Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Question Low Water Pressure

Just Got the new Fifth wheel a few weeks back took it on the maiden voyage to Dover for the weekend. All went well with one exception, The bathroom sink and shower have extremley low water pressure. The galley sink is fine. Rockwood Signature Series 8280WS if that matters.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
ktman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #2

A couple of things come to mind. I'm sure others will join in with other ideas.

First, I would check the screen on the faucet to make sure there is no debris plugging it. Although you have a new unit, there could have been debris in the tank or lines from construction which has now flowed to the faucet and is plugging it up.

If they are clear, you could remove the water restrictors. They are mandated in new plumbing to help conserve water, but if you are in an area with low water pressure to start with they can make it worse. Removing them will increase the flow, but you will use more water. Not much of a concern if you are using hook ups, but dry camping you would have to monitor your water usage closely.

As far as the shower head, no matter what I did, I was not happy with it until I replaced it with a Oxygenics shower head. Great improvement and it uses less water. It uses air to increase the pressure while using less water. Do a search here for "Oxygenics" or "shower head" and you should find good reports for it.

Good luck!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

We picked up our new TT a few weeks ago and during the walk through, our dealer told us that if you install the filter into the water purifier it will significantly decrease the water pressure.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
We picked up our new TT a few weeks ago and during the walk through, our dealer told us that if you install the filter into the water purifier it will significantly decrease the water pressure.
Don't believe everything the salesman tells you!!!
A clogged filter will significantly lower your pressure but a good one
won't.
What's the point in having a filter if you can't use it?
There are many different cartridges that you can put in there.
Just go to any big box home store such as Lowes, Home Depot or even
a good hardware store.
Don't get one that is very small micron rating or it will clog too soon.
Many of us just go for one that says "activated carbon" good for
silt and odor and taste.
These typically cost in the $10 range for a 2 pack.

Happy Camping!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

As far as the shower head, no matter what I did, I was not happy with it until I replaced it with a Oxygenics shower head.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Are ther specific shower heads for RVs. If so, what one did you buy as there appears to be several models available.

Also,, Where did you purchase it from?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

Terry, the Oxygenetic shower threads into the same fitting as almost all home shower fittings. Also, they are designed for RV's, and are usually available in white or chrome. They also have a built- in water shutoff valve; but it doesn't completely stop it. I got the optional shutoff valve not knowing this, and never used it. Shower works great! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Thanks to All for the suggestions, I moved from a tt to the fith wheel and moved the shower head with me. It is an oxgenics and was procured at camping world online. I did install the water filter into the system before departing, I will start by checking the lines again, then I will remove the filter from the onboard system and will post results as well as filter type.
I do have the ability to measure flow in gpm at each tap.
once again Thanks to all for the help
Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

Well I had the time and enough of a dry spell to work on the water situation. With or without the filter in place and wether i use the pump or city water the bathroom has low pressure. The galley sink is fine. Outdoor shower is also weak. I verified all valves and screens are clean, Any other thoughts? the shower is unusable.
thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Finally got it figured out, the water pressure issue was resolved by cleaning the strainer to the pump and the water filter housing.
Thanks to all who responded