Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Let's talk about poop!

Well, mine specifically. Even though I'm an active guy who gets alot of fiber, filling a 30 gallon tank in 2 days is a challenge.

Seems a waste (excuse the pun) of chemicals to just dump after a weekend trip. Some places I go also don't have hookup and there is a line at the dump station. Is it OK to just leave it until the next trip (2 to 3 weeks later)? Or am I flirting with disaster? Are there certain brands of treatement that would ensure I'm not creating bricks in that time?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since you ask for opinions, to leave the stuff in the black tank for 2 or 3 weeks, you are not only flirting with disaster, but have the engagement ring on the finger, and the wedding date set. A camper locked in the hot sun, the water in the black tank will evaporate rather quickly, leaving solids. If you fill the black tank with water when you get home, you may be fine, but now your tank is full for the next trip. Most dealers have a dump station, and will let customers use that, if the dealer isn't far away. I think there post on here about Flying "J" having a dump station. Probably an app for a smart phone floating around that shows dump stations. I can dump mine at home, so real problem for me. If you are on a septic system, might add a tap to that for a dump. Several options, but I wouldn't leave it in there.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, mine specifically. Even though I'm an active guy who gets alot of fiber, filling a 30 gallon tank in 2 days is a challenge.

Seems a waste (excuse the pun) of chemicals to just dump after a weekend trip. Some places I go also don't have hookup and there is a line at the dump station. Is it OK to just leave it until the next trip (2 to 3 weeks later)? Or am I flirting with disaster? Are there certain brands of treatement that would ensure I'm not creating bricks in that time?

Good topic. Some don't want to discuss .

I bought the tablet from walmart and tossed it in but never stored the poop for extended time.

Can you just hook up a drain line next to the house and just dump it there.

On my driveway, its next to the kitchen and I notice a drain line outside the house (I think its a drain line that is capped).
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I got a better suggestion no poop in the tank !

Well he did ask
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

Can you toss the toilet paper inside the toilet? Newbie here.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Well he did ask
Yea, we know, you're weird f1100turbo. f1100turbo has a black tank that should be painted yellow, just because he has a weak stomach and doesn't want to dump poo.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Well he did ask

Hey, I draw the line at baggin the dog's!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntrac View Post
Can you toss the toilet paper inside the toilet? Newbie here.
Yes, provided it's the correct paper. Either RV paper, or paper safe for septic tanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On my driveway, its next to the kitchen and I notice a drain line outside the house (I think its a drain line that is capped).
Make sure the capped line is to a sanitary sewer or septic system, and not not just a surface drain !!

I have a sanitary sewer clean-out in my driveway that I use when needed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Yes, provided it's the correct paper. Either RV paper, or paper safe for septic tanks.

Learned something. I was at walmart and saw the paper in the RV section and asked myself why would people buy these paper instead of the normal ones
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

Ah, like moth's to a flame, I knew a few experts would show up...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Learned something. I was at walmart and saw the paper in the RV section and asked myself why would people buy these paper instead of the normal ones
You can use any paper that dissolves easily. Take a sheet and place in a glass of water. If it doesn't break up into little pieces don't put it in your tank
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Walmart carries a two-ply now for RV's that is almost suitable for humans. I'll have to check the label to see if it's made from Chinese bamboo.

Love a good poop thread though. Kinda like chummin for sharks.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
You can use any paper that dissolves easily. Take a sheet and place in a glass of water. If it doesn't break up into little pieces don't put it in your tank
You can use any tp on the market. Just don't use newspaper, paper towels, magazines and especially no corncobs as they will plug the discharge.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No baggin dogs here.
They go to cg restroom for a swim.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #16

For the original question, wouldn't the promote sway in the trailer as well? Traveling with a partially full tank?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Luckily my trailer is short, so the likelyhood of poop induced sway is not a factor. But surely there is an expert on the forum that could run the calculation and let us know.

There may be a product idea in there somewhere.....
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #18

Best way to deal with the black tank is to (literally) flush the crap out of it after every outing.

This can be a PITA at campgrounds where you have to wait in line for your turn, then you dump and feel rushed to get out.

I bought a flojet macerator (AKA: poop cannon) and now can flush as much as I want (ohh that one was was a bad pun) at home in the driveway at my leisure.

I just run the hose into a toilet and give 'er!

A better solution would be to have a direct line into the house stack, but that's beyond my reach at the moment.

My trailer is also further aided by the built in black tank flush system.

Just keep spraying and pumping until clear....no smells afterwards.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #19

Be careful of any Sewer Use Bylaws in your area. If you are caught in our area introducing anything other than raw domestic sewage into the system, (this means any chemicals that kill bacteria) you are subject to a $10,000 fine. We operate a biological Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Be careful of any Sewer Use Bylaws in your area. If you are caught in our area introducing anything other than raw domestic sewage into the system, (this means any chemicals that kill bacteria) you are subject to a $10,000 fine. We operate a biological Wastewater Treatment Plant.
I can understand the importance of that to maintain the microbial breakdown in the retention and aeration ponds, but people might be violating that law using bleach while washing their whites ??

I use a non-formaldehyde deodorant (Campa-Clean Natural) in my tank, along with a little Calgon, so I should be good to go.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Closed Thread