RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #21
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've never heard of this.

In the summer I'm not away from my trailer long enough to worry about it and I've never had the AF evaporate in the winter.
I do it just to keep the humidity down in the TH when it is parked. Ours can sit for up to 4 weeks. I probably should put more AF in the commode. Last winter I put about 1/2 an inch. it was just a residue 6 months later.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Does anyone still put plastic wrap over their toilets? Back in the day, my parents would always leave water or antifreeze (season depending) in the commode and put plastic wrap over the bowl. My dad told me it was to help keep the water from evaporating. Whatever water did, collected on the plastic and dripped back into the bowl. Also would keep the smell out should the water drain through the seal. Did this in the vacation home too.
Quote:
I've never heard of this.

In the summer I'm not away from my trailer long enough to worry about it and I've never had the AF evaporate in the winter.
We never did this for the purpose mentioned here but when younger, we sure did it as a prank. Stretch that plastic wrap tight enough you could see through it (with the seat up) then put the seat down and the next person to use the toilet got a surprise!

And to answer the OP's question... we always leave a small amount of water in the bowl. Maybe 3/4"
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We never did this for the purpose mentioned here but when younger, we sure did it as a prank. Stretch that plastic wrap tight enough you could see through it (with the seat up) then put the seat down and the next person to use the toilet got a surprise!
I was going to mention the same prank. Almost always a hit with women, especially in the middle of the night. Immature minds think alike.
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #24

We had a live aboard boat for 24 years before buying our TT 18 mos ago and I have been using a trick I learned from our boat toilet - I always keep a couple inches of water in the bowl and about once a month I put in a few drops of baby oil - after I started doing that in our boat, my husband did not have to replace the joker valve for the last 8 years we owned our boat. Before that it needed replacing every couple years.
Susanormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #25

Here's some RV toilet tips that might be helpful from a member of the Class C RVing Facebook group I joined.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200602-010837_Facebook.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	230402
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHensler View Post
Newbie RV question here. When I'm done camping for the weekend, what is the proper way to leave the toilet? Completely empty of water or a little water left in it? Note that I am talking about the toilet itself, not the black tank.
We leave water in the bowl, and saran wrap over the top to prevent evaporation. Also we wrap the house bowls when we're going to be gone for any length of time.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHensler View Post
Newbie RV question here. When I'm done camping for the weekend, what is the proper way to leave the toilet? Completely empty of water or a little water left in it? Note that I am talking about the toilet itself, not the black tank.
Leave water in there and it's an invite to bugs that are around to live there. Get the water out of there and if you want, spray the ring with some silicone that will keep the gasket from drying out....simple, easy and btw, that water will probably drain out after a few days anyway.
GOlfbum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #28

Haven't had a bug problem in 8 years of leaving liquid in the bowl and I park outside.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOlfbum18 View Post
Leave water in there and it's an invite to bugs that are around to live there. Get the water out of there and if you want, spray the ring with some silicone that will keep the gasket from drying out....simple, easy and btw, that water will probably drain out after a few days anyway.
If your water is draining out in a few days then you need a new seal.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #30

Quote:
If your water is draining out in a few days then you need a new seal.
RIght! I don't, others tell me about theirs..just giving the guy a heads up! I don't keep water in there and spray with silicon.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Haven't had a bug problem in 8 years of leaving liquid in the bowl and I park outside.
Try Florida and you'll find bugs anywhere if you give them a chance. Just sayin'....don't really care to debate the point.....a suggestion to the guy that asked the question...let it at that.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #32
As long as I can!

Re: cleaning. Cleaning with bleach or household cleaners will stain a plastic bowl and even if there is a porcelain bowl, it will mess with the black tank chemicals being used.

Have been using Happy Camper for over 15 years as an additive to the black tank every time it is dumped. 100% organic, 100% bio-degradable. Never had an odor or a black tank issue and never had to replace toilet guts.

Anyway, it is a powder and after adding it to some water in the toilet bowl, take the brush and brush the bowl, open the flapper and brush around the edge of the flapper. Fill the bowl with water a couple of times and flush each time.

Bowl is clean and black tank gets cleaned moving down the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B005XEFADU

Tags
water