on the water pipes.
Grrr.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
yhgtbsm
I am.
It seemed to me that things were about to get heated between the pro poop crowd and the pro hygiene crowd, so I thought I'd inject a bit of levity before the...er...gloves came off...

(fer Pete's sake, I have a T10 A-Frame -they don't even have a sewer pipe)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Ditto on the Blue Nitrile gloves.

What you may be seeing when they place the used gloves back into the storage area may be just temporary. Most of the dump stations at the CGs we frequent don't have anywhere to dispose of the gloves so I just place them into a Pick and Save bag to throw out later.
i agree with you,,,, most dump sites don't have a garbage can to throw you disposal gloves in !!!
jslager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #54
Oklahoma Proud

All right, I'm a country boy, have even installed/repaired several septic systems(wearing gloves and rubber boots). Horse and cow crap doesn't concern me much. My families black water- ehh- I wear nitril gloves and have a spray bottle of bleach. I Spray the dump station faucet before and after use and my clean out hose too with it.
Use baby wipes after gloves removed (usually throw inside out gloves in back of truck till we find a trash can)
I'm a little OCD most of the time- especially after about 2 months of sickness floating around our house- spray lysol and alcohol everywhere.
I'm more concerned about others nasty habits or germs than ours.

Ps. We don't use gloves after cleaning my little boys butt, but usually wipes are the only thing touching anything- and of course wash my hands good afterwards!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I know what DW,DH,DS,YMMV, etc means here, but what does "yhgtbsm" mean?
B, I had to look up that 1 myself.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post

Right there is the reason that I take extra precautions when hooking up my water at sites that have sewer. At sites without a sewer hookup, I always wipe the water faucet inside and out with Listerine, and then let the water run for a minute or 2 before hooking up. At sites that have sewer, I wipe down the faucet inside and out with IPA, then light that stuff on fire !! 1 time I caught the leaves under the faucet on fire, but that was easily extinguished by turning on the faucet after my "sterilization" fire went out.

For anybody contemplating taking these steps, be very careful. 1st, it don't take much alcohol, and I always make sure the bottle is well away from the faucet, and double check that I didn't get any on my hands or clothes. Alcohol burns very clean:....you can barely see the flame. And I don't sterilize faucets with plastic fittings, or if the faucet is close to anything flammable, including the camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #57
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
I am.
It seemed to me that things were about to get heated between the pro poop crowd and the pro hygiene crowd, so I thought I'd inject a bit of levity before the...er...gloves came off...

(fer Pete's sake, I have a T10 A-Frame -they don't even have a sewer pipe)
- Figured as much!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #58

Don't play in the poop folks and you won't need gloves.

You touch all sorts of things you know - been in a public bathroom? You've no idea of who has, or has not, done what where.

Same for dumping - Assuming you wear you gloves from when you get out till you get back in you may be OK...but what about your shoes? The oustide of whatever you keep your hose/gear in? If you use a tub ever set it or the lid on the ground?

If you hose off the area before you leave ever splash anything? (your legs/pants/shoes?)

Do you wear gloves when you clean up after fido? Take out the trash? Work in the yard (wild critter deficate anywhere they want...I'm sure there's bird feces in your grass clippings).

Just sayin'...

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #59
B47

I guess this is a thread/subject that will never end due to so many different points of view and/or opinions.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #60

As some posters have mentioned, I too grew up working on a dairy farm. Very common to be milking cows when they have a "nature call", a common event to be spattered, even in face by cow "you know what". Worked on septic tanks, sewer lines etc... through life for one reason or another, so doing a RV dump is no biggie. Just wash thoroughly afterwards and have a bottle of water/bleach mix to spray on everything at the end.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote