Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Length of Sewer Pipe and Water Line

I have a 2018 28DBUD. My question is...are the items provided in the starter kit that came with the camper (sewer and water hookups) of adequate length? What is a good length so as to not have connection issues? Also, I assume I will also have to get a length of coax cable. What is a good length for that as well? New to this activity do any help is greatly appreciated. We will go for an overnight dry run close to the house before going out for real.
DSBATCHELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

Here is my count. We've never come close to being short:

30' power cord + 25' extension 30 amp cord
10' sewer hose x 2
25' water hose x 2
25' black water flush hose
50' coax cable - building an additional HD antenna in the near future.

Realistically, I could easily leave some of it at home; however, it doesn't weigh much and doesn't take up much space in the front compartment.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

What is the difference between sewer hose and black water hose? I thought there was only one hose that connects to gray and black outlet, then you open the gray or black valve to empty each.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

The sewer hose drains both the black and grey tank. The black tank flush hose rinses clean water through the black tank and out the sewer hose.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Where does the black water flush hose connect? I thought i only had 1 sewer hose hookup.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

It will look just like the city water hook up but say "black tank flush". It will look like a garden hose fitting.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Working at retired:D

Depends on your camper and where your camping.
When we keep ours on a seasonal site in Ohio
30’ power cord only 5’ needed 50 amp
10’ sewer hose x2 Only 4’ needed
20’ water hose ok
40’ Black flush hose used to wash camper too ok
25’ coax ok
We then wintered in Florida
30’ power cord a little short had to jockey trailer to reach ( need to get extension cord just in case)
10’ sewer hose x2 had to get another 10’ ( now carry 30’)
20’ water hose had to add 15’ ( now carry 20’x2)
40’ Black flush hose ok
25’ coax ok (now carry 50’)

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2012 Ford F-350 CC
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

The additions I would make is one more 10 foot section of sewer hose with a 45 degree clear elbow and a water pressure regulator.
BTW welcome from Kentucky (and Florida this time of the year).
Go camping and have some fun.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

Any idea if my trailer has black water flush connection? I dont recall them showing us that. How do I use it if I have one. I drain black water first. Then drain the built up gray i store to flush the line. Then what?

BTW, thanks for all of your responses!!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBATCHELDER View Post
Where does the black water flush hose connect? I thought I only had 1 sewer hose hookup.
It is not a sewer hose. It is a freshwater sewer tank rinse hose.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Any idea if my trailer has black water flush connection? I dont recall them showing us that. How do I use it if I have one. I drain black water first. Then drain the built up gray i store to flush the line. Then what?

Black tank flush is optional on some models. Not sure on yours. If you don’t have factory black tank flush you can flush through toilet. Use several bowls of water or get a flush wand to put down through toilet. Flush wand actually works better cleaning black tank on our Wildcat than the built in black tank flush. Got our flush wand at Walmart
Flushing is running water into the black tank until it drains clean. As already suggested, a clear sewer hose connector will help see when black tank is clear.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #12

I missed the fact that apparently need to buy a reverse flush valve. Do i drain the tanks prior to installing this. Then leave either gray or black valve open, connect sewer flush hose to this flush valve and turn on the water? Then repeat for the other tank?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #13

Thanks TX. That sounds fairly easy as well.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

Quote:

If you can't find a 2nd water hose connection on the outside than you don't have one. If you did it is used to clean and flush the tank after it is drained. Mine is an '02 wildcat 5er and does not have one. I just run water thru the toilet.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
I missed the fact that apparently need to buy a reverse flush valve. Do i drain the tanks prior to installing this. Then leave either gray or black valve open, connect sewer flush hose to this flush valve and turn on the water? Then repeat for the other tank?
I'm guessing you're talking about the flush adapters that connect to the black tank drain. Don't have to drain tanks before installing if it's an adapter. Flush procedure is as you describe. However, these actually don't work unless you have a straight pipe into the black tank. If your camper has an enclosed underbelly it may be hard to tell if pipe is straight. Even then they're not real efficient as they push water under pressure into the tank along with any left over solids. Videos out there on YouTube. Tank will get cleaner flushing through the toilet. If you have a straight pipe into the tank it could help break up solids but I'd still flush through the toilet. I had one of these flushers. Ended up up using it as a clear connector to see when tank was clean. My drain had an elbow into the black tank. Key to keeping black tank clean is lots of water. I know can't do that without full hook ups but do so when you do flush black tank.
The Wildcat we have now has a black tank flush but it doesn't get tank very clean. I use it then still have to flush through the toilet to make sure tank is clean. It's probably flushing from wrong side of the tank.
I've heard some out there have added a black tank flush connector. It should be on opposite side of camper from tank drain. Actually planning to add one to my daughter and son in laws camper this spring. Their black tank is easily accessed.

This video is good example of tank flushing. I don't necessarily endorse any product their selling.

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2012 Ford F-350 CC
Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #16

Quote:
there is no reverse flush valve. If you trailer has a 2nd hose connection then it is used to clean the tank. There is an adaptor cap with a hose connection you could use to flush your tank IF you drain is straight into your tank. The idea if the adaptor is to hook a garden house to it and run your gray water onto the ground away from your trailer while keeping you black gate valve closed.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #17

t only takes one time where the sewer/water/electric hookups are about 3' out of your reach due to poor site design to start carrying "extensions for all.

For me it was a back in site that had he curb stop too far forward and utilities were about 5' behind the site, shared with back in sites on the other side. Fire Marshal made them put in the curb stops so there was always a Fire Break behind all the trailers.

Like I said, it only took one---

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #18

Carry at least 30' of sewer hose, 40' of electrical, 50' of water hose, and 40' of coax. I do not carry a different hose for my black tank flush. It has a one way valve, and with the inlet above the tank, there is no way for it to "back up" into the hose. Also a good water regulator for your fresh water inlet.

You will find out that the connections at the camp sites can be all over the place. Some towards the front, some the back. Even had electrical in the back and sewer in the front. And add to that, your inlets on the camper itself. Some trailers the connections are towards the back, some like mine are mid trailer. When you park, you have to look at where the connections are at the site and adjust for that if you can.

And if you are ever short, there is usually a Wally World pretty close by. They usually will have what you need a lot cheaper than what the store at the campsite will charge you if they have it.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
there is no reverse flush valve. If you trailer has a 2nd hose connection then it is used to clean the tank. There is an adaptor cap with a hose connection you could use to flush your tank IF you drain is straight into your tank. The idea if the adaptor is to hook a garden house to it and run your gray water onto the ground away from your trailer while keeping you black gate valve closed.
Ah... but there is.
And I suspect this is what the OP was referring to.

Flush King Reverse Flush Valve For R/V Holding Tanks.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #20

X2... I would measure from your connections on the trailer to the back and add 10' for all your connections. Then I would get the clear 45 degree elbow and gate valve above. I learned the last one the hard way, I had dumped and flushed with the gray water and everything looked good. Then I drove 100 miles and pulled into the station filled up and and went in to get a drink and when I came out I had dumped a pile of black water on the driveway. Only a 2 foot dump and yes both valves were closed... not sure how or where it gets hung up but the clear elbow keeps you from getting a gross pile if you open the gate valve without being connected.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water