Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

Life expectancy of Suburban SW6P? six-gallon water heater for 1996 popup

Folks,

I have a 1996 Rockwood pop-up.

Just pulled out the non-working water heater - never lit in the past two seasons.

When I drained it, about 2/3 cup of corrosion/debris/bits of sand/metal with water dumped out.

Should I bother hauling this Suburban SW6P into the shop to see if they can get it working, or simply bite the bullet and buy a new $250 6-gallon water heater?

Is 20-years the expected lifespan of one of these units?

I don't think the ANODE ROD had ever been replaced.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Gordon
lake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

Never came with an anode originally, does it have one now? First I would move the thermostat lever at the top back and forth...does it have a noticible click? Move the entire range. If it does thats good. If not then its trash. Very rarely does it slip and lose calibration. Then I would ....did you say 250?...thats a pretty good deal. Depends on how mechanically inclined you are...alkaline water is a killer onthese tanks. But she may have some life..LMK if you want the rundown...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #3

My bad...my entire response was based on an atwood water heater...little preoccupied...sorry
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

Did you pull the pilot line loose and check for gas from the thermostat? May be just a dirty pilot burner? Watch the nut carefully where it attaches to the thermostat to be sure you dont rotate the aluminum line with it. Little oil helps sometimes
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

If you can get a new water heater for $250 go for it. I would not trust a 20 year old water heater. You might spend $100 to get it working only to find that the tank will start leaking because of rust.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

If in 20 years the anode was never replaced, you can be sure the tank is well shot. I am amazed you were able to get the old anode out; usually it is corroded in so tight without anode material that it would take 2 men and a boy with a 3 foot cheater bar to break it loose.

That heater owes you nothing; get a new one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
If in 20 years the anode was never replaced, you can be sure the tank is well shot. I am amazed you were able to get the old anode out; usually it is corroded in so tight without anode material that it would take 2 men and a boy with a 3 foot cheater bar to break it loose.

That heater owes you nothing; get a new one.
Agree, wouldn't even haul it past the trash can.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #8

What? With that oil filled italian valve now made in china? Ok...get a new one...lol. Once an rv tech...always a tech.

I want a pic of the anode rod..

Do u need a door kit with that?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Consider a sw6d if you have continuous 12v. The pilot model has a control valve that just gives people fits. Youd have to wire it in and spend a little more money to get it. But you could run for short periods if you wish and save propane in the process.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #10

Crockett has a good point. You may already be informed about this, but you can get a Suburban water heater with gas firing and a pilot light, or with gas firing and direct spark ignition (required 12 volts) or gas direct spark plus a 110 volt heating element.

The direct spark doesn't require much 12 volt power, so you probably wouldn't notice the drain on your battery.

The key question is, how will you camp? If you seldom have hookups, I'd recommend gas only with direct spark ignition. It only costs about $30 or $40 more, but you'd need to run some wires. 110 volt element adds about $100 more.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #11

i just saw a pic of a 5118A suburban water heater. it has the old robert shaw control that was soooooooo trouble free. I was aware of the control still being available for aftermarket, at twice the price of the china control. if this water heater indeed comes with the robert shaw then this is the only one to buy in pilot model.

edit: it does indeed look like they are ditching that black knob valve
red knob good....black knob bad
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Thank you all for these responses.

I have decided to junk the water heater and replace with a new Suburban SW6P. I got it for $250. We went cheap since we aren't sure how much longer we will keep this popup.

Interesting conversation about a water heater option with the 12 volt direct spark. Even after reading it, I'm not convinced I would have wanted the feature. Perhaps if we did more boondocking and I had to ration our propane.

Crockett, if I get motivated, I will post a photo of the anode rod. It is completely rotten with just a thin 'clothes hanger thick' wire remaining.

Again, all of these comments were appreciated! What a generous forum this is!

Gordon
Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #13

yeah...thats toast...no pic needed. the 5118A is identical to the sw6p except for the control i mentioned earlier. thats why the fire sale on the sw6p. suburban is most likely bailing on a dismal product. hope she lasts the duration of your ownership. changed one of those valves on a service call. lasted one day. 2 trips to the sticks for no pay. no warranty from surburban. you can understand my animosity...
Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #14

I'm hoping it will last 4 years max.

Most online vendors want and extra $200 for the 'red knob!'

Crossing my fingers.

Gordon
in the process of replacing/upgrading lots of systems
Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

4 years?...do the toes too
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #16

Update: The water heater was a breeze to install. This is an easy fix for anyone considering it, and, a water heater is nice to have on a camping trip. Mostly, we like the hot water for dishes (no more having to heat water on the stove) and a quick 'sponge-bath' is nice before bed or after a long hike.

The water heater I did end up buying does NOT have the red-dial control that Crockett refers to. He has be worried about this newer/cheaper/Chinese gas control unit. Time will tell.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #17

99.9% of the stuff I worry about never manifests itself. I will continue to worry about this so you will have years of trouble free operation.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #18

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater, pop up