Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Liquid plumber or Drano?

Any contras against using these in the outdoor kitchen sink drain? It's not completely stopped up, just getting slow. Have tried to keep fats out of drains in sinks, don't know what causes...
campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregirl57 View Post
Any contras against using these in the outdoor kitchen sink drain? It's not completely stopped up, just getting slow. Have tried to keep fats out of drains in sinks, don't know what causes...
Good heavens NO!

Try pouring some Dawn liquid down that drain to break up grease and food. If that doesn't work, try one of the products in the rv store to 'eat' the waste.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Liquid plumber or Drano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Good heavens NO!...
x10, never use those caustic Chems in the Rv holding tank. It is extremely dangerous should anyone have to work on it. Also not sure if Rv plumbing fixtures like hepo valve can withstand that strong of a chem.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

X2 with Snowbird. Too much of a possible hazard when you go to dump tanks. Don't want any of that splashed on ya.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks. Figured as much.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

I've been a fan of the Drano foaming cleaners at my house. Haven't needed it in my trailer (yet).

The foaming cleaner doesn't just run along the bottom of the pipe but is supposed to cover the entire inside of the pipe to clean more grease/soap buildup.

It's safe for plastic pipe but I would probably wait to use it until I was at a full hookup site so I could flush well after the 1 hour sit time.

Before resorting to chemical warfare it might be a good idea to just remove the p-trap first and see how much buildup there is in it. If minimal then consider just running a stiff wire with the end bent back and wound into a loop down the discharge pipe. Rotating the wire as you push it down the pipe will scrape crud off the walls of the pipe and when done just flush drain with boiling water.

My wife had a bad habit of pouring grease from the frying pan down the drain while running hot water. Worked fine until water got cold and grease congealed about 20' down the line. Cost me a visit from a plumber to have him snake it out. Two hours of his work cost me half a month's house payment

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #7

Do you have the strainer screens to go in the drains to keep chunks from going down.
Since its outside, have you tried running a waterhose in the drain sealed with a disrag to try and flush it through. Same deal with air, like from a shop vac going either direction . Had you taken off the trap?
Like the others said, chemical means would not be an approach I'd take. Did you try a couple buckets of hot water?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Hmmm How about Thrift (professional stuff)? It's posta be safe for all finishes, septic, salad dressing etc... I will look it up.

I personally think it would be in the trap and an easy repair.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

I’m a plumber. There are many chemicals you could use that would work, but I won’t mention them here due to the obvious general objection to the use of chemicals and the unwarranted hysteria. I haven’t met a Drano or Liquid Plumber yet that is harsh enough to even make my hands itch. They aren’t strong enough to hurt any of your RVs plumbing. It’s worth giving it a shot.

Since I am a plumber, I own equipment for clearing drains. If I was in your situation, I would be using my Ridgid K-50 machine with 7-1/2’ sections of 5/8” cable. I would be attaching a 1” grease cutting head (spade) to the cable. I would remove the trap and snake from there to the tank — maybe two or three times. After putting the trap back on, I would finish by filling the sink full with hot water and let it rip.

You can rent the exact same equipment I just mentioned at most tool rental places. Make sure you get the head I mentioned because a standard corkscrew-type retrieving head won’t get the job done right.

If you want to get fancy (and wet), rent a small jetter. That will do a nice job.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #10

Hmm I see nothing on RVs

Thrift Drain Cleaner | Thrift Marketing, Inc.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I personally think it would be in the trap and an easy repair.
I have snaked thousands of sink drains, and it is very, very rare that the stoppage is in the trap. It is either before it, in a lavatory’s popup assembly, or after it, in the horizontal piping. With kitchen drains, if the trap is clogged, it is always because somebody batch-fed their disposal with something like spaghetti or potato peels — it’s never due to grease.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m a plumber. There are many chemicals you could use that would work, but I won’t mention them here due to the obvious general objection to the use of chemicals and the unwarranted hysteria. I haven’t met a Drano or Liquid Plumber yet that is harsh enough to even make my hands itch. They aren’t strong enough to hurt any of your RVs plumbing. It’s worth giving it a shot.

Since I am a plumber, I own equipment for clearing drains. If I was in your situation, I would be using my Ridgid K-50 machine with 7-1/2’ sections of 5/8” cable. I would be attaching a 1” grease cutting head (spade) to the cable. I would remove the trap and snake from there to the tank — maybe two or three times. After putting the trap back on, I would finish by filling the sink full with hot water and let it rip.

You can rent the exact same equipment I just mentioned at most tool rental places. Make sure you get the head I mentioned because a standard corkscrew-type retrieving head won’t get the job done right.

If you want to get fancy (and wet), rent a small jetter. That will do a nice job.

Bruce

That might probably get 'er cleaned out!

In addition to what Bruce said... I would add, just be sure you use enough Dawn or whatever your favorite flavor of dishwashing liquid is... so that you ensure that all the fats and oils are dissolved and stay suspended in the dishwater.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I have snaked thousands of sink drains, and it is very, very rare that the stoppage is in the trap. It is either before it, in a lavatory’s popup assembly, or after it, in the horizontal piping. With kitchen drains, if the trap is clogged, it is always because somebody batch-fed their disposal with something like spaghetti or potato peels — it’s never due to grease.

Bruce
LOL I play a plumber on TV and the clear pipe PVC drain and trap always has the stoppage.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
LOL I play a plumber on TV and the clear pipe PVC drain and trap always has the stoppage.
I see those ads on TV, too. I love how they show that stoppage just whooshing on down the drain. It would make my life much easier and cleaner if all I had to do was drop a trap and shake it out. However, I wouldn’t make much money that way.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #15

Just to go against the grain, our owners manual actually says to use Liquid Drano or Liquid Plumber as long as it's labeled as being safe for metal and plastic, which it is. Info can be found on their MSDS sheets too. We use Liquid Drano in our black and gray tanks couple times a year and have been doing it for 5 seasons on our current TT. NO issues whatsover. It's easy to get it into the black tank down the toilet and into our gray tanks, the only way is down the sink drains. I make sure there's a few gallons of water in the tanks, add the Drano and then drive around a bit somewhere and then drain the tanks so it doesn't sit in there for days or weeks.

A stoppage may not be in the drain line, but the pipe below a kitchen sink and into tank can get coated with grease & grunge and if water in the P-trap has dried up, it can get smelly. 'Course, you shouldn't be putting grease or greasy stuff down the drain.

I'm a Drano fan... If the manufacturer of Drano and an RV both say it's okay, I trust them.

It gets the tank sensors back to factory clean, factory fresh. However, it doesn't take long before faulty tank readings return.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #16

The best way to cure grease related blockages is to make sure no grease goes down the drain to begin with. That means even going to the extent of wiping any remaining food, oil, or grease residue off plates etc. Scraping alone can still allow the grease to be flushed down the drain and unless using some harsh soap, like in a dishwasher, over time some of it is going to stick on the way down. Grease sticks first then food particles are collected by it. Layer by layer it builds up.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #17

I would caution the OP to confirm a HepvO trap is not used in the outdoor kitchen sink before using a snake. This type valve is commonly used in applications where there is insufficient vertical drop for a traditional p trap. I did notice that the trap can tolerate some caustic chems. I still wouldn’t want to meet up with them at a dump station tho.

From the website install pdf:
https://hepvo.com/wp-content/uploads...uide-Oct18.pdf

No routine or seasonal maintenance is required. However, should you blow-out your drainage lines do not exceed 80-100 psi.

HepvO is resistant to standard caustic-based drain cleaners. It is also resistant to acid-based cleaners with concentrations up to 10%. When flushing with higher concentrations of acid based cleaner, the valve must be removed before the operation

If mechanical drain cleaning devices are to be used it is necessary to first remove HepvO from the Waste System.

This provides a useful access point for servicing downstream pipework
It is good practice to rinse the HepvO valve with clean water after any maintenance procedure
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #18

And do we know how tolerant the seals are in typical RV dump valves, to the action of caustic chemicals?

Just asking...

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #19

Quote:

Bruce
There is a sticker above the sink telling me to remove something (I can't remember what) before using mechanical devices. Said it could damage
Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #20
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Chances are...

Other than the 'P' trap under the sink, the drain is pretty much a straight shot to the gray tank.

If the clog isn't in the 'P' trap, then a snake should clear the clog.

Or...

I had a clog in the double kitchen sink in my 5'ver once, and I put the drain plug in one sink and held it tight with one hand while I ran the water and used a plunger on the other side of the sink and got rid of the clog.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote