Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Lessons Learned!

Well, got the TT de-winterized and took it two hours north of home in the 'thumb' area of Lower Michigan to shake the winter cobwebs of of both the trailer and me!

Got to the campground and got all set up and began filling the freshwater tank (as the site had water and electric hook-ups) and went about doing other tasks.

Came around to check if water was coming out the air vent when I heard water pouring out underneath. Apparently, the dealer failed to replace my freshwater tank drain cap when they de-winterized it so shame on both them for doing that, but on me too for not checking it myself.

So, instead, I just used the city-fill spout--which I had never used before--and it worked great! So I found a drain cap at the local hardware store and put it on but continued to just use the city-water connection. All was well, right....?

Well that is, until a MAJOR wind storm hit the next day and took out the power for the entire county! So, no more electric OR running water except the last dribbles from what was in the lines. Aargh!

So...lessons learned: 1) ALWAYS check what was worked on for the trailer before going on a trip and 2) If one has a chance to fill the freshwater tank--even if using the city-water connection--do it!

All ended up ok though and I made the best of it. That first night with no power around made for some great star-gazing dark skies!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
That first night with no power around made for some great star-gazing dark skies!
That almost makes it all worth it!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Coachmen Clipper Fan

It sure did epennydad! That part was the silver lining of the weekend, for sure! :-)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

I've never thought about if the power went out at a campground that the water wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I've never thought about if the power went out at a campground that the water wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.
Just another reason we travel with a full, fresh water tank.
Never know what the quality of water is, whether there is water, or where you might break down along the way and have to spend an emergency overnight stay.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Depends on the campground, but yeah- it's happened to me a couple of times, too.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

I travel with full fresh water for two reasons. Number one is that my fresh tank is against the rear bumper and I’m tongue heavy so I use the ballast to balance the trailer out ( I’m still over 13 percent tw). The second is Incase something like this happens.

I also take my generator with me everywhere I go. I’ve lost power 3 times last year. First time didn’t have a genny. Next two times I was able to run the generator for 4 hours a day and have full batt power. It was 65 and sunny so I didn’t need ac at night.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Coachmen Clipper Fan

I agree with you Quicky06--I normally do travel with a full freshwater tank. Because I only have a 30-gallon tank, its not that much more weight for me to pulll, however, this time, I didn't fill up because I knew there was water at the campsite.

But....once I found out my freshwater drain cap was missing (which I've now bought a couple of them for spares!), I had to use the city-water connection.

But, this same thing won't happen again--I'll be prepared for sure!

And while I do have a generator with me at all times, and because I was only camping for three days, I was able to get by using batteries--didn't really need to use anything 110V.

It was the perfect storm--so to speak--with the great winds causing the outages. :-)