Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

Looking for some help. Underbelly leak!

Hi there,
I'm new to this site but hoping some one on here can shed some light onto what might be happening to our trailer! We have a 32 BHS Freedom Express maple leaf edition. The last couple times we used our trailer we noticed water coming from the underbelly when the trailer was lifted to attach it to the truck hitch. We had it to a repair shop after the first time this happened, they filled the grey tanks and noticed no leaks. Today it happened again. Our shower was not used this trip so I'll rule that out. The outdoor kitchen sink was used as was the galley and bathroom sink. The water that came out has no odour and was soapy. See attached pictures. It is a sickening sight. We have had several trailers and never ever had this issue. I hope no major damage is done 😕. Does anyone have any insight or previous experience with this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	143492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	771.1 KB
ID:	143493  
CampingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

Not a plumber but I would check all the joints in the drain from the sinks. If you have storage under sinks it may have been bumped, cracked or installed wrong. Cut the underbelly and look, see what's going on under there if nothing leaks above it. Probably an easy fix. Not a pressure leak if soap is in it.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, I will check this out. Nothing visible inside the galley and bathroom cabinets but could be something going on just below the floor.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

I bet a joint is not glued. Or maybe shook apart from not being glued enough.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

We have the same thing. It is the grey water. Is it better to cut a hole big enough to get to it or drop the panel?
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Scoundrel

I had a very similar problem but with a different TT. Here's how to find the culprit... Since the repair shop filled the grey tank and there were no leaks lets rule that out for now. Using only ONE SINK AT A TIME, fill the basin with soapy water and drain. Do it again and again with the same sink and keep checking for the leak. When you're convinced you've done this enough and that it must be another sink, then move on the next one. Do the same thing & keep checking for soapy water on the ground. Eventually you'll discover which sink is causing the problem - stop using that sink until you can trace the drain plumbing which might have a loose fitting or may even have a cracked pipe (thats what I found on mine).

As others here have mentioned you really should remove the underbelly cover to allow the bottom of the TT to dry thoroughly. A lot of work but you'll also be learning more about your TT.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has had this issue. I've been looking for answers online and have been turning up very little useful information. Fingers crossed you have pointed me in the right direction.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

Removing a section of the under belly is not that bad. Make sure you cut it along the seams. Or cross members. I just did this on mine to fix a busted black tank seam. Yours sounds much easier and less messy. I would have loved for mine to have been gray water than black.
I had to remove self taping screws along the sides and on the 2 cross members, cut the rotoplsstic along these seams. Pulled it down and rolled it out. I did not cut it all the way across. Goes back easy and I used 3 inch gorilla tape to fix the cut section plus put the screws all back in. I did it leave open for 3 weeks due to the black tank issue. Drying everything out. When,I first did all this using a red neck creeper. I came into the house and my wife said you smell like crap. For sure I told her..
Hope it works for you.
Randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Lol! Thanks for your help. We are going to tackle this on the weekend. Thinking we will start with the outside kitchen sink and work our way though the trailer as suggested earlier. I was afraid of a black water leak at first but the soap suds and lack of smell seem like it's grey water for sure. I hope! I'll keep you posted! So appreciative of all the awesome feedback and advice. You guys rock!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingQueen View Post
Lol! Thanks for your help. We are going to tackle this on the weekend. Thinking we will start with the outside kitchen sink and work our way though the trailer as suggested earlier. I was afraid of a black water leak at first but the soap suds and lack of smell seem like it's grey water for sure.
If you get "lucky" and find that its the very first sink that you test, continue to test the others the exact same way, just in case two sinks connect to the same (possibly faulty) drain pipe.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, underbelly