Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Scoundrel

Location of Antifreeze By-Pass Valve

Below are three photos of my water heater and water pump set up (2014 Micro-Lite 19fd). At present the camper is winterized but after our next winter storm system passes I'll go ahead and de-winterize. I found the water heater is not set to by-pass so I presume I'll get antifreeze coming out when I pull the anode. My question has to do with the location and position of the antifreeze by-bass valve knob...

The first photo is the entire set up. The second photo focuses on the water pump and nearby plumbing. I presume the antifreeze by-pass valve is the black valve on the far left with the hose extending out to the right. In the third photo, its hard to see because the valve is upside down (it almost seems like you'd have to try extra hard to install it like that) but the valve knob is open toward the hose extending to the right (I presume the antifreeze line). I'm seeing this all correctly right?

Just learning as much as I can from the forums before flushing and sanitizing.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

It may just be me, but I don't see any photos.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Sorry, I had trouble uploading the photos. 1, 2 , 3 from top to bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040417.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	136637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040418.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	136638   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040419.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	136639  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #4

You are correct in that your water heater is not bypassed. The valve on the water pump handle is pointing to the open line, which is probably the antifreeze fill. Try to follow the line to see where it goes. Point the valve handle to the line that runs through the floor.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #5
Scoundrel

Thanks Boo. The presumed antifreeze line drops into the floor but is unaccessible from underneath, but as best I can tell it has to be it.

Thanks for looking at it.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Hope I helped. If all else fails, just put some water in your fresh tank and turn on the pump. If it sucks water you are good, if it sucks air then turn the valve.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Scoundrel

Thanks. You did help. We're still getting down into the low 30s at night but hopefully within a week or so I can de-winterize.

Rich J.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Site Team

I went ahead and labeled the valves to make it easier to understand.

As your pic does show, you have the hot water outlet valve and cold water inlet valves in the open position, while the cold to hot water crossover valve is closed. This is correct for how you want it to be for normal camping use.

However, if this RV is supposed to be winterized, it is not. This link explains it better:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Now, your antifreeze intake valve seems to be pointing to a line running northeast. You say this line runs into a floor. I wouldn't think that line would run to the freshwater tank instead of the line pointing north, but you may want to check both to see. As you have correctly surmised, you do want the valve handle pointing to the freshwater tank line now, and not to a possibly antifreeze intake line.

Do let us know what you find, as that is interesting and I have not seen such yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waterheatervalves.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	136840  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Site Team

A quick question, as it's hard to see from the pic and shadows. This electric cord I have circled with an arrow pointing to........ what is it connected to>

The reason I ask, is it appears to possibly be to your waters heaters electric heating element, but I can't tell if it's connected to the junction box on the water heater, or if it's just laying there.

A lot of RV's are shipped without the power cord being plugged into an outlet or such, and I was wanting to make sure yours was. Also, some dealers/people physically unplug this cord when winterizing. If you have an electric heating element, and it works, then just disregard this question.

If it does indeed turn out to be a male end of a cord that is not plugged into an outlet. DON'T plug it in until we talk further.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waterheaterelectric.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	136841  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Scoundrel

Thanks Wm for looking at my set up and photo labeling. The cord that you've circled is the power cord and it is plugged into an electrical outlet. Here's a better photo below. Today I'm trying to trace down a leak. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-133088.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040425.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	136846  

Tags
antifreeze, cat, location, valve